Piano Forum logo
November 18, 2017, 03:01:23 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Hidden Piano Treasure of Jean Sibelius

Strangely enough, it would be quite easy to attend piano recitals for years and never hear a note of Sibelius. Now Norwegian pianist Leif-Ove Andsnes makes an adventurous raid into Sibelius’ native Finland and want us to change that. It is not surprising that his playing is immaculately detailed and sympathetic Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New suscriptor and easy question about Rachmaninoff prelude op3 nº2  (Read 975 times)
ccr
PS Silver Member

« on: July 01, 2005, 09:14:46 AM »

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for some months and have found really useful, so finally I've signed in.

My name is Carlos, I'm 32 yeards old and live in Spain, so sorry if my english is not very good (don't mind if anyone care to point mistakes in what I write).

I studied 1,5 years of piano when I was 9 years old and then left it. This year I've adquired a decent digital piano (don't warn to torture girlfriend and neighbors) and restarted studying piano. For the moment I don't have a teacher because I can't commit on a fixed timetable because of my work and other hobbys (cycling).

I learned Minuetto in G from Anna Maria Magdalena Book and the Mussette in D major, and then jumped to try rondo alla turca from Mozart, which is giving me a hard time specially the last part right hand chords. But somehow I've managed to play the notes without too many mistakes.  Grin

I've also started fur elise and learned past the first interruption, but I've temporally parked it because I would like to learn Rachmaninoff prelude Op3, number 2. Saddly my theory level is not as good as I'd like and I already have questions in 3erd measure that maybe someone can help me with:

In third measure, the third LH chord have a double sharp symbol on F, but I don't know if I should play GAG (F two steps sharp) or G#AG# (F# two steps sharp).

Also, two chords forward, the score says FBF but the F's have a natural sign and then a sharp sign. Which notes should I play?

Thanks everyone

Carlos CR
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Prelude
ccr
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 10:25:51 AM »

Hello,

didn't notice that I can include an image. Let's see if my question is now clearer:

Kassaa
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 10:44:32 AM »

It's G-A#-G, because there's a sharp before the a. Double sharp on the f means that you go 2 half notes up (whole note). So f will be g, if the double sharp is for the g, it will be played as an A.

The second cord you mean is F# - C - F#

Everything will pass, and the world will perish but the Waldstein Sonata will remain.
ccr
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 11:04:48 AM »

It's G-A#-G, because there's a sharp before the a. Double sharp on the f means that you go 2 half notes up (whole note). So f will be g, if the double sharp is for the g, it will be played as an A.

The second cord you mean is F# - C - F#

Ok. Thank you very much.  I think now I understand the rules for sharps, doubles and naturals. Smiley

As a side note for other beginners trying the same piece, I'm starting to notice that my chord accuracy is not good enough (yet) for this piece. I can't always press all the notes simultaneously. Sad

Best Regards

Carlos CR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: