Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Much, much faster playing of Impromptu op.51 (VIDEO)  (Read 2829 times)

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Much, much faster playing of Impromptu op.51 (VIDEO)
on: August 16, 2005, 05:32:19 AM
Well, since everyone who's heard my 3rd Impromptu recording says it's too slow (even one of my own students) I decided to do the opposite extreme and play through it at a super charged pace, in the true impromptu fashion. This has everything my earlier recording does NOT have: speed, mistakes, and carelessness.  It lacks the heartfelt emotion and lyricism of my earlier recording, but these pieces aren't all that "deep", so I shouldn't take them seriously.  Shoot, they're really not good compositions either, so what difference does it make? 

SO... I threw this together on video just now and it lacks a lot.  It also lacks piano strings.  (It was recorded on a Yamaha Disklavier in digital mode, so pardon the lack of pianistic nuance and color).

Oh, the best part: I shaved TWO FULL MINUTES off my previous effort.

da jake- this is all in jest and I'm really not trying to shoot back at you. I hope you can take my attempt at sarcasm.  ;)

On a serious note, if you haven't already listened to my previous, slower recording (posted yesterday), please do so. I put every fiber of my being into it, and it was done with the best piano and studio equipment in town.

Faster video recording made earlier tonight: https://www.savefile.com/files/2595163

Slower (but better) audio recording made a while back: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11745.0.html

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Re: Much, much faster playing of Impromptu op.51 (VIDEO)
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 05:45:01 AM
I apologise if you were offended by my comments. Because of anonimity, the internet allows people to be more frank than they would in real life.

It's clear you don't think that the impromptu should be played at that speed, and that's absolutely fine. ... and despite your obvious cynicism, I still(!) prefer your faster version.

This is no critique of your general musical abilities, (I think you are a very good musician and pianist, as evidenced by your EXCELLENT 55/2 Nocturne) I just wasn't moved by the slow Impromptu.

...again, I'm a person who often prefers the austerity of Rubinsteins, Richters, and Goulds over the saccharine Brendels, Pollinis, and Perahias...the stark reality of Alkan over the sentimentality of Schumann. That's not to say that I don't sometimes love the latter groups, the formers are just my general preference as a music listener.  :)
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 05:56:45 AM

I still(!) prefer your faster version.

I KNEW it!! ;D And I do appreciate your honest opinions.  I guess the irony of all this is the slower recording took about 15 different takes until I was satisfied, and I mean it when I say I poured every ounce of emotion I had into it, while the faster version I did in one single take and didn't think twice about any mistakes or attention to detail.  But you're right- it is definitely more "impromptu-like" and probably stays truer to Chopin's original intention (as evident by the vivace marking).

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 11:55:01 AM
Hi Orlando,

I listened to this fast rendition, and I also like the faster speed better, because you did indeed capture the "impromptu" feel of the piece. 

I want to say again that you are a very sensitive and wonderful Chopin player, whatever tempo you choose.  Follow your heart with whatever pieces you play!  (I wish I could play Chopin so well.)

All the best, Teresa

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 09:59:56 PM
I'm just so impressed.  I want to be like Orlando!
Practice!

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:04:52 PM
this is supposed to be fast?

i actually enjoyed both your 'fast' and slow versions, but to call this 'fast' is a disgrace to cziffra's name.

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 04:43:53 PM
this is supposed to be fast?

i actually enjoyed both your 'fast' and slow versions, but to call this 'fast' is a disgrace to cziffra's name.

Not to compare myself with Cziffra obviously, but I am curious why my 4:18 time would not be considered fast in your mind.  If you're so concerned with speed, can you share with me other recordings of this piece that are faster? (Just to clue you in, Cziffra doesn't play it faster).

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
­
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 08:52:43 PM
­

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 09:29:29 PM
Yeah, for some odd reason I couldn't download the fast video either.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 11:45:25 PM
im not sure, but im with jake, it sounds better when played faster normally, but your slower version is actually better, its obviously more heartfelt.

to give an example of the kind of thing jake means, listen to these 2 samples of the 1st impromptu -

first listen to this - a standard slow interpretation-
https://knar.free.fr/sdc/barriztah/Impromptu.%20No.1%20-%20DG.mp3

now we give this piece to barere-
https://knar.free.fr/sdc/barriztah/Impromptu%20No.1%20-%20Barere.mp3

barere is much more faithful to chopin's spirit ;)

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 01:30:31 AM
Can you upload the video elsewhere? When I try the link for the video, I get to the 'Downloading' page, but nothing downloads.

After you click on my link above, it takes you to a page where you have to click on a bright orange colored "download" button. Then that takes you to another screen and you click on "download the file now".  Should work.  I have no where else to upload it (Piano Street won't let me upload videos on here).

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 01:44:34 AM
im not sure, but im with jake, it sounds better when played faster normally, but your slower version is actually better, its obviously more heartfelt.

to give an example of the kind of thing jake means, listen to these 2 samples of the 1st impromptu -

first listen to this - a standard slow interpretation-
https://knar.free.fr/sdc/barriztah/Impromptu.%20No.1%20-%20DG.mp3

now we give this piece to barere-
https://knar.free.fr/sdc/barriztah/Impromptu%20No.1%20-%20Barere.mp3

barere is much more faithful to chopin's spirit ;)

Okay, but before you tell someone that their fast playing is a "disgrace", maybe you should have your facts ready to back it up.

Now, I am in agreement with you about the first Impromptu... to an extent. But to be honest with you, I'd prefer listening to the first recording any day of the week.  Barere, while obviously a speed demon, plays it just ridiculously fast. Sure it's fun to liten to, once, but it's not that enjoyable to me. And I doubt Chopin intended it to be played THAT fast. 

And this discussion wasn't about the 1st Impromptu, it was about the 3rd.  There is a difference. The 1st sounds good when played at faster speeds. But the 3rd loses a lot when done so (in my opinion anyway).

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
­
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 02:03:49 AM
­

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 03:50:45 AM
The first one is a little slow, but I much prefer it to the second.  I just don't enjoy it played that fast...I lose the generally sense of joy I have when I hear this piece performed well (which I think you do!!)

I have an Angela Hewitt recording which clocks in at 5:48 which is just about right for my tastes
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 08:03:09 PM
I generally prefer a faster approach for this piece, but I think your slower version is equally valid. My favourite recording of this music is by Sofronitzky - swift and light fingered in general.

In my opinion, in many lyrical pieces, its actually easier to have a convincing interpretation with a moderately fast tempo, since this allows the music to flow naturally. Also, with a faster tempo, I feel there is more scope for rubato and "stretching" the tempo at places. Whereas at a slow tempo, it often takes much more concentration to make the interpretation work. There's less leeway to stretch the phrases at a slow tempo, as one will run the risk of it turning static. This means that a steadier tempo is often required - which could run the risk of a boring interpretation.  A slower tempo also tends to expose more details. phrasing and tone, which often means one has to be far more precise than in a faster interpretation. But when a slow interpretation is well executed, the concentration and emotional intensity  can be staggering. Think of Richter in some of the slower Rachmaninoff etudes (Op 39 no.2)  for example, or playing Tchaikovksy's June from the Seasons - slow and steady, but with such a gorgeous tone, and the rubato (if any) is very subtle.

I think your slower version is convincing in its own way, and whether one prefers the other is just that - a subjective preference, and nothing more. 

Offline aajjmb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 07:27:16 AM
when your playing is as good as it is, i think its important that you do what YOU want... if you like it slower... play it slower... of corse i like it faster ;D
I learnt and memorized Fantasie Impromptu In 2 hours!

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 05:52:13 PM
Man, booth versions are very nice. I think booth have spirit. I particularly enjoyd the faster one, it has lots of energy. I think it couldnīt be any faster, it is just right the way it is for this piece. Enjoyed listening. More!!!

Carlos

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 04:50:39 AM
Man, booth versions are very nice. I think booth have spirit. I particularly enjoyd the faster one, it has lots of energy. I think it couldnīt be any faster, it is just right the way it is for this piece. Enjoyed listening. More!!!

Carlos

I agree with Carlos,

I can't wait for more from Orlando Piano.  I really love these videos...  Helps me in my playing too.

Practice!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert