Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Gershwin preludes  (Read 2229 times)

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Gershwin preludes
on: July 24, 2003, 04:13:09 PM
Hey !

I've played some time ago Gershwin's three preludes (not too hard, just a few tricky spots), but now I'm planning to relearn them in the violin-piano version for a recital with a friend.

Has anyone played them in this version ? Is it harder or very different from the piano solo, cause I haven't seen the score yet ?

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Gershwin preludes
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 04:05:04 AM
I have never seen the duet score, but surmise that the piano part might be simpler.   My reasoning is actually reverse reasoning.  I play both Rachmaninoff's Songs and his own piano transcriptions.  (I've also looked at a couple of Earl Wild's transcriptions for songs that Rachmaninoff did not transcribe.)  What typically happens is that in the song version, the singer gets the melodic line, naturally, which reduces the piano part to pure and more simple accompaniment.  The transcriptions, on the other hand, must combine both the voice and piano parts, so they are more difficult.  I've also seen this in Chalot's clever solo piano transcription (which I've played) of Ravel's Ma Mere L'Oye for two pianos.  In comparing the scores, the solo transcription is often more busy than the duet as you might expect.  

The one thing that might mitigate against this is precedence in piano-violin sonatas.  Some composers treat the piano part more as accompaniment, while others ensure that the piano part is robust and equal in every way to the violin part.  So using that as a guide, the Gershwin pieces could go either way.  Let us know what you find!

By the way, congrats on doing the Preludes.  I play the 2nd Prelude, but never got around to the other two.

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert