Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: The Sheik of Araby  (Read 3795 times)

Offline goansongo

The Sheik of Araby
on: July 14, 2005, 10:01:08 AM
I recorded this a long time ago.  I'm using my digital piano.  It's really hard to play the notes accurately because the keys are barely weighted.  It's called "The Sheik of Araby."  And yeah, I know the timing is off in a lot of places. 

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Sheik of Araby
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 07:41:28 AM
Excellent ! This takes me back to my childhood, when my father played tune after tune at the wonderful drunken parties at our house. I have a deep affection for this sort of playing and you do it well. Two outstanding modern exponents of it are Rod Miller and John Gill. Many such recordings came out in the fifties and sixties on vinyl, some a lot better than others. I think Dick Hyman, recording under the name of Knuckles O'Toole, was one of the better ones.

Although many players do not take this way of playing seriously, in fact it is very diffcult to do with flair and life. Let us have some more please !

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline reubke

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 04:55:55 AM
I enjoyed it, especially when the tempo picked up.  Check out Fat Waller's live performance of this piece on cd....it just glides in his hands.

Offline goansongo

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 11:43:29 AM
This actually was Rod Miller's interpretation of the song.  I used to go to Disneyland every now and then to sit down and watch him play.  I even played for him once, it was horrible.   Haha. 

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:03:19 PM
That's awesome!   :o

Could you send sheet music to nick_pelletier2000@hotmail.com

I need that!!!  It sounds so good, my dad wants me to learn a piece like that, we were watching a movie, and a piece with same style was playing, my dad is like you have to learn a piece like that.  If you can't send then w/e.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline goansongo

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 09:13:13 AM
Hehe, actually, I don't have the sheet music for this.  I played it by watching Rod Miller play it and by studying the melody.  The left hand in ragtime is rather easy to figure out. 

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 11:42:11 AM
You figured this out all by yourself?! :o :o

Damn, Anson, great job! I liked listening to your recording :o
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." - Maurice Ravel

Offline goansongo

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 12:05:17 PM
Thanks for the compliment!  It's an ok recording, but it isn't as good as your L'Isle Joyeuse...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert