Piano Forum

Topic: Grieg Op. 47 Elegie  (Read 6123 times)

Offline milan_verheij

• PS Silver Member
Grieg Op. 47 Elegie
on: September 02, 2005, 12:24:15 PM
Hey folks,

I'm quite new here(well, actually i am new). So let's introduce myself. I'm Milan Verheij and i live in Culemborg(that's in the netherlands) and i very much like too play the piano (like duh..).

Well, that was my introducing(yep, short). Let's get to business.

I just made my first real record of Grieg's elegie (op47) which i am just playing for five day's.  I hope you enjoy it. I think i have to play the bass a bit less loud. What do you guys think?

P.S. Unfortunalty you hear my harddrive on the recording :(

Offline aajjmb

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grieg Op. 47 Elegie
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 06:19:33 PM
i'm not familiar with this grieg piece (unfortunately i don't have a recording of it) but you play it nicely... the quality of the recording is pretty god too... better than mine at least
I learnt and memorized Fantasie Impromptu In 2 hours!

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 07:39:41 PM
I liked it much. Nice dynamics. I would like to learn it but I will nead more than 4 days...
Is there some specific difficulty in this piece?

Didier

Offline milan_verheij

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 10:39:47 PM
I didn't really find it difficult too learn, but i'm still not happy enough with how i play it now.
I will post a new version of it tomorrow i think.

There's are some $faults in it :-X (the piece that's in my first post).

Offline uv

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 12:16:22 PM
I like your playing, well phrased and balanced.
I do have some technical quibbles, though:
  • 0:14 - The last note for the left hand in measure 7 is an E sharp, and similarly in other places where this melody occurs.
  • 0:15-0:18 [measure 8] - Too much ritardando IMO, but that may really be a matter of taste.
  • 0:40 and similar places - the rythm is blurred. e.g. in 0:48 you steal a whole eighth from the count - it sound like a 3/8 bar with its first beat on the right hand E. I think the rest given in the score should be heard somewhat (though may be blurred with pedal
  • 1:02 - that's an A#, not a G#. An A# also stands out much better from the preceding arpeggio.
  • 3:19-3:24 (5-4 measures from the end) - the chord on the fourth measure from the end is not held long enough: in the rythm of the preceding measure it sounds like a quarter-note instead of a half note.
  • The notes in the second beat in the left hand in the first few bars and similar places sometimes sound a tiny bit too loud for me, but that may be the recording or the piano.

Offline Teddybear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 06:14:04 PM
On the contrary, I think the upper register is too loud. At almost every place the accompanying voices dominate, and the melody is lost.

Enjoy the melody. :)

T
Teddybear

(>"<)
('(ö,   )")
  '(¥   )/
   ¿.¿.J

Offline uv

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 11:47:06 PM
I wasn't referring to the balance between the melody and the accompaniment, but to the relation of different notes within the melody.
Anyway, I don't feel the melody is lost, but I agree that a softer accompaniment would be better.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert