Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Barber - Works for 2 pianos  (Read 9374 times)

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Barber - Works for 2 pianos
on: August 17, 2005, 04:53:20 PM
Waltz and Hesitation Tango from Barber's "Souvenirs", recorded in 2000. Something a little more lively for change - perhaps even a little too lively and loud (read: Harsh) for some, given this music.

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Re: Barber - Works for 2 pianos
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:24:01 AM
I love your phrasing. You definately had fun playing these, sometimes you get a bit wild, but these are fun pieces, so why not grab a drink or two?

The Waltz is nearly perfect. In Barber's orchestration of Souvenirs, the Waltz is given the name of "Tea in the Palm Court." I think you've captured the essence of this elegant piece with a steady tempo and milder dynamics. My only complaint is that you break the classy atmosphere when you get more passionate near the middle and end. Maybe tone it down a bit?

I think your Hesitation Tango would benefit from a more steady tempo, especially in the begnning. This tango, like the waltz, is quite charming, but needs a steady pulse. Keep it tongue-in-cheek until you hit the big climax, then make it sweep up like stage-curtains dramatically opening. I think at the ending, you should return to the original charming manner you began with. Something else to ponder is that the orchestral version of the tango is called "A Bedroom Affair"  ;)

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 04:25:17 AM
I love your phrasing. You definately had fun playing these, sometimes you get a bit wild, but these are fun pieces, so why not grab a drink or two?

The Waltz is nearly perfect. In Barber's orchestration of Souvenirs, the Waltz is given the name of "Tea in the Palm Court." I think you've captured the essence of this elegant piece with a steady tempo and milder dynamics. My only complaint is that you break the classy atmosphere when you get more passionate near the middle and end. Maybe tone it down a bit?

I think your Hesitation Tango would benefit from a more steady tempo, especially in the begnning. This tango, like the waltz, is quite charming, but needs a steady pulse. Keep it tongue-in-cheek until you hit the big climax, then make it sweep up like stage-curtains dramatically opening. I think at the ending, you should return to the original charming manner you began with. Something else to ponder is that the orchestral version of the tango is called "A Bedroom Affair"  ;)

Thanks for the useful comments. I think these are good ideas which I could use if and when I finally start playing this music again - I haven't touched it in 5 years since I graduated from university.

Agree that the loud parts can get overdone on hindsight, though at the point when we were recording it, we really wanted the whole thing to sound really dramatic, extroverted, even metallic. We were aiming for the big, overwhelming, orchestral sound in a large concert hall, so I guess dynamics were exaggerated (especially in the Waltz). Maybe the next time, I will go for a more charming, "prettified" approach the next time. Its always interesting to see how ideas evolve over time!

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 08:17:34 AM
Any other comments on this music? I'm thinking of re-learning them and re-recording them some day, so new ideas would be welcome!

Offline classicarts

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 10:42:30 AM
With all your upscale equipments, I figure it would sound better.  oh well.

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 05:48:05 PM
With all your upscale equipments, I figure it would sound better.  oh well.

This particular recording was done nearly 6 years ago with bare bones equipment. A Sony Mini Disc player, and cheap $100+ Sony mics. So that explains the rather harsh sound of the recording (though I quite like it myself at times). And the acoustics and noise control was pretty bad too - if you listen carefully enough in the quiet middle section of the Waltz, you will hear a horn in the background.

If I were to re-record with my current set up (AKG 4000 and 451 mics, DAT recorder), I'm pretty sure the results would be significantly better

Offline classicarts

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 11:26:39 PM
It would be great if we can hear you with your upscale recording equipments.  I've been doing some research as to hear the aural quality of sound from different setups. 

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 12:52:33 PM
It would be great if we can hear you with your upscale recording equipments.  I've been doing some research as to hear the aural quality of sound from different setups. 

Actually some of my other recordings with the upscale equipment have already been posted here. I believe if you do a search with my name, you will find them :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert