Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: motivation problems  (Read 3528 times)

Offline piani0player

• PS Silver Member
motivation problems
on: August 06, 2003, 09:41:49 AM
hi everyone,
        :-[how do you motivate yourself to practice ? usually when im practicing some difficult section of a piece ,i start feeling bored very quickly and lose concentration even i like that piece very much .how do i motivate myself to practice and concentrate?

thank you
"imagine a little shepherd who takes refuge in a peaceful grotto from an approaching storm.  In the distance rushes the wind and the rain, while the shepherd gently plays a melody on his flute."

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Re: motivation problems
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 06:14:44 PM
You have to be extremely concentrated for practicing, especially when it's a hard section. If your mind starts wandering around, you can forget it.

Practice consciously. Don't do a mere and dumb repetition, letting your fingers take over. Your mind needs to be totally involved what you're doing, guiding your motions, improving your touch. Practicing is a rational act. It's not like going to the gym and walking on that machine while you read a book...

Think also of the benefits that you are bringing. Watch how you can play better and better after each repetition, and how it besomes easier for your hands to play. That gives me motivation to go on.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 06:38:48 PM
You have to be extremely concentrated for practicing, especially when it's a hard section. If your mind starts wandering around, you can forget it.

Practice consciously. Don't do a mere and dumb repetition, letting your fingers take over. Your mind needs to be totally involved what you're doing, guiding your motions, improving your touch. Practicing is a rational act. It's not like going to the gym and walking on that machine while you read a book...

I will sit on the fence here, but let you know that in Charles Rosen's new book, Piano Notes, he contradicts this in it's entirety! He says: Think about other things while practising, since this will make the action of the fingers unconscious allowing the music to be made over the physical action. He even suggests reading a book while practising! But not one which is difficult to read, he recommends detective stories. He also mentioned that one of Liszt's biggest tips to his pupils was to read a book whilst practising, and did this himself!
Ed

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 06:55:02 PM
Well, I have to disagree with that view. That's my right, I believe.

Technique is not a pure mechanical matter, but it involves your mind. You need to know what you're doing, or you might not get the right results. Like Hanon, I think it's an excellent book, if you practice it thoughtfully. If you just leave your fingers, they'll go crazy, and you can harm yourself. But you need to be concentrated, listening to the sound you make, getting it more even, feel the relaxation, and so forth.

I think the progress is made quicker with active participation of the mind in the practice process.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 06:59:14 PM
Maybe that's why Liszt practised 10 hours a day and we get by on less!  : ;)
Seriously though it is interesting to see two completely contrasting views,
Ed

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 07:03:06 PM

I will sit on the fence here, but let you know that in Charles Rosen's new book, Piano Notes, he contradicts this in it's entirety! He says: Think about other things while practising, since this will make the action of the fingers unconscious allowing the music to be made over the physical action. He even suggests reading a book while practising! But not one which is difficult to read, he recommends detective stories. He also mentioned that one of Liszt's biggest tips to his pupils was to read a book whilst practising, and did this himself!
Ed

I've heard this quote before, and I'll have to get this book, so I can read it in context.
In the meantime, I don't think he meant to always practice in this manner.

Usually I will defer to someone of Charles Rosen's experiance, but I find it hard to see what is beneficial about practicing the piano while you read Mickey Spillane. You should endeavor to maintain as much concentrations as possible when you practice.

Performing for an audience is an imitation and extension of what you practice. In addition to learning the notes, dynamics, phrasing, articulation, etc., you are learning and maintaining the ability to concentrate for extended periods of time.  If you have not developed the ability to concentrate in the practice room, you will have a difficult time concentrating in fron of an audience.

PianOPlayer,

One of the ways I motivate myself to practice those difficult sections, is to picture myself on stage performing the piece if I did not practice them enough. That usually gets me over the hump pretty fast.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline piani0player

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 11:35:14 AM
thanks to you all.

eddie92099:
that very interesting ,"Think about other things while practising" is that how you practise ?if yes, do you have any improvement?do you think it works? i thing that how i practise for the past 4 months and around 6 hours a day,well i do have some improvement but i think i should improve much more if i concentrate for the whole 6 hours or may be just 3 hours.

what do you think?
Hmoll:
i think that a very good idea ,i will try it now.

thank you

"imagine a little shepherd who takes refuge in a peaceful grotto from an approaching storm.  In the distance rushes the wind and the rain, while the shepherd gently plays a melody on his flute."

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 04:52:47 PM
i don't practise the way Rosen suggests, I just gave it as an example of conflicting views,
Ed

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 08:31:45 AM
I think you're talking about different stages of the practicing. In the beginning, while you're reading, familiarizing with the structure and discovering what is the technical issue in the piece, you HAVE to be very concentrated,until you learned the thing by heart. After that, you have to play THOUSAND of times for getting the thing into the body, let's say this way. In this stage, you can be distracted and it  doesn't hurt but it was better if you try to focus on the artistic image, on the feelings and even in the physical sensation of playing the thing.
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert