Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: On the continuation of classical music...  (Read 1797 times)

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
On the continuation of classical music...
on: August 14, 2003, 06:32:05 AM
in the 16th through 19th centuries (and even a little in 20th century) classical music has been produced and circulated.  But did that kind of style die away 50 years ago? Is it possible to still write classical music and it be enjoyed and accepted today as it was back then?
For instance, if i wrote a Nocturne persay, in the old style that Chopin used, would it be popular?  Or is it time for bigger and better things?  What other barrier besides time separates us from the great classicalists?
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline Chad

• PS Silver Member
Re: On the continuation of classical music...
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 08:10:05 AM
I think there will always be people like us who will still want to hear this kind of music.  People like Yo Yo Ma are around today and producing classical music.  I wouldnt worry about it too much, besides it doesnt really matter to me if anyone wants to hear me.  I like to play for me and if other people like it and want to hear it only makes it that much better.  :)

btw Chopin is by far my favorite too.  ;)

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 09:38:25 PM
in the 16th through 19th centuries (and even a little in 20th century) classical music has been produced and circulated.  But did that kind of style die away 50 years ago? Is it possible to still write classical music and it be enjoyed and accepted today as it was back then?
For instance, if i wrote a Nocturne persay, in the old style that Chopin used, would it be popular?  Or is it time for bigger and better things?  What other barrier besides time separates us from the great classicalists?

Academic music didn't die at all, the festivals of contemporary music are always full of audience.Ithink now is even better than in the past because you don't have to be a prince and live in a palace for listening to the best music available. A composer of our time has the possibility of being listened by millions because of the video and audiorecords. And now  exists such a thing as copyright,so this composer will be paid as well. Maybe I didn't understand well, but I think you mean also that  if you composed something like a romantic nocturne, would it have success? It depends. You can write that way, and it  would be appreciated if it's written with quality and if restates the musical form, in this case the nocturne. Actually, that could  be a start in composing: you can even write a nocturne "a la  Chopin". But you live in the 20th century, you have listened  Prokofieff, Bartok, The Beatles, whatever happened since Chopin's death, so even if you intended to write exactly like then,you just couldn't, but that's the good thing: if the music is good will be interesting for someone to listen a 20th century nocturne"a-la-19th". So did the great 20th century composers: they composed sonatas, concerti, simphonies,preludes and fugues, they used the old music forms but filled them in with a new content. So, I think just time separates us from them.
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline lc3606

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 08:11:14 PM
Interesting question.  Billy Joel has produced a classical CD and the music is published by Schirmer, "Fantasy Delusions" or similar.  But what I've noticed is that anyone critiquing his publication usually mentions that it is more of the same, with nothing new or innovative.  So are they saying that unless you are producing something not yet seen in the classical world, you will not be recognized as contributing anything significant?

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 09:16:09 AM
And rightly so! Every composer must push the boundaries in order to be remembered, and every remembered composer has,
Ed

Offline bachopoven

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 09:31:12 PM
And producing something new is harder now, since most has already been created?

I also wonder why there hasn't been a great classical composer for many decades. My guess is anything produced now will be similar to something that already exists.
"In the beginning was rhythm." - Haydn.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 08:58:46 AM
I can think of many great composers from the last decade, among them Thom Yorke  :)
Ed

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 04:58:52 PM
I believe that you can write classical style music and be successful. Take for example, there are certain guys who are always sought after to compose music for movies. Alot of the time the music is still classical.

boliver
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert