Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Forum is a good thing?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Forum is a good thing?
on: August 13, 2005, 04:51:54 PM
In the words of Jesus Christ...

"Be not only hearers of the word, but also doers of the word"

This forum is a great way to build knowledge of our instrument's technique, literature, composers and recordings. But it is so easy to sit on that knowledge...and not put it into practice

My question is this: What is the best thing that you have learned on this forum, and then put into disciplined practice...what was the result.

For me, it was probably concepts of studio management from the teacher's section.

"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Re: Forum is a good thing?
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 05:33:13 PM
I haven't taken anything practical away from this forum. I'm fortunate to have a superb teacher who addresses my concerns then corrects them in a fraction of the time it takes to read a page of text and not really do anything afterwards.

I just find it interesting to see what other people's opinions are concerning repertoire etc. because I don't know any other classical music fans my age.
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 06:30:27 PM
I haven't taken anything practical away from this forum. I'm fortunate to have a superb teacher who addresses my concerns then corrects them in a fraction of the time it takes to read a page of text and not really do anything afterwards.

Lucky you :D

I have learned a tremendous amount on this forum, in terms of general music knowledge, but more importantly, in terms of technique, i.e. the fundamentals of piano playing. Discussing all sorts of topics has helped me to acquire, revise, and refine my approaches and to gain a much deeper understanding.

The "best thing I have learned" is pretty much anything I have learned, but if I have to single out one thing, it would be how go about learning new repertoire by using well-thought out practicing appraoches, particularly mental practice.

Now, the "best thing one can learn" from this forum is not even strictly piano-related. The best thing, IMHO, is the opportunity to realize how generally enlightening it is to listen to all sorts of views about an issue in an open-minded fashion, discuss them, evaluate them critically, then draw conclusions. However, I'm a scientist, so I have done this all my life; that's why it is not at the top of my list. I think this forum stimulates critical thinking, which I believe is one of the most valuable mental assests one can have.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 10:19:32 PM
i agree with most everything said.  you look to your teacher first (and don't counter it with 'i heard this on a forum.' )  BUT, in terms of resources and general teaching ideas and difficulties encountered that perhaps you haven't had time to ask your teacher or general wonderings, it really helps.  i feel that trust is very important, so you don't want to lose it with your teacher.  switching teachers only helps, as one person pointed out, after you get to a certain level.  if you are still learning and being helped by a teacher, just because there is someone better around doesn't mean you have to switch immediately.  learn all you can from each teacher.  as lostinidlewonder said about critiques (tall poppy syndrome) you can sabotage yourself by being too critical of a teacher.  just keep it to yourself, and when you get to a certain point where you no longer feel that teacher is helping you in a direction that you want to go (past notes, sightreading, basic technique, basic repertoire) then that is the time to graciously thank them for all their help.  i don't think one should feel badly when switching, but it is not good to have 1000 teachers over a period of 2 years.  i think one fairly good teacher to start should keep you going at least 2 years.  (kind of like resumes - people don't want to see you quitting jobs).

forums might also be a place to recognize talent and opportunities available.  ie teachers that teach in your area, scholarships, recitals, opportunities.  and, to be encouraged by other students/teachers.  it sort of verifies that you are on the right track.  and, a place for students/ teachers to be appreciated if they are getting fed up and need a place to vent.  i am really impressed at the level of students (and ages - so young!).  there is a lot of talent here. 

Offline raffyplayspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 04:31:10 AM
i must admit, that i use to learn pieces from beggining to end.  My teacher never suggested to tackle the hard parts first, or to break down the pieces into sections.  But when i read Berhnard's info, and actually tried it, i couldnt beleive how musch faster i could get through a piece.  I was literally shocked!  that is definitely what has impacted me the most.  Aside from that, talking to people that experience the same problems is encouraging too!   :D

raffy
**Raffy plays the piano**

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 05:20:59 AM
I've mainly learned a great deal about lesser-known repertoire. I also come here to find out what other people think of different sheet music editions. Thankfully, my teacher answers any technique questions I have very well, so I haven't gleaned much from here in terms of the physical act of playing piano.

What sorta scientist, Xvimbi? I'm gonna hazard a guess, going by scientist stereotypes, and say you're a... physics (applied, not theoretical) person?  :P
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 01:33:02 AM
I'm here because, my colleagues don't share (at the same level) my obsession with music (violin and piano).  I work in a hospital setting.  But I want to chat with people who share my passion of classical music and playing piano.  It encourages me to keep up my practice of violin and piano to see other people working at it.  Here, I find people who are even more crazy about music.  I love that.
Practice!

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 02:15:10 PM
I've learned that too much reading and intellectualizing concepts and ideas can be detrimental if you don't step away from the computer and just try it for yourself.

Offline 00range

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 02:55:55 PM
The "best thing I have learned" is pretty much anything I have learned, but if I have to single out one thing, it would be how go about learning new repertoire by using well-thought out practicing appraoches, particularly mental practice.

I'll give an amen to that!  ;D
'Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can *** off.'

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 04:51:41 AM
The best part of this forum for me has probably been meeting new friends and being able to talk about my favorite music to people who like it as much as I do. 

I agree with Motrax though -Thanks to the forum, I have been introduced to a great number of pieces I would have never listened to on my own.  Seriously, I would have not gone out to listen to Alkan or even Ravel.  It helps to see people rave about things I know nothing about so I can feel ashamed of my ignorance and go to the library to take out some music.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 07:20:25 AM
The forum has shown me how different I am from people regarding music. I had suspected it off and on in the past but had chosen to ignore it and to strive toward commonality, "proving" myself and "fitting in". I now see that such a course is both pointless and self-detrimental, and that I must pursue my own ideas to the end regardless of consequence. It's "all right" to be different. That's quite a big thing to learn, if you think about it. 

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Lebenssturme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 02:26:32 PM
It's not a good, but a VERY good thing!Besides, this is my favourite forum because it includes many themes, not only about piano. I was lucky to find this forum 'cause I've learned a lot.
The interesting fact is that sometimes we don't have a solid opinion about something and here, after reading every comentaries and opinions about a subject, I stop and start to make my own opinion. In my school, my collegues are very 'egoccentric' and it is very difficult to me to have a conversation about anything about piano!Besides this, there is a negative competition, so every one keeps in secret all they've learned. Which I think its a very STUPID thing! However, I talk a lot with non-pianists people (violinists, cellists, etc, etc).
We can learn with our teacher, hearing lots of recordings, study a lot and read many books, but its not enought!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 03:00:45 PM
I agree with Diana, Motrax, Ted and xvimbi. The most useful thing (to me) about the forum was to show the diversity of approachs to all things piano related. :D
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert