Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: dark stuff  (Read 2245 times)

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
dark stuff
on: July 16, 2003, 05:28:30 AM
hey all, my girlfriend just dumped me.....anyone know of any dark and depressing piano music i could get my hands on? i tend 2 b really happy and all so i don't really ever pay attention to the dark stuff....but ya know
rach on!

Offline RiskyP

• PS Silver Member
Re: dark stuff
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:16:55 AM
dj, I know exactly how you feel. I don't really think depressing piano music will help, it would be better to play something romantic instead to get the juices going again, but if you insist. (I actually like some "depressing pieces" from time to time when life gets complicated so I will give it a shot)

These are not exactly depressing, but are nice when you just want to reflect on your life:

Grieg -  I Balladetone (ballad) --- ballads always end with loss, usually a loved one is lost.

Rachmaninoff - Romance in F Minor --- reflects the double-edged sword that love is (happiness vs. despair)

Rachmaninoff - Elegie Op. 3 --- not depressing at all, but suits the occasion - very passionate; you can feel the pain, yet it is so beautiful, it really touches my soul

Scriabin - Etude in C# Minor

Best of luck to you.

NetherMagic

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 10:36:14 AM
RiskyP iunno about those pieces but they seem quite long, and i dun think dj's gonna be depressed for THAT long

here's some simple ones, dj, i bet you can play some of these smoothly after you sightread them a couple of times:

Chopin's famous:
Prelude in E Minor, Op. 28 No. 4
Nocturne in C-sharp Minor
Nocturne in E Minor, Op. 72, No. 1
Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48, No. 1

play this when you're getting less sad:
Nocturne in E flat Major op. 9 no. 2

notice they're all nocturnes  ;D

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 06:41:35 AM
Rachmaninov's B minor prelude...or if you feel like hanging yourself, Le Gibet by Ravel  ;)
Ed

Offline tph

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 05:52:33 AM
Sorry to hear about the hurt.  I sympathise....

In the event that you've not yet recovered, I always found Beethoven to be a great comfort, when I was in a situation similar to yours.  Consider reading through the 3rd mov't of Op. 109, or through the 2nd mov't of his 3rd piano concerto.  And when you don't feel like playing, listen to the slow mov't of his Op. 132 String Quartet.

In Beethoven, I often find despair but also hope, which I don't always feel in the Romantics.  This hope helps to restore a sense of balance.

Bon courage,

tph

Offline PoSeiDoN

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 01:06:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune...  ???   Anyway, I would recommend Chopin's Opus Posthumous Nocturne in C# minor.  When I play it, I always envision a widow, seeing her husband at the funeral.  But, of course, you can interpret it however you want!

Good luck.  Just look for those other fish in the sea.  ;)

Offline glamfolk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 02:33:49 AM
Many of the Chopin Nocturnes have great dark moments for revelling in your depair.  Also, I always picture Moonlight Sonata with someone driving in a downpour at night while sobbing uncontrollably.
Hope that helps.  Enjoy!

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 08:24:12 PM
i get that feeling of downpouring rain with rach's prelude in c#minor.  perhaps as a result of watching the movie, "shine".
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline meiting

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 08:45:28 PM
inspired by what I saw in another thread..

chopin funeral march
schubert A minor sonata first movement
Living for music is a sad state. Living to play music is not.

Offline meileng

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 06:23:24 PM
i suggest 2 pieces:

chopin~ nocturne op.62 no.2
saint-seans~ Dance of Death ( a bit hard )

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 09:17:24 PM
Dear dj,
I would suggest that you find  a new girlfriend rather than look for sad music to commune with.  Nothing mends a broken heart more quickly than new love. Try to find someone who shares your love of piano and that will be a double bonus.

Cheer up,
Robert.

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 06:10:45 AM
hey i should probably let u guys know that i stopped being sad quite a while ago now (no new chick though)....but it's still great 2 have all those depressing pieces (several of which r really quite beautiful) for when i get into that dark mood and such.
rach on!

Offline bachopoven

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2003, 11:53:40 PM
I also found (or I thought I did) Chopin Noct C# min sad since the first time I heard it, but I never reallt felt the music as deeply as I did at the end of the movie Pianist. Looking at the pianist's expression, I couldn't help to relive those horrible times he and the people had.
"In the beginning was rhythm." - Haydn.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert