Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Czerny studies  (Read 4742 times)

Offline llamaman

• PS Silver Member
Czerny studies
on: August 18, 2005, 04:31:37 AM
I am rather far behind on my technique, and maybe playing some short Czerny studies would help it a little, but some look rather difficult. What grade level (RCM) should I start these at?
Ahh llamas......is there anything they can't do?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Czerny studies
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:15:59 AM
Depends wich studies, but you can start some at grade 1 for sure...

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:14:39 PM
Depends wich studies, but you can start some at grade 1 for sure...

I like the second excercise in the school of velocity, and you can start that at Gr one or two...
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline raffyplayspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 12:33:20 AM
OP 299 is pretty good, look trhough it and find one that works on what you want to improve.

raffy ;D
**Raffy plays the piano**

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 02:51:51 PM
Have a look here:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11447.0.html

And this is what I wrote:

Although I am not a supporter of Czerny, here is a progressive list (from easy to difficult):

1. The little pianist - op. 823 - elementary.

2. Five finger studies - 0p. 777 - elementary (the hands don't move)

3. Practical method for beginners - op. 599 - 100 exercises grouped according to the technical skill they are supposed to develop.

4. 30 new studies in technique - prepares for op. 299 below.

5. School of velocity - op. 299 - one of the most famous of Czerny's collections it might be a good starting point for you.

6. Preliminary school of finger dexterity, op. 636 - prepares ofr op. 740 below.

7. The art of finger dexterity - op. 740 - advanced exercises (and one of the most famous sets), but not as advanced as Moskowski or Chopin.

8. Studies for the left hand - op. 718. This is actually for two hands, but the right hand just plays the accompaniment.

Now forget about this rubbish, and play some Scarlatti instead.   ;)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 03:09:26 PM
Have a look here:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11447.0.html

And this is what I wrote:

Although I am not a supporter of Czerny, here is a progressive list (from easy to difficult):

1. The little pianist - op. 823 - elementary.

2. Five finger studies - 0p. 777 - elementary (the hands don't move)

3. Practical method for beginners - op. 599 - 100 exercises grouped according to the technical skill they are supposed to develop.

4. 30 new studies in technique - prepares for op. 299 below.

5. School of velocity - op. 299 - one of the most famous of Czerny's collections it might be a good starting point for you.

6. Preliminary school of finger dexterity, op. 636 - prepares ofr op. 740 below.

7. The art of finger dexterity - op. 740 - advanced exercises (and one of the most famous sets), but not as advanced as Moskowski or Chopin.

8. Studies for the left hand - op. 718. This is actually for two hands, but the right hand just plays the accompaniment.

Now forget about this rubbish, and play some Scarlatti instead.   ;)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

or really anything but czerny. bach, duply, scarlatti, anything.

boliver

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 03:23:50 PM
bernhard, are you aware that the pianist francesca libetta(technically one of the greatest pianists ever recorded) has played the complete 'art of dexterity' in concert and is in the process of recording them now!

he must think its good music ;)

Offline piazzo23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 08:25:47 PM
bernhard, are you aware that the pianist francesca libetta(technically one of the greatest pianists ever recorded) has played the complete 'art of dexterity' in concert and is in the process of recording them now!

That´s true! I just searched it "Francesco Libetta".

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 09:19:12 PM
oh yeah, im too used to typing francesca...(pocorina's real name ;))

i have 2 of his DVDs and i consider him to have the best technique ever released on DVD, perhaps only cziffra can match him...

i recommend his la roque d'antheron DVD, its the best piano DVD i ever bought! (and i have quite a collection)

Offline llamaman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 01:39:51 AM
OK. Thanks for the suggestions. The trouble is, my technique is way behind, so some other composers may be to difficult. I'm only on my Gr. 3 scales/triads, and I need some way to get those up to Grade 4 by early September, and Grade 6 by the end of December .
Ahh llamas......is there anything they can't do?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 02:37:25 PM

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting its release (seriously!). I wish more pianists of his calibre would record pedagogical material. Not all Czerny is despicable, several of his studies can be quite endearing (e.g. op. 139 no. 98 ). My point of contention is when teachers/students start using the “broccoli theory of piano playing”: “I know you hate it, but it is good for you”. Like broccoli (which I happen to like), it will not do you any good if you hate it. ;)

By the way, I even have a CD of Hanon (distributed by Hal Leonard). :D

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 03:10:31 PM
im interested in finding out exactly why he is recording them, does he really think its good music, or does he want to, as you say, provide piano students with an idea of how these studies should sound.

his repertoire is huge, theres ALOT of other music he could record, so there must a be a serious reason hes chosen to record this..

the most interesting quote ive seen about libetta is this one by bruno monsaingeon(who, i think, was the guy that made documentaries about legendary pianists like gould, richter etc.)
he simply said libetta is 'the greatest virtuoso in the world'(!!!)
thats some of the most insane praise ive ever seen, and from such an authority...

i also like these quotes(especially the 1st review ;))

"Fury, demonically charged and technically staggering. Here is big piano playing in its most unfettered and dangerous state. What a performance!" - Gramophone

"He takes his wonderful fingers for granted and he is a master of every period or style represented...the pieces sing. I have no hesitation calling him an important pianist.." - Harold Schonberg

https://www.miamipianofest.com/artists/libet.html

check out this link, the godowsky is astonishing, and the alkan phenomenal, but i think the saint-saens etude is just some of the best piano playing ive ever heard, i prefer his interpretation to both cortot and cziffra.

https://www.francescolibetta.it/

this is website(hasnt been updated for a while..)

theres a page devoted to the czerny op740-

https://www.francescolibetta.it/czerny.html

and heres a(slightly dodgy) english translation -

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.francescolibetta.it/czerny.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.francescolibetta.it/czerny.html%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3DDVXA,DVXA:2005-19,DVXA:en

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 07:22:13 AM
OK. Thanks for the suggestions. The trouble is, my technique is way behind, so some other composers may be to difficult. I'm only on my Gr. 3 scales/triads, and I need some way to get those up to Grade 4 by early September, and Grade 6 by the end of December .

Hmm... I don't have any objections to Czerny, but if you are getting scales up to standard for an exam, then my advice to you is to ditch the Czerny.

Practise your scales in many different ways - different rhythms, staccato, slurring combinations, contrary motion, one hand stacc the other legato, etc etc.  That will get them up real quick.

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 07:45:16 AM
Hmm... I don't have any objections to Czerny, but if you are getting scales up to standard for an exam, then my advice to you is to ditch the Czerny.

Practise your scales in many different ways - different rhythms, staccato, slurring combinations, contrary motion, one hand stacc the other legato, etc etc.  That will get them up real quick.

Yeah, and if you learn to play all your scales in Hemiola (2 notes in one hand for three in the other) I guarantee that you will make no mistakes on your exam...

Just be sure to alternate hands, and remember to start R.H. two octaves up when doing three in L.H.  ;)
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 01:33:16 PM
im interested in finding out exactly why he is recording them, does he really think its good music, or does he want to, as you say, provide piano students with an idea of how these studies should sound.
nope. he just wants to show how fast he can play them

Offline burstroman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 04:20:55 AM
Thanks Bernhard for sharing your wise advice!!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert