Piano Forum

Topic: 2nd and 4th finger length comparison, talent???  (Read 3535 times)

Offline vladhorwz

• PS Silver Member
2nd and 4th finger length comparison, talent???
on: August 10, 2005, 10:50:05 PM
I'm sure you have read the studies they did comparing talented musicians and the length of the index vs. ring fingers (2D:4D ratio).....longer ring finger compared to index finger meant more exposure to testosterone in utero and they claim more music talent as well.  Just curious where everyone stands with that...I will post a picture of mine when I get a chance, I have a much longer ring finger (which makes me doubt the validity of it) since I don't have the talent of Horowitz or Kissin or probably even Yanni for that matter.....

Offline Jacey1973

• PS Silver Member
Re: 2nd and 4th finger length comparison, talent???
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:05:13 AM
I vaguely heard about this study somewhere...

My index and ring fingers are nearly the same length - the index is about 1 mm longer...what does this mean?!
"Mozart makes you believe in God - it cannot be by chance that such a phenomenon arrives into this world and then passes after 36 yrs, leaving behind such an unbounded no. of unparalled masterpieces"

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:12:17 AM
It means you suck. :P jk Mine is about a half inch longer. Studies like this are really useless, because if you have the right motivation and talent, you can become a great pianist with almost any finger size.

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 12:56:13 AM
Oh my.... well my ring finger is 17.48 inches longer than my index finger!  Unfortunately, my thumbs are connected to my hips.....

Offline guru_of_time

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 12:58:58 AM
I don't think that the size difference between the two has any bearing whatsoever on a pianist's skill...

Offline vladhorwz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 02:33:41 AM
Studies like this are really useless, because if you have the right motivation and talent, you can become a great pianist with almost any finger size.

This study is supposedly a reference to born talent, not to the physical characteristics associated with a skilled pianist.  They didn't even do the studies on pianists, I think one was on jazz horn players and another on violinists??  Don't quote me.  But it is an interesting idea.  I was curious what other peoples ratio were and how they honestly thought they fit in..int the talent department.  This is a good place to learn more.  I'll try to start the honesty thread by saying I am not that talented.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert