Piano Forum

Topic: Re: Any rituals or superstitions about your recita  (Read 3229 times)

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any rituals or superstitions about your recita
on: August 02, 2003, 09:58:05 PM
i pet my black cat 13 times before i drop my mirror on the floor and step on the cracks to get to my car. yeh then i definietely do really good.
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline chopiszte

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 04:27:18 AM
Well, you wouldn't miss your 15 notes on Chopin Etudes iif you would take the time to open an umbrella before you leave the house!

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 07:59:49 AM
hmm never heard of that one.

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 04:42:32 PM
Glenn Gould used to dip his hand in hot water before performing on the stage...

In a way, though, it makes sense : it allows your hands to move more easily and takes of stiffness.

Offline R.Q.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 05:13:00 PM
I don't know if this is a ritual, but I like to rub my fingers in flour before a performance. That way I don't slip on the keys when I get sweaty.

~ Young Virtuoso
~R. Q.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 05:31:22 PM
Rubinstein would either spray hairspray on the keys or put rosin on his fingers - apparently that also stops the fingers from slipping,
Ed

Offline R.Q.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 06:35:07 PM
Hairspray sounds like a good idea. Probably not as messy as flour.

~ Young Virtuoso
~R. Q.

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 08:40:51 PM
who is willing to defile their keys by spraying hair spray on it! thats a horrible idea.

NetherMagic

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 11:04:33 PM
aah rituals and superstitions

when i play during recitals, i also keep my left foot to the left of the soft pedal or whatever pedal you call it, you know, the leftmost pedal of the 3

;D

Offline ThEmUsIcMaNBJ

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 01:17:14 AM
the una corda pedal...

NetherMagic

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 01:26:09 AM
yes i believe thats wut you call it

what is it used for anyways?  I've never used it even once in my entire piano experience

Offline Ktari

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 02:25:19 AM
on grands, and certain uprights, the una corda shifts the hammers so instead of hitting 3 C# strings, for example, it only hits 1 -aka the "soft pedal" maybes everything lots more subdued, and, well, soft!!

I used to like to use warm water, but I found it kind of dries out your hands => slipping. I don't like washing my hands right before playing either (thus, no water) because it's more slippery without those finger oils (sounds gross -ew!). I dont really have a ritual, unless you count those re-usable chemical heat packs. hehe after burning my thumb in an attempt to make my own (<-- chemistry geek) i finally gave in and bought some, hehe
~Ktari

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 07:25:28 AM
The Una Corda actually will move the hammers to hit 2 rather than 3 strings (at most - in the treble) on modern pianos, not 1 out of 3 as Ktari said (making it, in effect, the duo corda!). On uprights, the hammers are shifted towards the strings, decreasing the distance between them,
Ed

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 09:14:48 AM
Well, returning to the main tonality, no rituals or superstitions at all? I didn't mean practical things you have to do for playing confortable, but actions with some magical meaning. Well, I assume it's just the time we live in. You see, I'm latinoamerican and magic is not a totally strange or freaking thing to us. It's normal let a little fantasy breaking into the quotidian, specially for us, artists, at least. Remember Gabriel García Márquez...
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2003, 10:53:29 AM
No. Whoa was s/he?
Ed

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 10, 2003, 10:53:54 AM
*Who

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 10, 2003, 12:18:05 PM
He's  a famous colombian writer,winner of the Nobel prize of Literature.His most famous book is "One hundred years of loneliness" . It's translated to many languages: it's very cool, you have to read it...
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 10, 2003, 06:01:17 PM
What is it about?
Ed

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 10, 2003, 10:33:23 PM
About several generations of the same family,but it's hard to explain... I highly reccomend you to read the book, you'll have a lot of fun.
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2003, 04:00:03 PM
I started reading it a few years ago, but the edition was full of footnotes, and I couldn't help reading them all.

Eventually, I got tired of so many footnotes and quit reading... So I don't know really if I like the novel. I remember it incorporates lots of fantastic and curious elements.

Offline Ktari

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: August 13, 2003, 01:30:45 AM
God, they made us read that thing in school... people say it like, totally changes their lives or something? well I just found it... well, "interesting" -there's so much awesome detail, and it has very good messages, but while reading it you might go "riiiiiighhht". anyway, all the analysis we did kind of killed it, but it talks about things like solitude, cycles, knowledge, fate -oh, and has a healthy big of incest ^^ you know how movies always have that gratuitous sex scene? well, almost every single book we read in world literature did too...
~Ktari

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 20, 2003, 05:19:06 AM
Returning -again- to the main thread, is it really possible that none of you, guys, has even a little bit of magic sense in your lives? Or it's just that nobody wants to show himself as a supertitious person? Remember that we're here like in a masks ball...
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 20, 2003, 06:59:45 AM
oh rituals! i'm not fond of them. whatever i do i don't do good in recitals. oh yes, i shake a lot, and sweat and all those stuff! horrible! anyone can help with their rituals for that problem???
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline Steinwayman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: September 18, 2003, 02:24:37 AM
I usually dip my hands in molten lead, then shampoo with hippo lard under a shower of ice-cold water from subterranean caverns of Saturn's moons, before quickly downing a cup of boiling pitch and flogging myself with birch wands. Does wonders for my concentration...

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
!
Reply #24 on: September 18, 2003, 02:47:57 AM
I usually dip my hands in molten lead, then shampoo with hippo lard under a shower of ice-cold water from subterranean caverns of Saturn's moons, before quickly downing a cup of boiling pitch and flogging myself with birch wands. Does wonders for my concentration...

How extraordinarily coincidental - I do exactly the same!
Ed   ;)

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: September 18, 2003, 07:38:10 AM
I usually take a cue from my father-in-law, who says he's not superstitious, but there's no use taking any chances.  I bathe in goat urine and pray to the Steinway god before I play.  And that's just before my weekly lessons!
So much music, so little time........

Offline sram

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: September 20, 2003, 07:27:23 AM
i jerk off frantically with both hands...it warms them up and releases tensions.

plus fingers  really stick to the keys...

highly recommended.

Offline Bosendorfer_214

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2003, 09:30:50 AM
I don't ever want to play after you...

I hope you were joking...I probably won't sleep for a week.
Pianists are like firecrackers, they blow up sooner or later.

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: September 22, 2003, 05:25:43 AM
I wash my hands in warm water, gradually increasing the temperature.  This relaxes them.  Then, I towel them off very well so no vapour evapourates, which, by endothermic means, would cool off my hands.  I then shove them into my gloves to preserve the heat.  I then usually get very nervous, so I read over my music until I feel satisfied.  I then try to relax and think about the musical aspects and nuances.
You can't spell "Bach" without "ach"
-Xenon

Offline bitus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 11, 2003, 08:18:52 PM
Rituals help concentrating... It's kindof a brain routine :)
Water... yeah, it keeps sweat off for a while. I'm thinking... chemicaly, what keeps sweat away for a long time?
Back to rituals, I always read my Bible before i play, and always pray. I don't call that superstitious, but religious... It remembers me it's that it's not me that has any merit in any of these, but God that gave me the talent. This way i humbly give back for what i received...
Bitus

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2003, 08:57:24 PM
I always read my Bible before i play, and always pray. I don't call that superstitious, but religious... It remembers me it's that it's not me that has any merit in any of these, but God that gave me the talent. This way i humbly give back for what i received...

::),
Ed

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 11, 2003, 11:10:51 PM
Rituals help concentrating... It's kindof a brain routine :)
Water... yeah, it keeps sweat off for a while. I'm thinking... chemicaly, what keeps sweat away for a long time?
Back to rituals, I always read my Bible before i play, and always pray. I don't call that superstitious, but religious... It remembers me it's that it's not me that has any merit in any of these, but God that gave me the talent. This way i humbly give back for what i received...
Bitus

Good point!  I also pray before I go up to the piano, and before I play my first note.  It always helps, feeling that God is with me to help me endeavour to play beautifully.

Ed:   ;)
You can't spell "Bach" without "ach"
-Xenon

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 12, 2003, 05:57:37 AM
Don't have any actual rituals yet, but I'll have to develop some.  I will be joining a small group of local pianists that get together each month, and I am sure there will be some sort of *hazing*.  Any ideas - I mean REAL ones!

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: November 24, 2003, 04:26:54 AM
you mean real as in non-goat-urine-bathing? not dipping hands in molten lead or taking showers in subterranean caverns on saturn?  who do you think we are? idiots? ;D
A good hazing would be to accidently drop the piano key cover on someones hands while they play.  Also throw them indside the piano with some mice and moles and snakes.

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline elena

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: November 27, 2003, 11:11:50 PM
Hi,

Mine are not really rituals, but to concentrate and stay calm, I have to breath deeply, drink water and as well wash hands with warm water, have some chocolate
(on the backstage),
When I play I always think it's going to be the last time, and all the stress is no worth...But some time later, if they ask me to play, I won't say no, because it's the life I've chosen to live.

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: November 28, 2003, 12:46:36 AM
The chocolate sounds good.  I would be cautious about the water though. As I learned from hockey, there's a fine line between hydrating and overdoing it, IF you know what I mean!  It'd be a tough spot to be in the middle of the first movement of a really long sonata and have it *hit*!

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 28, 2003, 11:00:23 PM
Dino, Amen to that part about praying to the Steinway God.  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert