Piano Forum

Topic: Fingering for Manchega (by Gottschalk)  (Read 1775 times)

Offline baso

• PS Silver Member
Fingering for Manchega (by Gottschalk)
on: July 21, 2005, 12:01:09 AM
I am currently practicing Manchega (Etude de Concert, op.38 - RO143) by Gottschalk and for some reason I am having a hard time figuring the best fingering for some parts to maintain a good, consistent tempo.  I was wondering if anybody here can recommend a source for a music sheet of this piece that has some fingering guides that I can use. 

I am thinking that maybe I just need to play this piece more often to gain speed but I want to make sure that I am actually using good fingering.  For the Gottschalk fans out there, is it a crime if I don't play this as fast as Licad or Legrand?

Offline joell12068

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering for Manchega (by Gottschalk)
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 12:18:19 AM
Unfortunately I've only seen one edition of this piece and it has no fingerings at all.

As far as speed goes, I've heard recordings ranging from 3:00 (Alan Feinberg) to 4:15 (Philip Martin).  I wouldn't recommend taking any longer than four minutes, otherwise it loses all excitement.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 01:14:42 AM
Which bars are giving you strife?
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline baso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 08:28:38 PM
Bars 33 to about 43 slow me down a little bit.  However, I carefully re-evaluated my fingering last night and it seems that what I am using right now is the best (and most relaxed) at least for me.  I guess I just need to keep on practicing.  Thanks!

BTW, the edition that I have was published by WM Hall and Son (NY).  I guess this is the only version available out there...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert