Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: dyslexie??  (Read 1841 times)

Offline fliszt

• PS Silver Member
dyslexie??
on: July 25, 2005, 11:00:51 AM
hi,

i have a student who also has dyslexie and now i'm noticing that he also has problems with reading the notes. Does anyone else have this problem? what can i do with him to make it a bit easier or learning him to read better??

Offline Astyron

• PS Silver Member
Re: dyslexie??
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 03:24:05 PM
Believe it or not, sometimes tipping printed music on it's side helps them understand and read it better.  Then the staff notes read from left to right, just like the keys on the keyboard.  You'd tip it so the clefs are up, the bass cleff is to the left side of the tipped grand staff (left hand), and the treble cleff is to the right side of the tipped grand staff.  I did this for a few weeks with a student until they made the connection and then we turned the music back to the normal way.  It helped them. 

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Re: dyslexie??
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 04:49:34 PM
I agree the regular way to play music is counter-intuitive
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert