Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - Sonata no. 5 in C Minor, op. 10 no. 1: I. Molto Allegro e con brio  (Read 9584 times)

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Please let me know what you think!!

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Yeah great, sounds technically very accurate, if it was 100% accurate it would sound like a music demo. Great recording quality very clear. I would like to suggest one thing, i think you should add a cresendo in the c minor arppegio after the opening chord, the arppegio should start mp , and end F on the last eflat etc etc. The same goes with the stoccata scales in bar 64 - 66 , + the arppegio on bar 76. Purhaps you should use the soft pedall at bar 118 -  126.
At the moment the music sounds like Scarlatti not Beethoven. All the best.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Only one comment?

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
I decided to listen to it again, its really good.

Offline gorbee natcase

• PS Silver Member
All the good ones I save, (Realy good .  ;) ;) You know if you play that on a monster piano it will sound awsome. I love monsters
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)      What ever Bernhard said

Offline xamy

• PS Silver Member
Technically very accurate, but in my opinion it needs to be a lot faster, it is allegro con brio afterall. Also try to be more "fierce", but be careful not to sacrifice accuracy and above all musicality. Good luck!

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
I only thought this was okay...I also play this sonata, so let me tell you, this is not a piece to be played on the electric piano. First of all, there were too subtle differences between dynamics, I often heard what was read to be a f, or sf, but you played it (or i thought you played it) in p, or mp. I've always thought that you should get in the mindset of what is thought to be Beethoven when playing any of his pieces. Because as you probably know, Beethoven wasn't exactly the most happy individual in the world. So it's probably good to exaggerate some of the dynamics, some of the time. I play the loud, minor key, parts as if I were angry; the soft, major parts, as if I were happy and peaceful; the soft minor parts as if I were growing in anger; and the loud major parts as if I am very happy. Now this is just my interpretation of the piece.....otherwise, this was quite enjoyable.

P.S. Remember, don't ever perform this piece on an electric piano!...unless of course you want to.....

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
randmc, i undestand what you are saying about happy and sad, but what is even more important is the contrast between masculinity and femininty, one should bring this out in the first few bars of this sonata. That concept of masculine and feminine also is found in the Grand Pathetic sonata.

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
I'm not so sure I understand you....? Can you rephrase that?

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
I'm not so sure I understand you....? Can you rephrase that?

Ok so am looking at this sonata right now. It starts in a heroic way, with the strong opening chord and the lovly rising arppegio, this arppegio is a little like Beethoven throwing his fist in the air. This is then answerd by three gentle calming feminine chords or voices. Beethoven replys with an even more strong deminished masculine chord and another heroic rising arppegio etc etc.
      Feel free to tell me that am talking rubish.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Hi,

Good work!  You have a great start, and I would say you are being too careful (I have done the same thing).  Let go and allow Beethoven his raw emotions.  The "masculine-feminine" idea is a good one.  Think about the very strong masculine quality of the opening motif, and then at bar 32 (I hope that's right) after a powerful three bars ending the phrase, you begin these lovely new meloies which are far more feminine.  I think it should sound as though you just breathed a sigh of relief.  You will get back to the powerful stuff soon enough!

You have the notes, and the dynamics--Now think in terms of what Beethoven (and you) are feeling and expressing. 

keep up the great work--
Teresa

Offline invictus

• PS Silver Member
I disagree, I don't like the beginning, its not angry enough to catch out attention, in fact, yours sounds like mozart. More awareness of style is needed, every pianist should have their own style, but they must also pertain some of the composer's style too, you didn't, or it was really minimal. It seemed like you were like a female playing the piano. Like Mozart playing Rach, Bach playing Prokofiev.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
It seemed like you were like a female playing the piano.
I haven't listened to the recording yet, but when I have a chance to, I might make some suggestions, but why such strong gender bias?  There is no need to stereotype women pianists.  In fact I know a lot of pianists who happen to be women who play with more passion than a lot of men who play.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline canardroti

• PS Silver Member
Hi ihave one question, I 'm ashamed to admit it but It is the first time i hear this sonata.
And i really liked how it sounds. Could anyone tell me how hard it is?  What grade is it in ?
harder than Tempest 1st movement or  beethoven's 1st sonata in F ?

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
. Could anyone tell me how hard it is?  What grade is it in ?
harder than Tempest 1st movement or  beethoven's 1st sonata in F ?

Well, the first Beethoven sonata in f minor is the first sonata that i learnt,  i would say its less difficult than this sonata, but the Tempest is more challenging than the both of them.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert