Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Introduction  (Read 334899 times)

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Introduction
on: April 24, 2002, 04:24:41 AM
Hey'all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself before I start posting all over the place. I'm a pianist and a music educator.. well, hopefully a much better one soon. :p anyways, back to posting. Anyone wanna be introduce themselves to me?
"Classical music snobs are some of the snobbiest snobs of all. Often their snobbery masquerades as helpfulnes... unaware that they are making you feel small in order to make themselves feel big..."ÜÜÜ

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Re: Introduction
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2002, 05:23:25 PM
Well, I thought that, since there's no posted answer yet, I'd make a start.

I'm a pianist (who'd guess??), about to finish high school next year, got some students and, well, hope to give and get some advice here.

Laters 8)

Offline IvoryTickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2002, 03:13:51 AM
I'll join the fun!   ;D  I work as a part-time music assistant to a 3,000 member church and also accompany the choir and play trombone in the brass quintet for Sunday services.  During the school year, I play for an intermediate school choir and for band and orchestra solo contests.  I also play trombone in a big band.  I have taught private low brass lessons for the past 7 years, but now am starting a piano studio.  It's great to have this forum - THANKS!

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2002, 08:04:43 AM
8)
OK.  Here's mine.  I played piano all through college, then managed to NOT play for fifteen years or so, living in apartments, building a house, and now I am trying to get back into it - it's HARD WORK!  I also play clarinet in the Oregon Symphonic Band.  I am shopping for a grand piano to replace my little upright, and my husband has suddenly decided to try to play (he looked up how to read music on the web while I was at work and now he's learning the Moonlight Sonata and taking lessons).  I will be looking for all kinds of advice on this board, possibly including marriage therapy!
So much music, so little time........

Offline dkw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 04:35:29 PM
G'day Ludwig - I'm dkw the forums newest member. Live in Australia - I think most on here are from US. I'm playing piano again after a 15 year break - huge. I teach around 30 students a week up to 3rd grade AMEB. and am fortunate enough to learn from a very gifted and accomplished teacher. Being in my mid 30's the challenge for me is to learn as much as I can, play as well as I can with very unfit fingers (I'll get there), & make music as fun as I can for my students. I also play piano each week at church where I'm the music leader for the service I play at. Thats me - nice to meet everyone!

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2002, 03:55:33 PM
Hi all! I haven't checked this post for ages and now I find these greetings. :) anyways, speaking about places, where's everyone from? I've just started teaching my first private student, I'm also teaching high school classes atm (headache)..I've been playing the piano ever since I was almost 4, at first it was what my parents wanted, but I've grown to like it funny enough. Talking about funny stuff, what a coincidence dkw that i'm from oz too. Catch up with you guys later.
"Classical music snobs are some of the snobbiest snobs of all. Often their snobbery masquerades as helpfulnes... unaware that they are making you feel small in order to make themselves feel big..."ÜÜÜ

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2002, 04:55:48 PM
Well, hi again.

Just wanted to add that I'm German und currently living near Frankfurt. I started piano at about the same age as you (3 years); my parents wanted me to, but reaching the age of 14 I really got into it.

Laters

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2002, 06:21:22 PM
Well, I am not so sure most of us are from the US - Isee a lot of English, and Aussies out there - way cool!  I am, however, from the US - Portland, Oregon -on the west coast.  Great meeting you all!

Offline Mandy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2002, 05:17:02 AM
I figured I'd jump on the band-wagon!

I'm 22, and just finished my Bachelors degree in Canada.  I'm about to head to the US to do my Masters.  I started piano when I was 13, when my parents moved me to the Yukon Territory (next to Alaska) and bought me a piano as a bribe!  Seems it worked!  I taught during my last two years of high school, and all through my undergrad and I love it!  

Nice meeting you!

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2002, 04:49:49 AM
Mandy, what bachelor degree did you do? Bachelor of music? And also what masters are you going to do? I am thinking of going overseas to continue my degrees. Just wondering what they are offering in the US, as in which uni and what degree.. I'm currently doing a b of music, and a b of ed. Thanks.

Offline ClassicalPiano2002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2002, 11:05:58 PM
Hey Everyone,

Nice to meet all of you, I'm from New York. And i've been playing piano for about 5 years. Right now im really getting into it. I'm 15 years old and im a freshman in high school. Im hoping to go to a journalism school and major in journalism and minor in music. I play(ed) trumpet in the school band till this year. And i quit because i didnt like the teacher and now i have taken up VIOLIN. But i still have to find a teacher and figure out HOW to play it! Anyone wanna give me some advice?

Nice to meet everyone!!!!

Offline rmc7777

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2002, 06:57:20 AM
Hello Everyone,

Well, I'm 46 and have been playing classical piano for 36 years (yep, if you do the math I started when I was 10).  I guess you could call me a passionate amateur.  I practice several hours a day and love every minute of it.  I live in Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA.  I'm still taking private lessons from one of the faculty members at the local university and learn something new every day.  This is a great web site - I really enjoy all the conversations about music.  

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2002, 10:32:56 AM
Hey there, rmc7777!  nice to see someone my age out there!  I was beginning to think this board was just for teenagers!  If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about finding a good instructor?  Is he someone you've worked with for a long time?  I am probably not at all at your level of play, but I am definitely not a beginner.  Out here all the teachers are geared towards kids, adult beginners, and the specialized ones just want hot dog high schoolers they can turn into contest winners.  Any suggestions?  I live in Portland, Oregon, which is not exactly a place for a lot of arenas for music.  (Musicians in this town think so, but they are deluded.)

Offline rmc7777

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2002, 08:44:19 PM
Hello DinosaurTales,

Glad to meet you and also find another adult student.  To find an instructor I called the Director of the Music department at Colorado State University.  I'm an alumni of CSU and live just a few minutes away from campus.  I played some pieces for her, to give her an idea of my current level, and she referred to me to one of the faculty members.  He only has a handful of students (all piano performance majors) and is really tough!  I take weekly private lessons from him on campus.  He asked me to give some recitals, which I've done, and then asked me to enter a local competition, which I'm doing next month.  It's been a great experience.  If you're looking for an instructor I would suggest calling a local university or college and start there.  They usually have a list of instructors in town and will gladly refer you to them.  Hope this helps and good luck with the music!

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2002, 07:09:46 AM
Hi all.
I'm new to the forum, and I've already posted stuff before I've introduced myself, but oh well. I'm a college student at NYU and trying to become a professional pianist at the same time.....pretty difficult task, I wouldn't recommend it. My friends in NY don't know or care about classical music, and I often feel isolated from the musical community. It's great to be able to talk openly/intelectually with other pianists. Thanks!

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2002, 07:22:06 AM
Hey everybody!  I'm new here also.  Just found this site this morning (or was it last night??)  You'll never guess what I do.  (?????) I PLAY THE PIANO!!!!!  I'm glad to be here!  I started playing when I was 7 years old.  One of my majors in college was Music.  I didn't play for several years, but I'm back at it now.  Hey, how do I add a smiley face??  I don't mean to sound stupid, but I'm sort of clueless when it comes to computers.I don't want to accidentally delete something-I've done that several times-and I'm not in the mood to stay up half the night rewritting this!!! I finally broke down and got a computer a little over a year ago.  It was "forced upon" me, and now I can't live without it.  Anyway, I love piano, peanut butter, iced tea, but above all, I love the Lord!!!  Somebody write me!  I also love to talk!  Hey, we need a "most embarrassing moment at the piano" forum!  

Peace,
                                        Janice
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2002, 07:53:13 AM

hi all again, this place is really happening. and already there are heaps of people who write often that joins the forums, and members already who contributes often. By sharing info about what you know, and giving advice, and asking questions, and most importantly of all, replying to a post you are interested in or could help in, we could establish a community of musicians. from all around the world! that is exciting :) okay, mushy. Btw Janice, you can just add the smileys from the smiley list above the writing frame, and the most embarrasing thing I've done? hmm, too many to mention :) (or rather, too embarassed to mention..)

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2002, 01:22:05 AM
Hello all ;D

I'm 16 years old, and I play and teach the piano. I have 19 students, and I'm currently working towards an international piano competition in London. I hope to go to school at University of Glasgow in Scotland. I'm homeschooled, and I live in Indiana, USA. Umm... I will be a junior this year, and I think that's about it. Oh, I've been playing piano for about 6 years, so i started when I was 10.

My most embarrasing moment was heading up to the piano. I play for our church, and I was getting ready to go and play after the sermon, when the preacher is praying. So, I'd been sitting for like 25-30 minutes with my legs crossed, and I didn't think about it, but my foot had fallen asleep, so when I try to walk acrossed the sanctuary, I tripped, right in front of everyone :-[ It was not fun. That was almost two years ago, but people still talk about it.
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline Rosa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2002, 05:18:02 AM
I don't mean to dig this up from August...but I just found this fourm and I did not want to start another topic with Introductions. So I'll just add to this one.

I am an older adult piano student. I never had lessons before 18 months ago. I have found a great teacher in a little East Texas town, which might be taken as a "sign".  ;). Most of my teacher's studens are children so I am the exception.

I enjoy theory almost as much as the actual playing.  I don't really have a lot of listening music, but I do love classical music.

I've been reading this forum for a week or so. Great forum.
Saved to Serve

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 18, 2002, 10:15:49 AM
Hi Rosa!  Glad to see another "grown up" on the board!   I started taking lessons again just this fall, and I had a difficult time finding an instructor who was willing to work with an adult.  Most of them want to take on talented high schoolers they can train for competitions.  Did you have a hard time finding a teacher?

:P

Offline Rosa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: December 21, 2002, 05:19:06 AM
Hi DT,
I did not have a hard time finding a teacher. There was an ad in the local paper. I talked to the teacher and started taking lessons. From what he has said he has not had an adult student take lessons this long. I am in my second Adult book and have been taking lessons for 18 months.

I take voice from the same teacher. He is easy to work with.  I have enjoyed taking lessons from him and will continue as long as he teaches and I am learning.

The funny thing about starting piano lessons is that there were a lot of people that offered lessons after I had started with a teacher.  I still think I got the best teacher of the bunch.

My teacher is not interested in competitions. We haven't even had a recital yet. but I would be interested.  All of Mr. Julians students, but one, are beginning piano students. Four or five of us are adults and the rest are kids.

I hope your happy with your teacher.
Saved to Serve

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2002, 06:20:55 AM
:)

My teacher is absolutely great, but I play so lousy when I go there I wonder how long she'll be willing to deal with my frustration.  I didn't know competitions had any purpose for adults.  I thought they had age limits for young pianists only - like 30 or under.  I would absolutely SUCK at a competition.  Shoot!  I can't even play anything right at the lesson!

Geez!

What are you working on?

Offline msylvest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: December 24, 2002, 09:26:07 PM
Greetings all!

I just found (and joined) the forum today.  What a wonderful surprise.  Like DinosaurTales, I too am an 'adult' pianist in Portland, Oregon.  Unfortunately, I have not shared her success in locating a teacher.

I started lessons when I was 7 and studied until I was several years into a piano performance and pedagogy dual degree at Soluthern Methodist University.  When faced with how I was going to support myself, I changed majors to Mechanical Engineering.  After many twists and turns along the way, I'm writing software for a living and recently was able to buy my first grand piano.  I call it my 'Little A', a nostalgiac reference to Schubert's A Major sonata I played in high school (it's also a Mason & Hamlin model A).

After years of making do with a Yamaha Clavinova, I'm slowly rebuilding my technique and loving the sound and feel of a real piano, again.

A sight-reading addict, I spend most of my available practice time playing rather than practicing.  But I'm just thrilled to be returning to my musical self and rediscovering the other half of my brain!

Matt

Offline Rosa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2002, 09:51:53 PM
Hi Matt,  Welcome. I do so envy you the grand piano.  ;)

DT, I also have problems playing with the same "skill" when I play for my piano teacher. But he is very patient.   Sometimes I make excuses but I will realize what I am doing and ask for some Cheese to go with my Whine.  Then I quit making excuses and just play the best I can.
I have been known to play the same eight notes four or five times before I settle down and concentrate on what I am doing. I don't do that too much any more unless we've had a break like Christmas break. When I go back it will take me a lesson or two to settle down.

I am not very advanced. I've only taken lessons for 18 months and had no lessons when I was younger.
I work in the Alfred series. I am in book 2 of the Adult series. I am a bit more advanced in theory. I am in book three of the theory. I like theory alot, it reminds me of math. I am learning hymns also. I only have two down, so far, but I am working on a third in a different key.
I kind of took a break to learn Christmas carols. But it looks like I will put that away untill the fall.
In the Alfred book, I've just learned Brahms Lullaby, and Lonesome Road. The Lullaby, I love.  But it has taken me a lot of work to get the left hand to play "p" and the right hand to play "mp".  It is more natural for me to play softer with my left hand.  All in all an easy piece.

What are you working on?
Saved to Serve

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: December 25, 2002, 02:52:47 AM
:) :) :) :)
Holy cow! Matt!  Where are you?  You sound a LOT like me!  I ended up majoring in computer science, because there was a glut of teachers when I was in college, and I knew I'd have to get a job.  I hate computers, but it's a decent living.  I ended up taking 20 years or so off the piano because you can't practice in an apartment, you know, at least if you want to live long.  Then you get busy building a house, etc etc,  next thing, it's been 20 years!  I've been seriously working on getting back into shape, and after about a year I am starting to feel pretty good again.  Problem is, I am incredibly self-concious when I play for other people, especially my teacher, who I KNOW is analyzing every little thing.  I'll get over it, hopefully before she gives up on me!  Anyway, I am working on a Cramer sonata, a Field sonata, and a Bach French Suite -  #2.  I hate the French Suite, because it SOUNDS like it should be easy, but it's hard for me.  Just a combination that doesn't make much sense.  Next thing I learn may BE hard, but it'll SOUND hard, too!  There'a a Schubert sonata I'd like to learn, and I work on parts of the Apassionata Sonata to do scale and finger exercise stuff.  I'm also working on a SS Wesley march, for kicks.  

Offline Zigma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2003, 09:30:33 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here (obviously, from my number of posts).  I'm a piano student who has just gotten back into playing and I will be auditioning for college soon, I want to major in piano performance. But I was without a piano for 3 years, so it's hard to dig out all of the music information that has been buried in my brain. I'm 18 years old and scared to death about auditions. Other than that, I'm a theater fanatic and I also play drums and mallet instruments! Nice to meet you!
Could I have been anyone other than me?

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2003, 11:31:54 AM
Dear friends,
Although it is now almost two weeks since I joined this amazing piano forum, I have not had much direct contact with you members and I would like to introduce myself briefly.

I live in Auckland, New Zealand and I work as a teacher of French although music and the piano are my main passions in life.
I started late learning the piano and  in my youth I completed diplomas in piano performance from the Trinity College, London.

Now I play mostly chamber music with string players but in my holiday time I love to practise  the piano fervently for long hours to brush up technique and to explore the wonderful literature of the piano.

To balance the sedentary nature of piano playing and indeed my job, I run.  Last year I did a half marathon and I can recommend running for all you piano players as it is an exercise that does not interfere with the muscles used in playing.

I am utterly delighted to be part of this forum. It has been inspirational for me to read the many insightful and well informed posts.

Thank you all.
Robert.

Offline Rachmanoinoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2003, 07:50:52 AM
Might as well...

I'm Martin, come from Sweden, 15 years old, played since I was 7, I love this forum...

Well that's about all I have to say!

Martin
Music is music, don't try to tamper with it

Offline willcowskitz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: February 20, 2003, 04:11:06 PM
A long thread probably digested by the oblivion by now.

Anyways:

I'm a 19-year old student from Finland. I started playing piano approximately 8 or 9 months ago and take lessons not in a musical school or anything but from a friend of ours.

p.s. Martin:  Good to see other "northern people" around here too.  8)

Offline princess

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: February 21, 2003, 11:10:23 AM
wow! so many replies! anyways, umm...i'm gonna be graduating from high school this june/july. i don't like being in english literature! haha! music's something i can't live without, and let's not forget the cell phone, right? that's my life-line! i enjoy sports and love fooling around and bugging my friends, i mean, bugging as in getting laughs out of them! i've been playing piano since i was in grade 7 and i've almost completed my grade 10 w/ RCM...just those stupid theory requirements! >.< hate that stuff, u know?

Offline Le-ackt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: February 26, 2003, 02:06:47 AM
I traded my soul to satan for piano skill

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2003, 06:25:12 AM
;D Wow, so many introductions!  I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and I'm 13.  Piano's my only instrument but I did try violin for 6 months about 1 1/2 years ago.  I've lived in the US for around 10 years but my real interest in piano didn't really start until I moved to NZ.  Anyway that's all about me...also I enjoy singing, especially when there are lots of parts going :D
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline pianoprincess14

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: April 01, 2003, 04:05:55 AM
Hi! Let's see.... obviously i play piano. who'd of thought, right?? Besides that, i can (somewhat) play the flute. I also sing and act. I'm 15, live in Illinois and have been playing since i was 5. Not much else to say!

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: April 12, 2003, 03:22:02 AM
Here goes myself. I am 19 years old. I have been playing piano for only 6 months. I play bass guitar in a band and I played vioin in the high school orchestra when I was in 3rd grade. I am currently enrolled in college to receive my associates in church music and my first recital is the 22nd. So, I am nervous and getting ready for it.

Boliver Allmon III

Offline lea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: April 15, 2003, 10:38:40 AM
hey guyz

im lea

i like to speak english(duh) french, and german

i live in NZ

i do the piano, violin and i take voice lessons

i love the piano especially :)

memo from lea: red bull gives u wings

natasha

Reply #35 on: April 16, 2003, 09:29:26 AM
hi every1
i live in chch, nz and i do violin piano and voice. i have met lea and amee b4....lea and i have soo much in common that its just so not funny!! piano forum is really kool! this is mi second..or is it third day on this site!!
natasha ;D

Offline Charlieswilson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: April 17, 2003, 10:08:03 PM
Hi y'all,

I'm Charlie, 15, from London, England. I play a little double and electric bass (I've recently taken them both up) and have been playing piano for about 5 years. I guess I don't practice as much as I'd like to / should, and have recently taken the incentive to work a bit harder on my playing skills; and while searching on the internet, came across this site!

See y'all later

Charlie

Offline OZPIANOMAN

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: April 20, 2003, 07:06:54 AM
Gday mate...
How you goin'?

Forgot to introduce myself earlier -
Posted an OzPianoman riddle type thingy in the jokes section - we're having some fun with that one.

Anyhow...with a name like Ozpiano you'd know where we're from I'll betcha.
Had an email though from some guy in the states who said... Australia? So that's what "downUnder" means!

Ah well, everytime there's a war yous'd know we'll be there helpin you blokes out - we usually get invited to join in the fun...boomerangs at the ready.
No wukkers!

Some of us just stay home and keep the nations pianos tuned and the kiddies taught.

Yeah - so that's who OzPianoman is... your olde piano player/piano tuner/piano expert from wayback -  spending most of his time theses days answering questions from mums n dads and kids wanting to know about pianos.

Got this huge website now with information galore but the PIANO ADVISORY personally answers all questions from people all over the place ... so if you've got any you'll find us easy enough!

ps
Another entry in the jokes section coming up.
True story
See ;Dulater
The internet's original and now world famous Piano Advisory offers free advice to piano buyers, sellers and players at https://pianoadvisory.com

Offline Arashtein

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: April 30, 2003, 06:39:49 PM
I am young (16) polish piano student from Cracow... I play mainly Rachmaninoff and Chopin, where deep emotions cross with mathematically-inreresting formalism...(By the way:I am also interested in maths)
Frank

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: May 10, 2003, 03:36:30 AM
i just posted my introduction now... i'm 14, and playing chopin, only chopin, just started my law and only rule of playing chopin, but i'm planning liszt soon...

i have had waltz 14 in e minor and waltz 7 in c#minor.. i'm having raindrop prelude right now...
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline Chiyo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: May 12, 2003, 03:03:12 AM
I forgot to introduce myself :o

I'm 18 y/o Korean living in Illinois. I go Pharmacy school this summer (I'd like to minor in piano performance if my school offers it). I play piano as my hobby, I started when I was 5, and I love playing chopin or other Romantic period composers.
Past 3 years I played marimba for marching band and concert percussion for concert band.

I have a spinet piano I'm trying to replace with a Yamaha Digital, and I'm planning to buy a Yamaha grand once I get my PharmD degree (6 years).

I also teach 4 beginner students, which inspired me back into piano playing from percussion stuff.

Hey, pianoprincess, where in Illinois do you live? (If you don't mind answering...)
I love Chopin!

Offline Angel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: May 19, 2003, 03:20:14 AM
hey
my names delilah
i live in memphis, tennessee, usa
i've played the piano for 4 years
i also play the harp and the flute
my bf is james
hes really cute lol

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: May 24, 2003, 10:36:27 PM
I'm reo.  I've played since 1st grade.  Right now i'm just about to finish my sophomore year in high school!  I love this forum!  

Offline Aurelio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: June 08, 2003, 05:20:12 AM
Hello!!!
My name's Aurelio and I'm 24 years old.

I'm from Spain and I have some problems with my English.

I started piano lessons at 10 (practice time near zero)but I abandom (does this word sounds ok??) it at 13.

Re-started playing at 17 on my own, without teachers
Re-started piano lessons at 19, with the very opposition of my parents because I was studying Computer Science at University and they didn't want anything that distract me to study "the main, important, only  thing" (Computer Science, I don't really know how to say it, in Spanish is "Ingeniero en Informática").

I began to have problems at "the important thing" because piano really distract me,or, what is the same, piano began to interest me much more than Computer Science... This cause many problems at home with my parents. :P

Two years ago my parents assume that I am going to devote myself to piano.

A little time after "my parents OK to piano" I began to have muscless overuse problems in right forearm, but hoping to be recovered after next summer.

In a month I will finish at university so I'll can post the diploma at home, I don't want the Computer Science title for anything more. (although... perhaps for a weekends job in anything more interesting than McDonalds...), but now, I want all the time for recovering the lost time (19 is a very late age to start...)

Nice to meet you all
2 + 2 = 5

Offline ThEmUsIcMaNBJ

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: June 11, 2003, 11:10:36 PM
Hey people I'm 16 (white) junior in highschool...  senior in a day...  Started music when I was in 4th grade...  Learned how to get a note out of clarinet then quit..!  Decided I wanted to be in marching band when I got to highschool so day before band camp (go figure) I pick up the tenor sax and decide I'm going to learn...  Well I'm a little obssessed.... learned sax well...  I'm the most competent wind player in our school now...(thats not saying much though)  

And then that summer...  I wanted to learn piano...  Just on the side, just the basics...  So I taught myself that, started playing in church the hymnals...  And now it's been just about two years...  Never stopped with the basics...  Never had a teacher...  UNTIL!  We got a really good student teacher for band and he heard me playing (fantasie impromptu)...  Asked me how long I was playing and was impressed sent me to this AMAZING teacher hehe (at least I think so), and have had a teacher for 3 months now.  So I'm still learning (had to correct a lot of bad habits).  But now I can competently play things like, fantasie impromptu, moonlight sonata(complete), rach moment musical #4...  stuff like that... a few etudes...  But I'm a little obssesed!  My parents have never forced me to practice once...  I practice anywhere from 4-8 hours a day 8-12 on weekends...  ANYWAYS!!  I really want to major in piano and I have a lot to catch up on...  So if you'll excuse me!  I have to go practice!  ::)  

Offline scarletnocturne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: June 14, 2003, 10:55:35 AM
Hello,

i am starting my first semester as a  junior in college next spring, and i hope to transfer in the fall.  i am an artist and an art student...but have played the piano for just about 12 years now...

my favorite genre of music is composed by Liszt, Debussy and Chopin..but bach and the pipe organ rock my world...oh, why should i be short and quick..who doesnt love Scriabin, Greig, Rachmaninoff..yadda yadda....

*smirk* i'm not a romantic....... ;)
"A note of music gains significance from the silence on either side."

Offline roman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: June 14, 2003, 03:02:48 PM
Hello there, I'm 16 year old pianist, have been playing for about 4 1/2 years.  I play for a few choirs at my church, and I have the worlds greatest piano teacher.  I practice minimum for about 2 hours a day, and I'm trying to get a breakthrough to perform at concerts and competitions.

Favorite composers are Chopin, Mozart, Tchaikovsky...

Too many to list.

Great to meet you!

-Roman

Offline Legatello

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: June 15, 2003, 12:04:02 AM
hola!

i'm a spanish engineering student (dunno if it is the right spell :P), i am 19 years old, and i've just restarted playing the piano! i began at the age of 13, which i think is quite late.

anyways , hello to everyone here!

Offline Johnnylightning

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: June 19, 2003, 05:27:42 AM
Hi Everyone!  First post.  I'll be hangin' out in the student's corner for a while. I'm new at this and I've got LOTS of dumb questions.  I played the Sax when I was a kid, but that did'nt last very long.  You see, my sister played the piano and I quickly discovered that she was playing the instrument that I wanted to play.  Well, now in my mid 30's, I've realized you're never too old to learn.  And my sister, well, she quit playing long before I did.  So now it's my turn...MOVE OVER!!
OPEN YOUR MIND!...but not too much, your brain might fall out.

Offline Bosendorfer_214

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: June 28, 2003, 04:23:25 AM
Hey-

I am 15 and live in Arizona.  I have played since I was 7.  My parents had no idea until my school music teacher called them when I was 8 or so.  I studied under a lady in Scottsdale for about 8 months.  My next teacher was Larry Clapp who studied at Julliard and recently had his debut at Carnegie Hall.  I studied with him for about 5 and a half years.  I now study at the University here with Dr. Baruch Meir.  He studied in Tel Aviv and throughout Europe.  I recently acquired the piano of my dreams.   A new 7 ft Bosendorfer.  My goal is to become a concert pianist.  I have won several competitions and hope that provided some luck and a lot of hard work, I will get there.  

It is great to meet so many piano freaks!!!

Nick
Pianists are like firecrackers, they blow up sooner or later.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert