Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: My compostions (Please have a listen) Midi files  (Read 2601 times)

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
My compostions (Please have a listen) Midi files
on: July 21, 2005, 12:35:44 PM
Well I took this class at my school in compostions (Since I go to a music school they offer classes like this I didn't say no)

Here are the compostions I wrote for it

A Minuet in F major - My first compostion (I was a guitarist back then so it isn't that pianist but they get the further they progress) This was based on a Mozart minuet, possibly K2 I think

The DAAARING Invention - Only a few seconds long, it was more of a joke then a real compostion, it is quite daring in it's harmony, by this time I haden't got a full grip of Counterpoint yet.

Canon in Eb minor - It speaks for itself. It ends quite odd but since it isn't supposed to have an ending...meh. ;)

Moscow 1 -  This is my biggest compostion to the date. It is over 43 pages (Since the orchestra parts take up quite a lot of space)

This is more pianist then my other pieces and much maturer but still very immature. :D
This is based on 2 themes one in F# minor and B minor which are variated through the piece. It is missing 2 major transtions which makes it incomplete. Also the midi really sucks, the left hand,  the piano takes over the theme from the orchestra, should not be played that strictly, it is notated in 11-tuplets, and the same goes for the left hand near the end, the left hand should have so much more rubato and not sound like DAMP DAMP DAMP DAMP when it plays chords over the 2nd theme.

Moscow 2 -  This is a piece I wrotely very quickly. It's transtions is not as smooth as they should be. It opens with Theme A, then goes to Theme B (Which sounds very Chopin on a real piano) and gets variated and then all of the sudden to theme C in G# minor which I make a variation of, a fugue in B major and then theme A again. The trastions is very Rondo like but isn't really one... or is it?

My arpeggio etude: I finished writting this a few days ago. It is very complicated to write a piece based on a technique. :D It is very fun playing.

I would LOVE some feedback... Please?  :'(

Zip file of the midis
ftp://pogotrucci:1shred1@ftp.passagen.se/Compo.zip
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline chrysalis_

• PS Silver Member
Re: My compostions (Please have a listen) Midi files
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 02:35:50 PM
they're quite cool... especially the arp etude opus 2-1 :P

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 02:36:56 PM
Hahaha thanks, kind stranger. I'm happy to get at least some feedback.  ;D
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 02:45:10 AM
perhaps you would like to explain the meaning of the title of the 'moscow' pieces?

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:16:17 AM
 Great job! This is absolutely great. Especially Moscow 1. ;)
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 01:01:48 PM
Hahaha thanks so much. :D

The idea from the beginning behind the Moscow piece was to show different sides of Winter, the first one being the more harsh side of the Russian winter while the otherone was to show a more romantic side but I when finished I was like "This sounds nothing like that" but I keept the name. :D
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 03:32:50 PM
isn't the swedish winter harsh enough? or is 'stockholm' not as cool a title?

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 03:57:31 PM
Hahahaha
No, Swedish winter isn't that harsh and cold (Except the top of the country)
We have the same tempratures as Canada.

And since Moscow was the think I saw infront of me when improvising up the themes and such well... why not. ^^
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 04:06:22 PM
i see
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert