Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Introduction  (Read 335948 times)

Offline rubanetti

• PS Silver Member
Re: Introduction
Reply #1100 on: May 07, 2010, 09:12:05 AM
Hello, i want to introduce myselft. Im Ruben, From Madrid, Spain. I have studied and graduated in piano, but im not professional, i work in Computers Engineering, but i love piano and music. Im also studying violin, and play the guitar. Sometimes i compose music, but this is more for myself. I hope we can talk about music, and learn of each other.

Nice to meet you all :D

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1101 on: May 07, 2010, 01:33:43 PM
Is that you playing the schumann?  I like watching your hands.  So relaxed and your music comes shining through!  Good work!

Offline rubanetti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1102 on: May 07, 2010, 02:28:39 PM
Yeah its me, i celebrate that you like me watching playing. Thanks you for your comments :D

Offline andrewjp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1103 on: May 11, 2010, 07:32:42 PM
Hi,

I'm a clarinet and saxophone player, and I've recently began trying to teach myself piano to help with clarinet and sax, and maybe have fun doing it.

I'm from California, and I'm also a programmer and web designer.

See you all around!

Offline appie21

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1104 on: May 19, 2010, 08:54:18 PM
Hello

My name is Albert and I come from Holland
I play Digital Piano since 2009.
I hope to find a lot of info from here!

(my english is not so good  )

Offline meng92

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1105 on: May 24, 2010, 02:13:36 AM
i 'm 18,from china, in high school,piano is my major.and i'll go to college next year.i study piano for 11 years,i love it,although it's diffecult, but i never regret to studing it! ;D

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1106 on: May 24, 2010, 05:39:23 AM
Don't tell me!  You're preparing the Hammerklavier, the Brahms-Paganini variations and Gaspard de la Nuit for your entrance examinations.  Right? ;D
Only kidding.  Welcome!!!

Offline cross0112

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1107 on: May 27, 2010, 03:18:06 PM
hello! i'm elizabeth from indonesia and currently is only in 6th grade... still have a lot more to learn, hopefully i can know more here. and now i'm preparing my exam for 7th grade. i don't have intention to be a professional pianist, but i really love piano and music. because music is my live (i even sleep with music, hahaha)

Offline de_ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1108 on: June 12, 2010, 12:50:09 PM
Hey,

I'm Stijn De Moor from Belgium and I just finished my first year in conservatory! (I'm 19)
My dream is to become a professional pianist, singer and teacher... and that dream is coming true!
I hope I'll meet some interesting people or learn something from this site.

Grts to you all!!

Offline steponme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1109 on: July 07, 2010, 02:58:49 AM
Hello everyone!  ::)

I'm Stephanie from California, USA and as everyone before me have mentioned, I too am in love with the piano. I am still an intermediate student taking private piano lessons with my intermediate piano class college teacher as well.

I look forward to meeting more people who share the same passion for classical music as I do on PianoStreet and I hope to learn more from different pianists around the world

- Stephanie :D
- Intermediate student here!
Pieces that I'm currently studying (in order of priority):
1. Debussy - Arabesque no. 1
2. Mozart - 12 Variations
3. Debussy - Clair de Lune
4. Beethoven - Moonlight

Offline cdales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1110 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:11 PM
I'm Carol, academic librarian by profession, amazing pianist in my dreams. While living in Canada, I completed Associateship of the Royal Conservatory of Toronto degrees in piano performance and Pedagogy and an ABRSM Advanced Certificate, and had always planned to sit for an LRSM exam--sometime. However, we moved to California, life got in the way, and I've just recently returned to the piano after a 15 year hiatus. My latest project is the RCT's new licentiate degree (https://www.rcmexaminations.org/acadinfo/Licentiate.html), but there's some serious work to be done before that can happen!
I recently launched a piano club for adult amateur pianists in the greater Los Angeles area.
If you live within driving distance of Long Beach, please consider joining us for performing opportunities and good times! You'll find us at  https://www.meetup.com/Long-Beach-Piano-Meetup-Group/

Offline _nisa_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1111 on: July 31, 2010, 01:27:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm a Ph.D. student from France and have been reading this forum/website for a big while!

I took 9 years of piano lessons when i was 6-15 then took a break. I am now back, 7 years later, in front of pianos.
I use to play the piano selfishly because i love it and i'm not very confortable playing with an audience and am here to find advices on improvements and ideas because i don't want my passion to vanish ;)

Best regards,

_Nisa_

Offline gardenvarietycynic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1112 on: August 01, 2010, 07:13:01 PM
With such a plenitude of members on this board, composing an introduction here seems a little pointless as I doubt anyone bothers to read them much less reply in greeting. But Hey! It's totally the cool thing to do.

I'm a garden variety cynic named Chris; Graduate with a worthless degree in piano performance and a slightly less worthless degree in K-12 music education. I've been Piano-ing for approximately 6 years which basically means my entire career thus far has been a game a catch-up, hah. Dogs, photography, the art of animation, video games (do you believe it?), watches and Nutella on crackers are among my other more pedestrian interests.

I was hesitant to join this forum, largely because most classical music related internet forums I tried to tolerate exhibited a rather depressing regression of cordiality and maturity akin to that of a lot of...hm...prepubescent tweens. Frankly, I can find that sort of behavior elsewhere on the internet. I'm optimistic about this place.

But there it is, an overly long post just begging to be ignored. See you lot on the forum. 
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1113 on: August 01, 2010, 07:49:58 PM
Well I read introductions!  :) And I've read yours too.... it's not really that long, there are some posts here that are a lot longer :) but ... hm... I am just a kid  :P so I don't think you like that. But people here are very smart and they know really a lot of things and they're really cool  8) so just ignore me and you'll be ok :) cause this is the bestest forum!!!  :)  :P  8)

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1114 on: August 01, 2010, 08:35:04 PM
With such a plenitude of members on this board, composing an introduction here seems a little pointless as I doubt anyone bothers to read them much less reply in greeting. But Hey! It's totally the cool thing to do.

I'm a garden variety cynic named Chris; Graduate with a worthless degree in piano performance and a slightly less worthless degree in K-12 music education. I've been Piano-ing for approximately 6 years which basically means my entire career thus far has been a game a catch-up, hah. Dogs, photography, the art of animation, video games (do you believe it?), watches and Nutella on crackers are among my other more pedestrian interests.

I was hesitant to join this forum, largely because most classical music related internet forums I tried to tolerate exhibited a rather depressing regression of cordiality and maturity akin to that of a lot of...hm...prepubescent tweens. Frankly, I can find that sort of behavior elsewhere on the internet. I'm optimistic about this place.

But there it is, an overly long post just begging to be ignored. See you lot on the forum. 

Duly noted:  I read this   :)  and welcome to PS   8)
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1115 on: August 01, 2010, 09:44:13 PM

I read it as well.

Welcome to the forum :o :( >:( ;D ::) :-[ :-X :-\ :'( :) ;D :( 8) ::) :-X :'(

Luv

Mike aged 13 >:( :o :P :'( :( >:( ;D ::) :-[ :-\
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1116 on: August 01, 2010, 09:48:15 PM
Luv

Mike aged 13 >:( :o :P :'( :( >:( ;D ::) :-[ :-\
That's a quite different age to that which you claim in your forum membership details, old(ish) chap!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1117 on: August 01, 2010, 09:48:55 PM
All this enthusiasm is overwhelming.

But Thalburg, you missed ":-*". I am offended.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1118 on: August 01, 2010, 09:55:16 PM
I was unsure of your gender as Chris can be male or female.

Garden cynics are usually men whilst Nutella addicts are usually female.

I was just being careful.

Thal ;D
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1119 on: August 01, 2010, 10:12:16 PM
Well then I just dun gone and broke the mold. I am a somewhat cynical, nutella spreading male and would argue that the appeal of Nutella's hazelnutty goodness is not bound by gender. I'm also straight as an arrow, I might add, so I guess you can keep the " :-*", haha.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1120 on: August 02, 2010, 01:53:57 PM
And hi and welcome to all others that posted an introduction here!  :)  :P  :)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1121 on: August 03, 2010, 07:07:15 AM
I've seen French men  :-* cheeks when I was in Paris, seemed a "straight" thing to do over there :) I know in the Middle East it is very common for men to greet each other with cheek kiss and they find it inappropriate to do it to women! I wouldn't want to get beard rash though... you may suffer that if you receive a  :-* from Thal! ^_^
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1122 on: August 06, 2010, 06:48:02 AM
Russian men when they greet each other kiss on the mouth!  I kid you not!!!  I saw Kruschev and some other political guy do it at a meeting!

Offline chris_goslow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1123 on: August 19, 2010, 04:30:56 AM
This is a fine post.  Ok, here it a goes.  A quick introduction of me:

My name is Chris, and I hail from the Bay Area in California.
I am a professional music artist, and piano is my principal instrument, although I am also a vocalist.    I have over four years of professional piano teaching experience and have taught over 1000 lessons to dozens of students.  I have nearly four years of  professional experience accompanying for singers in two voice studios in the Bay Area, both of which are run by professional opera singers.  In addition, I have opera coaching experience working with teenagers in a high school opera program.  In the past year I have given over 160 piano concerts, most of them at retirement homes and Alzheimer's/dementia care centers in the Bay Area.  I am also a composer and librettist, and my work has twice been fully-staged by a full cast of high school opera students.  I am also a recording artist, a producer, and a hip hop artist (ie rapper).
       As for piano, I am classically trained and have classical music deep in my core.  I like novels, self-improvement books and workshops, exercise, being with loved ones, and movies.

Thanks for reading!

my artist website:  www.chrisgoslow.com
my teaching website:  www.pianolessonsinsacramento.com

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1124 on: August 19, 2010, 06:06:21 AM
Really sounds interesting!  Especially the vocal coaching part which I did for the past 30 years and finally was able to retire a month ago.  And also your work in performing in hospitols and schools, which I used to do in New York when I went to school there, and want to do again over here in Rome.  teaching, not so much.  :P
Anyway, welcome!  I'm pretty new, myself, here.

Offline parliament

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1125 on: August 20, 2010, 05:41:09 AM
Well, Hello. I used to be a pianist. I used to play other instruments as well. But I have stopped. Just popping by...

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1126 on: August 20, 2010, 05:48:17 AM
hi i am luke.. ;D ;D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1127 on: August 20, 2010, 06:31:59 AM
A quick sort on members by registration date tells me that I am probably the longest standing member who still posts, although nowhere near as frequently as I used to. Now I am retired I am working very hard at my music, particularly improvisation, of which I have recorded hundreds of hours. One of the great joys of getting older is the freedom to please myself in music, joyfully accept the fact that I am an outsider artist and totally ignore all orthodoxy and everything musicians say - not that I ever did take much notice of anybody at the best of times.

By and large this is a very good forum, much broader minded than another I could mention, and I have made friends with several very talented people here.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1128 on: August 20, 2010, 06:55:29 AM
A quick sort on members by registration date tells me that I am probably the longest standing member who still posts, although nowhere near as frequently as I used to. Now I am retired I am working very hard at my music, particularly improvisation, of which I have recorded hundreds of hours. One of the great joys of getting older is the freedom to please myself in music, joyfully accept the fact that I am an outsider artist and totally ignore all orthodoxy and everything musicians say - not that I ever did take much notice of anybody at the best of times.

By and large this is a very good forum, much broader minded than another I could mention, and I have made friends with several very talented people here.

ted, you are very cool! enjoy your retirement days with lots of beautiful music. regards, tds
dignity, love and joy.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1129 on: August 20, 2010, 08:12:30 AM
Thank you tds. After over forty years daily grind, and playing the piano at nights when I was tired from computer programming, it seems to me a rare privilege to get up in the morning and immediately commence working on my music while mind and body are fresh. I have taken one pupil since I retired, to whom I teach mostly improvisation. The fee is only nominal, just sufficient to preclude informality, but I feel a duty to impart these peculiar ideas which have given me so much musical joy. The thrill of gently guiding a young mind to slowly forge its own creative identity at the instrument is more satisfying in many ways than making creations of my own. I had always assumed I would make a hopeless teacher but it seems I can do it very well, with the right person anyway. At sixty-three this a wonderful discovery to make.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1130 on: August 20, 2010, 08:19:31 AM
Thank you tds. After over forty years daily grind, and playing the piano at nights when I was tired from computer programming, it seems to me a rare privilege to get up in the morning and immediately commence working on my music while mind and body are fresh. I have taken one pupil since I retired, to whom I teach mostly improvisation. The fee is only nominal, just sufficient to preclude informality, but I feel a duty to impart these peculiar ideas which have given me so much musical joy. The thrill of gently guiding a young mind to slowly forge its own creative identity at the instrument is more satisfying in many ways than making creations of my own. I had always assumed I would make a hopeless teacher but it seems I can do it very well, with the right person anyway. At sixty-three this a wonderful discovery to make.

how wonderful! and next, u should take as your improv student - i just wanna see how u handle a wrong person  :'( ....hah, but who wants to ruin a beautiful period of time of a graceful person like u?
dignity, love and joy.

Offline chris_goslow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1131 on: August 31, 2010, 04:32:25 AM
Really sounds interesting!  Especially the vocal coaching part which I did for the past 30 years and finally was able to retire a month ago.  And also your work in performing in hospitols and schools, which I used to do in New York when I went to school there, and want to do again over here in Rome.  teaching, not so much.  :P
Anyway, welcome!  I'm pretty new, myself, here.

Hi, Birba:

Thanks for the comment!  Welcome here, Birba, as well.  You obviously have a lot of great experience in music.  That is great.

What are you up to now?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1132 on: September 14, 2010, 09:58:07 AM
Yesterday, I just returned from Japan where I played and accompanied in Tokyo and Nagasaki.  What a country.  The concert in Nagasaki was for 2,000 people!  The largest audience I ever played for.  I accompanied a brilliant korean tenor, and played some solo things as well, berceuse, rigoletto, polonaise and Rialto Ripples!  An exhilirating experience and something to spur me on in my studies.  Oh, I also played in a hospitol!  It was a sort of a dress rehearsal for the big event in Nagasaki.  I love performing there.  They're so enthusiastic in their love and appreciation of music.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1133 on: September 14, 2010, 06:59:40 PM
That's really cool Birba!  8)  8) :)
But do you have any recordings of that?  ::)  :P You should post something!  :P   :)

Offline chris_goslow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1134 on: September 15, 2010, 06:22:44 AM
Yesterday, I just returned from Japan where I played and accompanied in Tokyo and Nagasaki.  What a country.  The concert in Nagasaki was for 2,000 people!  The largest audience I ever played for.  I accompanied a brilliant korean tenor, and played some solo things as well, berceuse, rigoletto, polonaise and Rialto Ripples!  An exhilirating experience and something to spur me on in my studies.  Oh, I also played in a hospitol!  It was a sort of a dress rehearsal for the big event in Nagasaki.  I love performing there.  They're so enthusiastic in their love and appreciation of music.

Wow.  Sounds fantastic.  Way to go.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1135 on: September 15, 2010, 11:39:54 AM
That's really cool Birba!  8)  8) :)
But do you have any recordings of that?  ::)  :P You should post something!  :P   :)
  They did a dvd but I'll have to listen to it first before I post anything! :P :-\

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1136 on: September 15, 2010, 05:44:56 PM
  They did a dvd but I'll have to listen to it first before I post anything! :P :-\
Ok  :P but I'm sure it's great!!  :)  8)

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1137 on: September 15, 2010, 06:00:42 PM
post vids, birba. post vids :) :)
dignity, love and joy.

Offline ingunite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1138 on: September 24, 2010, 06:27:32 PM
Hi all,
It is a pleasure to be part of the forum. Have been reading it greedily for quite a while.
The name's Inga, and I'm from upstate NY.
I attended a music school in Eastern Europe (elementary to high school level) for seven years, graduated, then moved to the USA, and did not play for several years. Started piano again as a teacher when my children were old enough to learn. Presently I am a piano accompanist for the music department of the local school, occasionally for churches, and give lessons.
Recently I rediscovered the joy of playing Bach, mostly two-part inventions, Haydn's sonatas, bits and pieces of Mozart, Field's nocturnes...
That's it in a nut shell.

Offline riskarb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1139 on: September 24, 2010, 09:55:16 PM
Greetings to all and great to have found this place!  :)

I'm an engineer turned investment banker turned bureaucrat..... accepted to music school for college but chased $$$ instead. After a 10-year hiatus, I just found my way back to the instrument (2007-ish), eke out a couple hours of practice a week and am planning to perform someday with an orchestra of suitable disrepute .... that or start composing in earnest.

Location-wise: Raised in Canada but now live mostly in Hong Kong. Oh, and I'm mixed race too (half filipino, half norwegian) which explains a bit of the transience and indecision thus far ;)

Provided you're not web-footed axe murderers (I've organized my fair share of e-meets before and had some 'interesting' experiences), I look forward to conversing and meeting with many of you in the future

Offline lynnequintana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1140 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:03 AM
Hello! Welcome to all newbies! It's been a while since my last visit.. Hope to meet new friends here! See you around the forum!  ;)

Offline ace_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1141 on: November 25, 2010, 03:45:15 PM
Hi,everyone,

I am chinese and I am 22, I live in Australia at the moment. I am planning to learn to play the piano.

Offline darcx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1142 on: November 27, 2010, 06:37:44 AM
Hey. I live in Louisiana, and always have! I'm 15 years old, and have been playing piano since December of '08. I loove music, including most subgenres of metal, rock, techno, classical (of course), and some jazz. I also play trumpet, which I have been since 5th grade (As of now, I'm a sophomore in high school), aaand I'm a marching band nerd. :D
I'm also OCD about typing in perfect English. ._.
I've been on many other forums, so I know how they work.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1143 on: November 27, 2010, 07:21:44 AM
OCD.  I know I should know that...but I don't.

Offline darcx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1144 on: November 27, 2010, 06:00:59 PM
OCD.  I know I should know that...but I don't.

It literally stands for "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder." It's an actual condition, but most people use it almost as an expression, or a hyperbole. It's just a way of saying that you will go out of your way to make something perfect, like if you're in a grocery store and there's a can of soup where the label is showing, so you NEED to turn it, so it's exactly like all the other cans. Just stuff like that.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1145 on: November 27, 2010, 06:30:22 PM
Hey. I live in Louisiana, and always have! I'm 15 years old, and have been playing piano since December of '08. I loove music, including most subgenres of metal, rock, techno, classical (of course), and some jazz. I also play trumpet, which I have been since 5th grade (As of now, I'm a sophomore in high school), aaand I'm a marching band nerd. :D
I'm also OCD about typing in perfect English. ._.
I've been on many other forums, so I know how they work.

You didn't mention Blues or Dixieland. Whenever I'm down that way I visit the night clubs and all I hear are mostly those types of music. Isn't Louisiana the birthplace of the "delta" blues?

Marching band player? Join the club. I fondly remember great times both in High School and College, especially marching in the Rose Parade..
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline darcx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1146 on: November 27, 2010, 08:43:55 PM
You didn't mention Blues or Dixieland. Whenever I'm down that way I visit the night clubs and all I hear are mostly those types of music. Isn't Louisiana the birthplace of the "delta" blues?

Marching band player? Join the club. I fondly remember great times both in High School and College, especially marching in the Rose Parade..
Well, I don't really listen to blues that much, I hear it a lot, but I don't listen to it daily. But yeah, Louisiana probably is the birthplace, or at least a major innovator of it. I do like some jazz, though. To be honest, not that many people I know listen to blues, except for the older people, but even then, my parents don't listen to it, my dad's a big fan of classic rock, so I grew up on that.
Yeah, marching band is fun. :D I play trumpet.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1147 on: November 28, 2010, 08:41:42 AM
It literally stands for "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder." It's an actual condition, but most people use it almost as an expression, or a hyperbole. It's just a way of saying that you will go out of your way to make something perfect, like if you're in a grocery store and there's a can of soup where the label is showing, so you NEED to turn it, so it's exactly like all the other cans. Just stuff like that.
Thanks.  Sounds like my general condition as well...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1148 on: November 28, 2010, 08:42:29 AM

So you're from Pasadena?

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1149 on: November 28, 2010, 10:20:19 AM
No, I went to college in a nearby part of LA and our band was invited in the "local" band category. In the 50's Pasadena only had a two year college with no band, so we took that place. Now of course they have a band who marches in the first section with the Rose Queen float.

Doing that parade ruins New Years Eve. We had to be in position at 6AM!

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert