Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Curtis  (Read 3362 times)

Offline lombardian

• PS Silver Member
Curtis
on: October 08, 2005, 06:28:58 PM
Hi guys
I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the curits institute of music. I am 16 now and thinking of applying there for college. Any advice, and/or personal experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Curtis
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:29:13 AM
Hi guys
I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the curits institute of music. I am 16 now and thinking of applying there for college. Any advice, and/or personal experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks

If you are in the top 4% of teenage pianists you stand a chance; it is very difficult to be admitted there; acceptance is a career triumph, and virtually assures a sucsessful career in some way shape or form... :o
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 02:46:00 PM
does it? i don't think so... even graduates from Juilliard end up having to take up non-music related jobs to survive.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:33:33 PM
If you are in the top 4% of teenage pianists you stand a chance; it is very difficult to be admitted there; acceptance is a career triumph, and virtually assures a sucsessful career in some way shape or form... :o

*chuckle*

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 05:09:21 PM
  *chuckle*

koji

but what would you know koji? LOL

Offline lombardian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:37:26 PM
Well you see, I DO think I stand a fighting chance of making it. I am just curious about the standard procedure; i.e what the audition is like, what they tell you if you actually get accepted, what the school is like etc. (Koji, I'm sure you would have alot to tell me  ;) )

Offline turner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 03:43:04 AM
does it? i don't think so... even graduates from Juilliard end up having to take up non-music related jobs to survive.

With all due respect to graduates of Juilliard, but isn't Curtis even more selective than Juilliard? I can't quote the number of piano students that Curtis would accept each year, but I know it is low, and lower than Juilliard. I know that from way back Curtis has always supported all of its students financially 100%, i.e. no tuition. I believe that is still the way today.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 06:38:01 AM
  *chuckle*

koji

You are doing VERY well! You will have a faculty position somewhere soon and concerts and recordings to play, and Dubal likes you...life is sweet! ;D
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 06:39:58 AM
Well you see, I DO think I stand a fighting chance of making it. I am just curious about the standard procedure; i.e what the audition is like, what they tell you if you actually get accepted, what the school is like etc. (Koji, I'm sure you would have alot to tell me  ;) )

You go man, you only live once..maybe.. :-\ anyway go for it... :D
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 03:37:44 PM

You are doing VERY well! You will have a faculty position somewhere soon and concerts and recordings to play, and Dubal likes you...life is sweet! ;D

dubal on your side is a very good thing.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 07:56:56 PM
Im not from US. But gen advice. 1. Do you know any of the faculty?? this helps - get a consultation lesson!! 2. Make sure your programme would win you first prize at the Warsaw competition - you stand a chance. 3 Are you rich (Sorry but it has to be said it does help when they are auditioning you if they know they can count on your 'support')
By all accounts the school is very fine, with good facilities and good performance opportunities (corporate links etc) - I believe they still guarentee a Steinway grand for all first study pianists? - correct me someone if this is no longer the case.  As for a career - I dont think anywhere can promise you that but if you are EXTREMELY talented and you get a good relationship with a good teacher there who looks after your development - then you have afighting chance - Noone has any more than that ;)

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 07:35:46 AM
I'm applying there too... just filled the form and will be sending it within the next week. Koji ..... ADVISE WITH SOME ADVICE !
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 01:12:14 PM
 Um....practice (and try to play for someone on the faculty prior to your audition).  Best of luck, what is your audition program going to be?

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 01:18:52 PM
I'm playing:
1. Bach: Prelude and fugue no. 2 bk 1
2. Beethoven: Waldstein Sonata
3. Chopin: Nocturne in E major op. 62-2
                 Etude op. 10-12
4. Chopin: Ballade no. 1 / Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody no. 6 (thinking of giving the jury the choice).
Also, I'm in India ....how would it be possible to arrange to play for someone on the faculty? And, would it have any negative impact on the audition ...... maybe someone may accuse me of cheating or something.
P.S. Do they make you sight read as well? If so, how much importance does it carry?

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 01:24:55 PM
bah damn you all...

- shrug -

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 11:31:00 PM
Thanks Dazzer!! Bless you mate  - are we having some issues at the moment??
rohansahai - dont worry that you might appear to be cheating.  Its really quite normal to have 'consultation lessons ' with the faculty before college auditions.  if you where getting a private teacher you would try them out first (same principle).  It helps you get a feel for place too AND it gets you contacts on the inside - which trust me are vital - you want to start building these NOW.  You should contact the college and arrange a consultation OR if you have connections (ie via a teacher) you should try to arrange with someone on faculty directly.  All the best - hope you get your place!

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 11:41:53 PM
I'm playing:
                 Etude op. 10-12
4. Chopin: Ballade no. 1 / Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody no. 6 (thinking of giving the jury the choice).

Hum. You'll have to play them, extremly, very extremly, WELL! PRACTICE. You think they're perfect? Practice twice more ! I would do the Hungarian rhapsody no.6 without any hesitations, btw.

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 05:27:03 AM
I heard that the amount of pianists admitted to Curtis is less than 10 each year, somewhere around 6 to 8.  I also heard that its an extremely political situation and most of the students that do get accepted have already been guarenteed acceptance before they even audition.  You have to be in the top 1%, or even 0.5% of competative pianists before they even consider you.  Therefore, it's next to impossible to get accepted.  Hope that doesnt discourage you.  shoot for the starz
SAM

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 08:16:23 AM
Competition sucess - always helps when auditioning for colleges but is hould imagine its like everywhere else.  If your know to the staff already then you are likely to be viewed more favourably.  Take consultations!

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 12:41:03 PM
I heard that the amount of pianists admitted to Curtis is less than 10 each year, somewhere around 6 to 8.  I also heard that its an extremely political situation and most of the students that do get accepted have already been guarenteed acceptance before they even audition.  You have to be in the top 1%, or even 0.5% of competative pianists before they even consider you.  Therefore, it's next to impossible to get accepted.  Hope that doesnt discourage you.  shoot for the starz
SAM

The amount of pianists they admit is incumbent on how many graduated the year before.  I got lucky the year I applied and they accepted four (usually they accept 2-3).  Prior to my audition, I had only played a couple of times for Claude Frank, but didn't have any direct contact with anyone else on the faculty there.  I'm saddened to see the situation there has gotten so political.

koji

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 10:15:39 PM
you went to curtis?

Offline punch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 09:45:15 AM
  You have to be in the top 1%, or even 0.5% of competative pianists  

And how is this determined?...

Offline punch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 09:47:05 AM
I'm playing:
                 Etude op. 10-12

Waaaaaay too traditional.

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 02:18:23 AM
Waaaaaay too traditional.
Ha, i agree ..but can't really help it if their requirements say: 1. A piece by Bach, 2. A sonata by beethoven/mozart, 3. Two contrasting tempo pieces by Chopin, 4. A major solo work of you choice.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 04:51:38 AM
Ha, i agree ..but can't really help it if their requirements say: 1. A piece by Bach, 2. A sonata by beethoven/mozart, 3. Two contrasting tempo pieces by Chopin, 4. A major solo work of you choice.

I beg to differ....you can have a very un-traditional program within those confines...

You have picked perhaps the most famous Chopin Ballade and Etude.  As well as a very famous P & F and Sonata....It is geuninely easy to come up with innovative programming for this....

sorry to disagree, but this program is nearly as traditional as it gets!!!

anyway.....good luck with your audition!!! (my fingers are crossed for anyone who has auditions coming up)

cheers

dmk
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 06:37:23 AM
I didn't go to Curtis, but I know a couple of people that did, long time ago.  It is a wonderful place where to learn music, with lots of history, although, as any where, you must avoid distractions such as stupid music politics, gossip and other waste of time.

If your motivation is to have the type of career of an Alexandre Kobrin or a Yundi Li, by all means, make it Curtis or nothing.  In reality there are a few other places where to learn music at that level, but not many:  Catenabbia, Munich, still Moscow, Julliard and Curtis are about it.

Yet, if what you want is to nurture your musical gift and make music unpreocupied by having a career and winning big competitions, then you have more options:  Kansas, Indiana, Philadelphia, New York, London, Paris and Warsaw have very strong concentrations of good teachers (I know, it is a disparate selection) and then there are numerous wonderful teachers in the middle of no where (like Miami, Milwakee and Madrid).  (Madrid is a wonderful city, so it is really not the middle of nowhere).

Somebody please refresh my memory, who among the young great pianists got their training at Curtis?
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert