Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Boy/Girl Recital Gifts?  (Read 24926 times)

Offline kateb

• PS Silver Member
Boy/Girl Recital Gifts?
on: May 06, 2002, 02:55:25 AM
My studio is having their recital in a few weeks.  I would like to give each student a "gift" afterwards.

There are 12 girls and 3 boys ages 5-11.
I'd like to give a rose to each girl (a glimpse at the bouquet of roses they'll get after their senior recital in college  ;), and a ? to each boy.

Or should I give a rose to the boys too? I want to be politically correct, but I don't want to "gross" these little boys "out."  :)

Another option is a different flower---a gerberer daisy for all? Could little boys handle a gerberer daisy?

Opinions would be appreciated!

Kate

Offline Mandy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Boy/Girl Recital Gifts?
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 06:12:03 PM
What about giving the kids some sheet music?  There is tons of music out there that is fairly inexpensive-depending on where you live, it could be cheaper than roses!  That way, there would be no distinction between the girls and boys-I don't think that the boys, or possibly even some of the girls would truly appreciate the meaning behind the flowers.  

If you are set on giving the girls flowers, what about a little toy car or something like that for the boys?  

Hope that helps.
Mandy

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 05:22:00 AM
I agree that "at that age" the flower might gross out the boys.

One teacher I know gives out T shirts with her studio's name on it to all of the children. Or give all kids a ribbon. OR give a music pin (lapel pin/tie tack) to the boys. These can be had cheap - this might work for the girls too.

Good Luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Philadelphia, Pa.
(800) 394-1117
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Offline IvoryTickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 06:01:43 AM
Thanks, Rich ... love the t-shirt idea!!  Especially if it's something cool that the kids will like and wear often.  Free publicity all over town!   :o

Offline pianodeanne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 03:59:05 AM
Hello!  I am having my first piano recital on June 2!  I am giving my students participation awards that they can put in a frame and hang in their rooms.  The ones I have come 25 in a pack, and say "Certificate of Participation, and _____has been awarded the Degree of Excellence for performance at the Recital", and it has a line at the bottom for me to type in the date and sign my name.  I still have my own from when I was a student, and they always gave me a sense of pride when I received them.  

;)
Praise, praise, praise!!!

Offline kateb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2002, 05:05:09 AM
Pianodeanne--my first recital (for my students) is June 2nd too!! 3:00 USA eastern time. Let's think good thoughts for eachother!! :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert