Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3 Op. 37  (Read 4387 times)

Offline mehmetbaj

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3 Op. 37
on: August 04, 2005, 12:18:20 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has played the Beethoven Op. 37 or knows about it?

If you have, could you help me in interpreting it as far as "the overall mood" or what the piece "depicts" or what to think about during performance goes .. or any other tips that might go along with this concerto? This goes for all the movements, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3 Op. 37
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 12:51:11 AM
mehmetbaj,

I can't give you very detailed ideas, but I did work on this piece years ago.  (never performed it.) 

I don't think the piece "depicts" anything, but overall, it is a transition between the Classical Mozartian/Haydnesque Beethoven and the Romantic Beethoven.  The key of C minor lends a certain "gravitas."  I would want to hear emphatic scales and arpeggios, never delicate--but still beautifully phrased (easy, huh? :)

The second movement is highly ornamented and could get to sounding "precious" if one is not observant of the overarching sound and phrases. 

I love the rondo!  It's more unbuttoned than the 1st movement, but still, keeps saying "I am a serious piece of music!"--So I would not play it with too light a touch.  There are the little breaks where C minor gives way to major keys and a lighter touch may be effective, but always give the main theme its due importance.  Finally when the time sig. changes to 6/8 (I think it does, I'm not looking at a score) I think you can totally unbutton, and just Go For It joyously to the finish! 

Have fun!--Teresa

Offline moose_opus_28

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3 Op. 37
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:01:28 AM
I love the piece, but I only played the 1st movement!  I love the others though...

Anyway, my favorite part is the cadenza.  It's so insane compared to every other classically styled concerto!  Go nuts with it.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert