Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Nobody Knows Blues  (Read 3254 times)

Offline silvaone

• PS Silver Member
Nobody Knows Blues
on: October 25, 2005, 05:07:24 PM
no im not having a go

its the name of the song....

quite long with improvisation all the way through.....

spur of them onent type thing

- Silva

Offline canardroti

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nobody Knows Blues
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 02:36:31 AM
excellent,  I liked it alot,  I'm just starting Jazz  music,  any tips on improvising?  Thanks man,  keep up the good work.

Offline silvaone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 07:09:05 PM
Hi there

thanks for your compliments :) Im glad you liked it

My suggestion would be to really learn the scales.... I can pretty much play in all 12 keys after 2 yrs....

learn your turn arounds in the 12 bar format as in a 12 bar pattern like this

C C C C

F F C C

G F C G then back to C

the G is the turn around note.... this way you can go from Ab7 to G7 then back to C.... gives it a nice quality

learn your 7th chords if you havnt already - a simple semitone transition in a 7th chord can make a really nice sound - also get used to grace notes and ''sliding'' when running down the scales

I would say the most common keys I hear piano blues in are and there patterns are:

C:
C C C C F F C C G F C G

G:
G G G G C C G G D C G D

F:
F F F F Bb Bb F F C Bb F C

E:
E E E E A A E E B A E B

A:
A A A A D D A A E D A E

and usually here boogie woogie (with the walking octave bass) in Eb as its easy to get used to.....

listen to a lot of blues/jazz music and really take in how to use phrasings and tell stories with your playing..... try playing a pattern an then play the next as if telling a story....

Ive uploaded two scans from one of my improvising the blues books and they really helped me

one is on crossover licks and the other is on turn arounds :)

hope it helps

https://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=15VF3C58MOIA81ANE8KHDRIBC2

take care

- Silva

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 07:47:27 PM
man that was an awesome song!! Thanks for posting that, it was really chillin
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert