Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: how many people in the world right now could play...  (Read 2402 times)

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
how many people in the world right now could play...
on: October 12, 2005, 09:58:56 PM
chopin's op10no4 in under 1'30 seconds with no wrong notes?

and also, what about op10no2 in under 1 minute with perfect accuracy?

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Re: how many people in the world right now could play...
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 02:43:12 AM
Tell me, what would be the point in the first place?

If someone could do it, it would come across as more naive than impressive.

Offline danyal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 07:22:39 AM

Who cares? As sonatainfsharp siad, there just is no point. It just shows ignorance rather than musicality.

I went to a national youth competition recently (just to watch, didnt paticipate) where in one of the rounds, one participant squeezed the mephisto waltz and chopin's 2nd scherzo into 15mins. The notes were flawless (most of the time) but was commented on "playing the notes at double speed, just trying to impress, general performance awful, no musicality whatsoever... etc etc" Needless to say he didnt make it past the 1st round. My friend beat him in that round with a chopin nocturne and a bach.

The sooner you learn that being a good pianist is not about how fast, loudly and impressively you can thump the notes out of the piano, and more about the music, soul and life of the piece and how it is interpreted, the better it'll be for everyone. You'll impress anyone anyday with a good sound, making every note shine for what its worth, rather than with fast fingers. Technique will only get you so far, and no further. The best of pianists, the ones that have made it, all have something exceptionally unique and special in their playing that outshine, and cant be possibly ever be compared to, the naive show off, playing in back bars.
I dont play an instrument, I play the piano.

Offline gorbee natcase

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 10:30:49 AM
I am working on this piece right now and it is increadibly difficult/psychologicaly, and at that tempo even more so, so I would immagine not many
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)      What ever Bernhard said

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 12:35:46 PM
The best of pianists, the ones that have made it, all have something exceptionally unique and special in their playing that outshine, and cant be possibly ever be compared to, the naive show off, playing in back bars.
ABSOLUTELY WRONG. the one's who have made it professionally have done so on the basis of 2 things: technique and quantity of performable repertoire.

and these 2 things can be combined and translated into:

how fast it takes you to learn a certain piece to be able to play it at a certain speed with a certain degree of accuracy.

Offline bachelssohn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 12:56:57 PM
Anyone else tired of all these ridiculous technique based threads? Waste of time.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 01:10:08 PM
ABSOLUTELY WRONG. the one's who have made it professionally have done so on the basis of 2 things: technique and quantity of performable repertoire.

and these 2 things can be combined and translated into:

how fast it takes you to learn a certain piece to be able to play it at a certain speed with a certain degree of accuracy.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG. the one's who have made it professionally have done so on the basis of 2 things: general well-rounded pianistsic skills, and luck to be at the right time at the right place, and/or to have the right friends.

That applies to pretty much any profession, except politics, where having the right friends is the only thing that counts. Here, qualification is often counter-productive.

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 01:35:05 PM
Anyone else tired of all these ridiculous technique based threads? Waste of time.

time is only wasted by those whom are too slow.

Tell me, what would be the point in the first place?

If someone could do it, it would come across as more naive than impressive.

sure, thats what all the slow pianists tell me...
Who cares? As sonatainfsharp siad, there just is no point. It just shows ignorance rather than musicality.

who cares?

anyone who is passionate about virtuosity, the possibilities of the human body, and even the musical possibilities inherent in performing a work at an unprecedented tempo, it does actually sound VERY GOOD.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 01:56:45 PM
time is only wasted by those whom are too slow.

Very nicely philosophical... I like that... pretty unique.

Offline bachelssohn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 02:37:02 PM
I called it wasted time because pianism is not a sport, it's an art. Technique is nothing but a vehicle to music.

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 02:50:41 PM
I will say, however, that excessive speed can ruin a piece - even in the hands of a great technician and performer. I have a recording of Argerich's Rach 3 (I know it's cliche, but I like to listen to it) and she fails to bring out so many important melodies because she is trying to replace passion and excitement with some sort of speed overdrive.

Don't get me wrong, speed can be very important, but there are times when you either shouldn't play a piece at a certain speed because it compromises other factors of the performance or because it simply starts to sound silly.

I finally decided to slow parts of the op.25#12 down because I was starting to lose clarity in the piece. It's one of those pieces that is really hard to forget, so your speed increases a lot if you play it frequently and it can start to sound too muddled. Anyways.....

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 03:33:33 PM
Assuming anyone cares, how would one know?
"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 03:45:27 PM

Ah yes, but what does "perfect accuracy" entail? What are it's components? Is it OK to just hit all the notes evenly and precisely? Or does it have to have an emotional quality or affect? If the "emo" aspect is missing, is that like hitting a wrong note? What about dynamics? Tone color? Are these nessacary in our vision of perfect accuracy? Or is it just the notes?

Only Rusnak knows.... ;D
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 04:08:40 PM
Ah yes, but what does "perfect accuracy" entail?

I thought he meant accurate to within a few seconds, so if the answer was > 3 he could time an egg? :D

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 07:42:45 PM
If you have a problem with threads like these, just don't post on them.

Stevie, what are the current records on those pieces? :stopwatch: :dong: 8)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 10:35:20 PM
Ah yes, but what does "perfect accuracy" entail? What are it's components? Is it OK to just hit all the notes evenly and precisely? Or does it have to have an emotional quality or affect? If the "emo" aspect is missing, is that like hitting a wrong note? What about dynamics? Tone color? Are these nessacary in our vision of perfect accuracy? Or is it just the notes?

Only Rusnak knows.... ;D

How the hell can it have emotional quality when your supposed to be able to play it in less than a minute.

If i said to you, play raindrop prelude in less than 1.30, there is no way in hell you could play that with emotion...

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 11:17:01 PM
How the hell can it have emotional quality when your supposed to be able to play it in less than a minute.

If i said to you, play raindrop prelude in less than 1.30, there is no way in hell you could play that with emotion...

Are you implying that angst, fury, and passion are not emotions?

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 11:29:39 PM

This sounds like a very general statements. Does that mean one is not allowed to voice any dissenting opinions anymore? Never, ever? :o :o

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 11:51:19 PM
I called it wasted time because pianism is not a sport, it's an art. Technique is nothing but a vehicle to music.

music is an art, pianism is both a sport and an art.

the whole concept of virtuosity is about the marriage of supreme physicality and musicality, IMO NOTHING IN THE WORLD is more exciting that a stunningly virtuosic performance of a great piano work.

Offline contrapunctus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 11:52:15 PM
I will say, however, that excessive speed can ruin a piece - even in the hands of a great technician and performer. I have a recording of Argerich's Rach 3 (I know it's cliche, but I like to listen to it) and she fails to bring out so many important melodies because she is trying to replace passion and excitement with some sort of speed overdrive.

Don't get me wrong, speed can be very important, but there are times when you either shouldn't play a piece at a certain speed because it compromises other factors of the performance or because it simply starts to sound silly.

I finally decided to slow parts of the op.25#12 down because I was starting to lose clarity in the piece. It's one of those pieces that is really hard to forget, so your speed increases a lot if you play it frequently and it can start to sound too muddled. Anyways.....

I agree, gould had one of the greatest techniques  but he fought with bernstein because he thought the brahms PC should be played extremely slow.
Medtner, man.

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 12:10:40 AM

Stevie, what are the current records on those pieces? :stopwatch: :dong: 8)

sviatoslav richter's 10/4 at 1:31

vadim rudenko's 10/2 at 1:01

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 12:29:56 AM
I've though about it for a long time and worked out that it's 42. Really.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 14, 2005, 01:02:05 AM
I've though about it for a long time and worked out that it's 42. Really.

well, the point of this quiestion is to think about how rare this kind of uber-virtuosity is...

just how many piansits are there with the kind of dexterity that hamelin, libetta, cziffra and all those greats have/had out there?

are there many piansits with freak-techniques that get nowhere?
and if so, are those freak-techniques possibly even ggreater than some of the famus pianists' techniques?

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 03:40:41 AM
pianism is ....a sport

I'm not sure whether this is making me laugh as much as the doom 3 players do ;)

I'd say it's physical and thus athletic, but the competition element isn't comparing that no more than if
baseball players sang on the way around and one said "How many baseball players can hit a high C?"

I bet [which is gambling - is that a sport too? ] if it were, i.e if a stopwatch was deployed to see how fast a piece could be
played, then there would be lots who would do it - given a decent incentive like a big pot of cash.

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2005, 06:08:56 AM
ABSOLUTELY WRONG. the one's who have made it professionally have done so on the basis of 2 things: general well-rounded pianistsic skills, and luck to be at the right time at the right place, and/or to have the right friends.

That applies to pretty much any profession, except politics, where having the right friends is the only thing that counts. Here, qualification is often counter-productive.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG, because you managed to agree with the only statement that mattered in my post.

Offline practicingnow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 08:50:21 AM
exactly 14

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 05:38:24 PM

This gives me an idea. I keep hearing about the slow demise of interest in classical music, based on  modern culture, etc.  What if we invented a Piano Olympics of sorts, with various decathlon-style events, such as: the scale speed competition, the arpeggio competition, jumps, hand crossing, etc etc.  Sort of like the skills competion event they have the professioinal ice hockey guys do.  It would be crass and elitist, just like the skills competition, because only the "best" would be invited to compete.  The competitors could "act cool" and the public would love it.  We could get John Madden to host.  Maybe we could bring interest back.......
So much music, so little time........

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 05:42:12 PM
This gives me an idea. I keep hearing about the slow demise of interest in classical music, based on  modern culture, etc.  What if we invented a Piano Olympics of sorts, with various decathlon-style events, such as: the scale speed competition, the arpeggio competition, jumps, hand crossing, etc etc.  Sort of like the skills competion event they have the professioinal ice hockey guys do.  It would be crass and elitist, just like the skills competition, because only the "best" would be invited to compete.  The competitors could "act cool" and the public would love it.  We could get John Madden to host.  Maybe we could bring interest back.......

Alicia de Larrocha suggested this rather dryly and sarcastically in an interview about 30 years ago...
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 06:46:46 PM
Alicia de Larrocha suggested this rather dryly and sarcastically in an interview about 30 years ago...

predictably she is a bit on the slow side  8)

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 07:19:25 PM
predictably she is a bit on the slow side  8)

Have you heard the Liszt Sonata? Faster than most... :P 8)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: October 15, 2005, 07:23:59 PM
And Triana, Malaga, Corpus Christi, El Albaicin, Sevilla, Aragon...

Variations Serieuses, Alborada del Gracioso, Noctuelles, and so on...

and so I ask you, what have you heard that is so zlow?
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: October 15, 2005, 07:25:26 PM
Fanny Watermann (the GREAT pianist and Teacher) lamented publically some time ago the fact that there are too many 'musical typewriter's' out there and that far too few are concerned with beauty and sonority. Frankly I couldnt agree more  - and the situation has worsened since then.  WHEN will people learn that technique IS NOT about speed - it is the Art of playing Beautifully (which may, when required encompass speed).  Even if you seek to match Chopins metronome marks (not sure if they come out at the tempi you want - but you should check), Chopin's own law was music first and ease of expression - NOT break-neck speed.  Nobody wants to hear a mass of scrambled notes in a concert - and frankly ive heard Big names do that to their detrement.  Im sure you dont, but people often abuse the Chopin etudes by riping through them beginning to end and totally missing all the detail in the name of, guess what 'speed'.  If you can bring out every musical nuance and detail and play every note clearly so that in a ressonant hall it will sound clearly and if your pedalling is perfection and if your dynamic control is pin point road worth aaand still fit it all into under a minute or whatever you said then Go for it by all means BUT you will probably be the ONLY person in the world who can! :P

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 07:30:43 PM
Even if you seek to match Chopins metronome marks (not sure if they come out at the tempi you want - but you should check), Chopin's own law was music first and ease of expression - NOT break-neck speed.

Chopin's MM's are fast because pianos then were easier to play at high speeds...

It was Liszt's "law" too...
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 08:12:21 PM
Very true Arensky. (incidentally why do so few people look at the etudes by Arensky?). It is worth mentioning that the lilelyhood that even the #greatest' pianists of the past could do the submin mark on modern pianos is pretty slim.

Offline danyal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: October 16, 2005, 06:00:38 PM
Fanny Watermann (the GREAT pianist and Teacher) lamented publically some time ago the fact that there are too many 'musical typewriter's' out there and that far too few are concerned with beauty and sonority. Frankly I couldnt agree more  - and the situation has worsened since then.  WHEN will people learn that technique IS NOT about speed - it is the Art of playing Beautifully (which may, when required encompass speed).  Even if you seek to match Chopins metronome marks (not sure if they come out at the tempi you want - but you should check), Chopin's own law was music first and ease of expression - NOT break-neck speed.  Nobody wants to hear a mass of scrambled notes in a concert - and frankly ive heard Big names do that to their detrement.  Im sure you dont, but people often abuse the Chopin etudes by riping through them beginning to end and totally missing all the detail in the name of, guess what 'speed'.  If you can bring out every musical nuance and detail and play every note clearly so that in a ressonant hall it will sound clearly and if your pedalling is perfection and if your dynamic control is pin point road worth aaand still fit it all into under a minute or whatever you said then Go for it by all means BUT you will probably be the ONLY person in the world who can! :P

I like you. Just because you are one of the only people to agree with me in this entire thread.

Anyway, my point is, people will remember a concert and a pianist for generations to come for his interprative ability, musicality, style, emotion and soul, rather than his ability to move his fingers fast. Ofcourse being an all rounded pianist requires both, (dont get me wrong, I'm not at all disregarding technique) but you cant really have one without the other... its just that any emotionally dead monkey can be taught, practised and drilled to work the notes at hell bent speeds and record breaking limits... but that somewhat defeats the point of PLAYING MUSIC doesnt it?
I dont play an instrument, I play the piano.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 11:21:46 PM
Yes! Its both and.  I do presume we speak about 'perfection'.  I mean the number of people who have the most flawless technique And a devestatingly innate sense of musicality are miniscule and not all of them even make it in the profession (some people care too much to suceed!) so it really is Technique + musicality + x.  But to address your question there are probably at least a good handful (probably more ) that could do what you suggest.  Whether anyone would want to hear them more than once - well that's a whole other question. :P

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: October 16, 2005, 11:35:09 PM

That's because your technique is not good enough to play it that fast.  Not because it sounds better slower. If you can play as clear, but faster, it's allways the best.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: October 17, 2005, 08:22:00 AM
In the Ashkenazy recording i have he also pulls back here.  I guarentee you he is not struggling with the technique - he pulls back for a reason.  Quite possibly the same as the chopiabin. I heard Sokolov play this etude once and you couldnt tell what the time signature was or where the pedal changes were it was just all a blur start to finish with no discernable shape (harsh but true). I would have much rather heard it slower and actually been able to come away having heard some music. Alas it seems i ask too much! :(
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert