Piano Forum logo
December 18, 2017, 03:15:42 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Take your seat: New Year’s Eve Celebration in the Berlin Philharmonie – LIVE STREAM

Before the champagne corks pop to celebrate the turn of the year 2016/2017, you can experience first-class virtuosic piano playing when Daniil Trifonov steps up to the podium at the New Year’s Eve concert of the Berliner Philharmoniker. Thanks to a continuous collaboration with the Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall, all Piano Street members enjoy free access for 7 days to the Digital Concert Hall. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rachmaninov Prelude Op. 23 No. 5  (Read 1150 times)
twinkletoesfaery
PS Silver Member

« on: August 06, 2005, 02:41:55 AM »

Been learning this piece for donkey's now.  I can play the tunes and even memorize some bits but I can never play it like I hear others play it.  Some bits I can play fast but there are various trouble spots.  Major fingering problem perhaps since I can't play the left hand of the second theme.

(the highlighted bits in the picture)

Some advice would be muchly appreciated.

Or perhaps this piece is out of my reach *pout* I'm a grade 2 ex-piano student who's been playing without a teacher.  I practice loads but only songs.  Never tried playing the likes of Hanon and other dry-ish stuff.  Perhaps I should...

xx
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Prelude
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 03:59:40 AM »

"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
Barbosa-piano
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 06:18:33 AM »

He he, one of my favorite pieces again... I am "re-learning" it, after a long time without playing it. Fingerings for the Preludes are hard to find.
Fortunately, I found my only edition with fingerings (out of 3) which is of great help, a very good fingering.

Here it goes: (Try to imagine the position of the notes on the sheet, I will try to give you a view of the piece, I hope it helps Grin)
* Opening Octave                                                                       1
                     2                                      2                              2      2
                 1     1                                1    1                        3            3
             2             2                         2         2                   5                  1
          4                   4                   4               4                                     
       1                         1            1                     1          1                         2 
    2                                2     2                          2     2                              4
1*                                      5                                 5                                     5
Ped ------------------------------------------------* Ped -----------------------------*

"D major "                           "C minor"
Study this as Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, very carefully, though not as fast (way slower). If you play it clearly, you can realise that this left hand passage is a melody itself. Try to imagine this part as if it was being played by an orchestra, as a symphony (basing it on Rachmaninoff's style of orchestration). The low arpeggios being played mainly by two harps, whilst the right hand part is being played by strings, and the inner notes by wind instruments (Oboe, or something of kind). This is a great lyrical section, once you master it, it will come out easily, at any time.

Mario Barbosa  Wink

Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com
twinkletoesfaery
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 09:57:40 AM »

Thank you muchly Mario and Mayla.  I will try the fingering once I get offline.  Thanks again for being very helpful.  I can't wait to play this beautiful piece.  Pity the hardest part happens to be the most beautiful.  I do like the first theme too, that attracted me to the piece first. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: