Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Ballade No. 1  (Read 4641 times)

Offline nightmarecinema

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Ballade No. 1
on: August 03, 2005, 02:30:24 AM
How difficult is this piece? My brother just bought me a book of Chopin's ballades and he asked me to learn this piece, I'm going to attempt it at some point or another, but I'n wondering whether its worth it at this point. I'd say I'm probably alright for the year I've been playing - I can tell you what I can play if its necessary.

Offline happyface94

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Ballade No. 1
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 04:03:59 AM
Do so tell us what piece you can play, in my opinion the 4 ballades are not walks in the park.

Offline nightmarecinema

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 04:43:19 AM
Alright, well I can play Bach's 13th Invention, Mozart's Sonata K 545, Solfeggietto, a few other pieces, and I haven't actually really had much time to play in the past month, since I haven't been around a piano, but had I been, those and the maybe 4 other short, random pieces I play would be near perfect, but they're a bit rusty. But for all intents and purposes, lets say I can play those and of course, e.g. Fur Eloise, etc...

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 12:34:59 PM
even i've played k545 and a bach P&F and have looked at solfeggietto. the ballades are to those as advanced calculus is to simple linear equations. we're in the same boat it seems. even i've been wanting to start the G minor ballade. but its TOUGH
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline ako

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:35:03 PM
My teacher had me play a couple of etudes (5 or 6) before starting me on the g minor ballade. The pieces that I was working on at the time I played the ballade were some Mozart and Beethoven concertos, Debussy estampes, early Beethoven sonatas and Bartok suite op. 14. This is not to say that you have to play all those things before attempting the ballade but just some general idea how one particular teacher viewed its level of difficulty.

Offline ryan2189

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 09:05:44 PM
You will definitely need a few more years of playing experience before you should even think about this piece. It may mot look bad at first glance but the real challenge is keeping up to speed at certain points. This is such a beautiful piece, save it and play it as it should be played. Wait until you fine tune your abilities a little more.

Offline nightmarecinema

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 09:40:18 PM
Alright, well my brother just asked me to learn it, and as I listen now, I hear certain parts that sound pretty hard, but maybe I'll just learn what I could probably play for him, but we'll see. Any other oppinions?

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 11:45:12 PM
Be affraid, be very affraid.
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 12:18:12 AM
I gotta agree... I have worked on this piece off and on for 25 years, and I STILL don't have it the way I want it.   :P  The coda kills me. 

Teresa

Offline happyface94

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 02:58:25 AM
I hate to say this but I don't think this piece is your level.

Offline nightmarecinema

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 03:37:59 AM
That's alright, I just discovered that my brother expected it to take me a few years, so I'm not too worried anymore. Still be nice to be able to play it though.

Offline twinkletoesfaery

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 01:44:27 AM
I love Chopin's Ballades! Can't play any although I manage to have a look at Op.23 g minor

Offline marcus314

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 06:43:21 AM
Man I am playing the Ballade for my exam coming in 3 days. I am terribly nervous!!!!

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 07:07:28 AM
Man I am playing the Ballade for my exam coming in 3 days. I am terribly nervous!!!!
u doing LRSM? and best of luck

Offline marcus314

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 07:13:57 AM
u doing LRSM? and best of luck

No I am doing RCM's ARCT Performers. I AM VERY NERVOUS HAHA!

Thank you for the "best of luck." I think I will need it.

Offline RealPianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 01:34:52 PM
good luck marcus314, let us know how it is happen... :)

Offline marcus314

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 06:17:09 PM
Has anybody played this song for exams? How can one forget about nervousness and fully concentrate of the song? (As this song requires extensive concentration, especially the coda)

Offline happyface94

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 08:21:22 PM
It is to me necessary to be a little bit nervous in order to play any pieces. Play it like any other piece, you'll be fine.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 03:19:04 AM
Marcus what else you playing for your RCM performer's exam?  I still have no clue what I want to play, although I can play a few pieces that I will consider..
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline marcus314

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 06:26:08 AM
These are the songs I will be playing for my exam (and also in this order):

List a : BACH - English Suite No.2 (Prelude, Sarabande, Gigue)
List b : BEETHOVEN - Moonlight Sonata (complete)
List c : CHOPIN - Ballade No. 1 in G-
List d : POULENC -   15 Improvisations Pour Le Piano (No.9,10,15)
List e : PROKOFIEV - Vision Fugitives (No.1,3,8,15)
Concert Etude : CHOPIN - Etude No.3 in E+

Offline jz_rach2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 07:22:17 PM
well, when i first started learning it last summer, i thought it was extremely difficult for myself, who is currently working on my performer's ARCT. but after looking/analyzing closely at the piece, i found that the only really difficult parts of it would be the Coda, the 3rd page, and the 10th&11th pages. being 15pgs long it can look pretty scary but since the entire piece is based on 2 themes (theme 1 on pg 1 and theme 2 on pg 4) there really is a lot of repetition. the coda, however, does take a lot of practise - i've been playing it for a year now and still can't play it perfectly in front of people.
good luck to you. and just remember, there is only a keyword to learning this piece, or any other pieces: "PRACTISE".-_-;;;;
p.s. if you have bigger hands you might not find it as difficult. learn the Coda first and have it memorized before you start speeding it up.  :)

Offline jz_rach2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 07:28:13 PM
haha also here's my AR list
List A: BACH - Partita no. 2: Sinfonia
List B: BEETHOVEN - Sonata in Eb + Op. 31 no. 3 "the Hunt" (complete)
List C: CHOPIN - Ballade No. 1 in c- op.23
List D: GRANADOS - The Maiden and the Nightingale
List E: KUZMENKO (canadian) - In Memoriam to the Victims of Chernobyl
concert etude: either LISZT - Un Sospiro from Trois Etudes de Concert
                        or CHOPIN - etude in g# - op. 25 no. 6 (the one in 3rds)
                        or CHOPIN - "revoluntionary etude"
does anyone have any suggestions on which i should pick? i have the revoluntionary and un sospiro well learned and is working on op.25no.6 now. i'm taking my AR in Jan. 06

Offline happyface94

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 01:07:22 AM
While I believe the Chopin's revolutionnary is much harder than Un Sospiro, I believe the Sospiro would be more proper for your program. And cool, I'm learning the same Goyescas as you are.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 05:44:51 AM
If you have the technical requirements to play all the etudes, I think the revolutionary is the hardest one to make sound GOOD. ALL OF IT, not just the main chords. I find some pianist play the beginning runs so BAD... they play it clear, fast... but it just sounds wrong. To make it sound right, REALLY good, is the difficulty in this etude.

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 07:55:11 AM
Wouldn't that a minor chopin etude op25 (no.11 or 12 or something like that) be tougher than revolutionary? I mean its as fast and its longeras well. that way eve op 10 no1 is tougher. to make it sound musical is also tough...

Offline fiasco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: August 20, 2005, 07:16:33 PM
I've been practicing the Ballade #1 for about 6-7 months now, almost exclusively, without a teacher, and it seems to be coming together nicely, except fot the presto con fuoco, due to, I guess, my small hands.  It's a challenge, but I'd say it's easier than Chopin's faster Etudes, beacuse of the dynamism.  More room for expression.  Certainly easier than the Liszt TEs or Rhapsodies, or even Beethoven's Waldstein & Hammerklav.  My problem with it is, during the coda, I can't seem to hit the 1 2-5, 1 2-5 chords at full speed without flubbing, or missing my pinky entirely.  But, when I try jumping up with my thumb, 1 1-5, 1 1-5, it sounds choppy and slower.  Should I go for the clarity of all the notes or for the overall smoothness?  I practice it differently each time, and seem to have hit a wall here.  It's one of my favorites though, and sounds awesome when done right.  I've listened to about a dozen versions, and my favorite is still the one off the Pianist soundtrack.  I'm not feeling Horowitz's version, although his speed at the coda is amazing.

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 21, 2005, 07:24:43 PM
There are many difficulties in this ballade.  Not only is it technically difficult, but musically tough to pull to gether as well (this is, in fact, where I fall short performing this piece!).  I am quite consumed with the technical aspects, and it takes my concentration away from the musical apsects.   best to wait till you can do it properly.  I will likely have to revisit this piece at some point later.
So much music, so little time........
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert