Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Was: Too Much Wrist Action? (Now I'm changing the subject)  (Read 1398 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
In the thread that i ripped this off from, bernhard wrote:
--------
The movements that should make the basis of one’s technique are:

1.   shifting of the arm to position the fingers (so that the fingers to not “reach for the keys).

2.   Rotation of the forearm to lift the fingers (instead of the “lifting fingers high” so prized by Hanon and their supporters)

3.   Back and forwards movements of the arm to negotiate the black keys and bringing the thumb and little finger in position. (instead of twisting the hand on the horizontal plane to accommodate the short fingers).

4.   Forearm and hand moving as a single unit to transfer weight to the keys (that is, bracing the wrist – instead of letting the wrist collapse or lifting the wrist exaggeratedly).

99.9% of the passages in music can be negotiated by using these movements and their co-ordination. This will guarantee effortlessness in playing and absence of injuries.
--------

i read in another great post how to use these movements in conjunctyion to make a fast pearly scale. that was really helpful. I would ilke bernhard or someone else to possibly explain how these movements combine to assist in "divded hand" passages, in particular difficult bach fugues from the toccatas such as D major or G minor.
in the counter subject of the g minor, which appears first in the left hand (upwardly ascending triplets) its easy to apply the motions. then when the subject and counter subject is combined into one hand it's not as clear to me how these help, esp. that of rotation. Any advice?

thanks so much
andrew howzer
 :)

Offline i_m_robot

• PS Silver Member
Re: Was: Too Much Wrist Action? (Now I'm changing the subject)
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 07:52:56 PM
someone should  make topics like these sticky

or make a whole subsection so people dont make a new topic everytime they join the forum

someone ::)
WATASHI NO NAMAE WA

AI EMU ROBATO DESU

立派のエビの苦闘及びは立派である

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert