Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Why is Piano Competitive  (Read 1928 times)

Offline notmello928

• PS Silver Member
Why is Piano Competitive
on: July 23, 2005, 05:04:39 PM
I was just thinking about the fact that so many people are so competitive about their piano playing. Now i have to admit that i have heard other piannists playing and have been very jealouse, but who hasnt... BUt i see playing the piano as an art that should be used for having fun and for others enjoyment, and not to degrade someone or try to in someway show you are better than them. Now i would love to be a virtuoso, but i am not, i accept it and i just do my best.  BUt i was just wondering why people become so competitive about their playing)aside from obviosuly competitions). It just seems odd.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Why is Piano Competitive
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 06:13:28 AM
I don't really know. I've missed out on the competitive gene in everything, never mind music, so I cannot suggest an answer. For a large number of people competition in just about every endeavour does seem to make the world go around though. Fortunately, and just as well for me, it isn't compulsory.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 07:40:56 AM
succeeding sometimes means being the better amongst others in *most* people..not just in piano..in anything
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 11:11:46 AM
yes.  i try not to be competitive, but i would love to be a virtuoso and can't accept anything but that.  sometimes you get it in your head that you can be just as good as the person on stage you happen to be watching.  it's called dreaming. 

of course, i don't think i'd poison their food at a competition.  i'm too old for competitions anyway.  and, when i was younger i got married and had children, so that put me out of the running for competitions then, too.  i'm much happier, probably, having a family.

there are a few people that MAKE you root for them when they are competing because they can touch you with their music in a way that others 'strive' at but don't 'give' at.  if you think of music as giving and sharing - it ends up that many win because they weren't trying to be the best or be at the top.  they were thinking about the music and how it should SOUND.  the best musicians seem to have a natural instinct about this - and the years of lessons start taking a form that people can see a definate progression of an artist.  (don't really know what that would be for me, except 99% perspiration)  i can make a few people think i'm really good - but it takes convincing a whole audience almost every time.  that will take a few more years for me - but, it's worth the challenge.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 04:24:06 PM
There is nothing odd about competition.

In a market-driven capitalist world, competition is necessary to decide who will get the most money. If making music is what earns you your money, there is no way avoiding to compete with others, directly or indirectly.

Another reason to compete is simply ego, being able to say "I am better than so-and-so".

One can be "better" in two ways: first, genuinely being better; second, degrading others to make oneself look better. Look at businesses, politicians, actors, athletes, artists, etc. for examples.

If something is only a hobby, then the only competition I personally accept is the competition with myself. I'd like to be able to do better than I am doing now. One can look at others as role models, for inspiration and motivation, and one can even be jealous, as long as it is channelled properly.

Search for "competition" in this forum, and you'll find some more threads where opinions are being discussed.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 05:03:53 PM
if you think of music as giving and sharing....

thank you, pianonut.
dignity, love and joy.

Offline Appenato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 07:15:26 PM
I was just thinking about the fact that so many people are so competitive about their piano playing. Now i have to admit that i have heard other piannists playing and have been very jealouse, but who hasnt... BUt i see playing the piano as an art that should be used for having fun and for others enjoyment, and not to degrade someone or try to in someway show you are better than them. Now i would love to be a virtuoso, but i am not, i accept it and i just do my best.  BUt i was just wondering why people become so competitive about their playing)aside from obviosuly competitions). It just seems odd.

exactly my thoughts.... for competitions, winning is the aim but what after that? what does the pianist do but hit up another competition? sure, it's impressive to hear someone won such and such competition because you think "wow, they must be good." but... i've met some competitive people and it goes to their head... it's either all ego or, if they don't get the place they want it's "i suck, why can't i be as good as so-and-so? i'm no good." - even if they play brilliantly... they think they have to be better than that and give themselves a hard time, blah blah blah.  ::)  play for the love of music!

now, aside from this, yes, as i'm sure everyone else has in some way, i've compared myself to others and thought i wasn't any good, and was wary about studying music in college because i know that i can compare and be hard on myself.... but it doesn't get me anywhere doing that (comparing), and i've never wanted to be compared... why am i doing it to myself? it's not what it's about... so when i get that way i have to tell myself to let it go. i have to remember why i've gotten so far as i have and it's only because i love what i do and do it for enjoyment.

k... enough rambling on... i'll leave, but on two quotes from  Alicia DeLarrocha: 

"If the pianist is any good, they don't need a competiton."

"I play music not because I want to be compared, but because I love it."

;)

When music fails to agree to the ear, to soothe the ear the heart and the senses, then it has missed the point. - Maria Callas

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 07:50:28 PM
No matter how talented you are, you need to go out and promote yourself and seek opportunities. Competition is one way of gaining publicity for yourself and, possibly, concert engagements if you win.

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 10:45:17 PM
competition is healthy...its when it falls under the wrong attitude..this is when obscenity in behavior manifests..
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline alzado

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 05:37:58 PM
For me, piano is not competitive.  No one hears me play.  Actually, I use the piano to explore music, rather than to become a highly skilled pianist.

I believe in the last year I have become very good at reading very difficult scores. 

If you want someone who can blaze through extremely fast passages like a whirlwind, I am definitely NOT your guy!

For those who enjoy piano in a competitive way--  go for it. 

I'm just trying to emphasize that some of us quiet people are really not on that wavelength at all.

Offline gorbee natcase

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 07:49:22 AM
To set and maintain high standards
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)      What ever Bernhard said

Offline Aziel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 03:28:33 AM
Why Not?
 ♪...Aziel Musica... ♪

Offline piazzo23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 04:31:33 AM
I think is the same with composers. Why should we know the name of the composer, or  recognize his face, or private life?

It would be nice that if Rachmaninov, so to speak, composed a Piano Concerto, we could listen to it, without relating that music with a specific guy. Anonimous composer. Like with gregorian chants.

I don't like to think of music, as something for all humans. I want it all for myself. But that´s not possible, because people wouldn´t compose.

I like to think that what I´m listening is my unique experience. And not that thing that Prokofiev composed. But , i´m contradicting myself...

If you are enjoying an ice-cream, why to know who was that guy preparing it?

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 06:24:03 AM
I suppose piano is also very competitive because a lot of people play it! It is more "popular" because it is a very versatile and fairly easy instrument to pick up (different from mastering). It is also a performance art on top of it being a popular instrument, and there's something about a performing artist...It is very competitive because there is something to "prove" when you're on stage...I don't know why that is but I have met a lot of very snobby musicians who aren't that great but like to think they are :p There's nothing wrong with competition, it drives us forwards, but I can't stand musician snobbery..hehe
"Classical music snobs are some of the snobbiest snobs of all. Often their snobbery masquerades as helpfulnes... unaware that they are making you feel small in order to make themselves feel big..."ÜÜÜ
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert