Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: A Brahms Intermezzo  (Read 1761 times)

Offline virtuoso_735

• PS Silver Member
A Brahms Intermezzo
on: November 07, 2005, 12:54:49 AM
Please listen and critique:

https://savefile.com/files/3033923

I posted a recording of this before, but this is take two, a new recording, with an in-tune piano.

Offline danyal

• PS Silver Member
Re: A Brahms Intermezzo
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 09:13:19 PM
It shows potential and its obvious that you've worked on it a great deal.

However I find it slightly mechanical. Almost as if you are just playing the notes you have learnt without really capturing the true meaning and emotion of the piece. This piece, for me anyway, is very sad and traumatic, and requires one hell of a lot from the inside and from the soul.

Technically, work on the flowing melodic lines. Hear where it should go and then transfer it to your fingers. Watch out for the different voices. You've done a good job with bringing the correct ones out where needed, but still, quieten the others and make very clear what you want brought out. Careful not to pop in random surprise notes from other voices now and then. I know, Brahms is very difficult in this aspect, but to get this technique perfect, you must just grit your teeth and bear it out. Keep your rhythm steady, careful not to rush. Also more dynamic range could transform the piece by miles. Keep it regular (concentrating on the lines should correct this with ease)

I think generally just hear how you want the piece to sound. When you practise it, every single note should be carefully thought of and practised well. Not one note should go untouched and unpractised. You should know EXACTLY how every moment should sound, and it shouldnt be anything less than the way you want it. It wasnt any different for Brahms so the performers of his works should give the same to his pieces as he did.

I know I may have just climbed into your piece and tore it to shreads but I hope it helps... Just a few quick tips. Dont let it get you down in any way, please, just work hard. You are extremely musical and have a lot of potential and could achieve a great deal with hard work.

Best of luck,
Danyal
I dont play an instrument, I play the piano.

Offline virtuoso_735

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 06:40:15 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your helpful reply!

I agree with many things that you said.  I notice that I don't really think about how I want the piece to sound, I just sorta play it.  Now, I have some sort of image of what the piece should sound like after thinking about it, and I will try to make it sound like that. 

And for the melody line, I try to bring it out in the minor section, but I'm not really sure how to the bring it out in the major sections, espesically the beginning and the beginning of the recapitulation.  I guess I could play the right hand notes which have the melody a big more pronounced.  :-\  :)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 01:35:35 AM
Hi virtuoso,

I love this piece.  You do have a good start, and with some more concentrated work on it, you will "get there!" 

I agree with the last post, that the piece is tender and wistful.  The emotion must come through, so my suggestion is that you listen to a rendition or two in recordings, and see how you feel as you hear the passages played.  The see if you can impart this emotion in your own playing. Brahms is difficult!

You asked how to bring out the melodies in various sections.  Just listen and pick out the melody only, without the accompaniment.  Play it very legato, with beautiful shaped phrasing.  When you hear those horizontal melody lines taking shape, put in the accompaniment.  Brahms often intertwines more than one melody line, and you must bring out each line in turn in a horizontal way, without vertical "chords" sounding like chunks. 

Good luck!  It will come!

Teresa

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert