Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Digital Pianos for Composition, Orchestration, Practice - Professional levels  (Read 1557 times)

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
I am starting to look at digital pianos that I can use with headphones to do several things, like practice advanced literature, but also orchestration and composition.  I can only imagine that there are zillions of types available - any recommendations for good ones to check out?  Which ones to avoid?  I want as realistic one as possible.
So much music, so little time........

Offline allthumbs

Try a search, there are a few threads on this topic already.

Here's one to start.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11883.msg125096.html#msg125096

Cheers

allthumbs

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
For orchestration and composition I'd use the computer based stuff.

That still leaves some options though

(a) Use the computer by itself [perhaps with a weighted midi controller, like Fatar and others do] in which case you'll need software to score and to sequence midi and to create the sounds. Stuff like gigastudio et al.

(b) Use the computer with a digital piano that has Piano / General midi sounds so you're just using it to capture and edit what you play but the digital piano is making the noise. Digital pianos with GM midi sets exist, but tend to be the higher priced ones, but since you're using the computer, you won't need to worry about what recording / sequencing / editing stuff it has on board.

(c) Use a digital piano by itself. I think you'll find them a bit clunky to orchestrate and edit stuff on though, and they tend to be at the expensive end of what's available, and there's not much opportunity to improve the orchestra sounds or the software. But I've not used one, so I could be completely wrong. Yamaha's CVP range, the PF models and most manufs that call their dig. pianos "Ensemble" models are what to look at.

You might even find some synths / workstations that have that kind of stuff on, with weighted keyboards and piano modules.

Most people posting here have probably got a computer that is good enough to do (b) with nothing more than getting the software and cables. (a) might require a more powerful computer and possibly a better soundcard and a decent external amp / speakers to get the best from it.

You might find a digital piano that'd do it, but it's unlikely you'll find one that has the flexibility for editing and storage that a computer will give you.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert