Piano Forum

Topic: contemporary filipino  (Read 3077 times)

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
contemporary filipino
on: November 04, 2005, 05:31:57 PM
i was checking out the old posts and found out that one of our forumites actually asked what filipino composers write nowadays. i got this from Jhon's thread somewhere on page 6 or 7 of this audition room.

this is a composition by Josefino Toledo, a filipino. this was composed recently for the national piano competition. i included this in my recital, so take a look at it and see how filipino music is now.

the title is "aLtEred IMagEs". you will hear elements from asian and mostly our ethnic music.
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: contemporary filipino
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 11:37:53 PM
I have to admit that I find this very difficult to like. However, I think the fault, if fault it is, resides with me. A musical Westerner married to a Filipina for over twenty-five years is likely to have such a welter of images and feelings associated with that bright land and the gentle power of its people that any semblance to what Filipinos are actually doing with music is illusory at the best of times.

I think I am too romantically close to the Philippines to be able to stand back and view it objectively. You play it well, of course, that goes without saying, and I am very interested in any new music. No doubt you would say that my view is hopelessly sentimentalised, and in a certain sense you would probably be quite right.

Thank you for posting the work.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:43:28 AM
Cool Stuff.  Like Ted, I didn't hear much in common with the Filipino music and imagery that I have heard to this date.  Most of my recorded Filipino collection consists of folk tunes and endless love ballads that my relatives have collected over the years.  I did hear possible Ligeti and Boulez, as well as minimalistic influnces.  I definately like it, would you tell me where I can get a copy of the score?  Would you happen to have it scanned?

Thank you very much for posting.  Have you recorded any other Filipino works?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 04:28:22 AM
these two files are movements from a 5-movement work by Dr. Jonas Baes, DALUY which means "flow".

the first one is music for 5 stamping tubes and vocal calls.
the second one is for leader-chorus singing and bird whistles.

i haven't played other contemporary works yet. as for the score, i have yet to find out if they sell it. or else, i can upload it. the "altered images" is part of a suite written for a piano competition of the different categories. so in that suite, u will find movements for ages 6-9, 10-14, 15-19 and 20-25. these are the categories.
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert