Piano Forum

Topic: Help me with these measures in Haydn's D Major Sonata  (Read 2952 times)

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Help me with these measures in Haydn's D Major Sonata
on: November 26, 2005, 06:33:25 PM
I'm working on Haydn's Piano Sonata in D,Hob.XVI.37. Two measures are driving me crazy, because I don't see how they can be played at tempo - with the left hand. Specifically measures #9 and 10 of the development (measures # 49 and 50). I dont see how it's possible to play the 2nd half of the middle measure in the pic and the last measure of the top line with the left hand alone. In the last measure on top, is it 1-2-1-5? With 1 on the E, and 2 on the D-sharp, there's no way, with my hand, to reach the low E.

Would it be appropriate to pick those first three notes up with the right hand?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

George K
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help me with these measures in Haydn's D Major Sonata
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 08:35:25 PM
It does look hard, but I don't know about impossible. It might actually be easier than to do the 1st 3 notes with the right hand, but I think either way could work.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 08:43:58 PM
It might actually be easier than to do the 1st 3 notes with the right hand

That's what I'm thinking, especially if I want to play it "Allegro, con Brio!"

Thanks

George
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:31:51 AM
George,

Without seeing what you're doing, It's hard to offer a solid solution to your problem.  I can only assume the first obvious scenario: that you're not picking up your fingers properly.  If this is the case, please read on.

As soon as your 2nd finger plays the note, it should be off the note and your hand should be moving toward the octave note.  If you're trying to do this and still can't reach it, then your motion (getting the 2 off the note) is probably not fast enough. I say this because with you saying it's nearly impossible for you to reach from your 2 to your 5 finger -- you shouldn't be reaching at that point... don't leave the 2 behind and it will be possible.  You might try with some rhythm practice, by playing different rhythms on the four 16th note patterns in the LH and starting on different notes -- exxaggerate the length of the long notes in the made-up rhythmic pattern and then snap to the next notes when playing the faster rhythms.  Do this for awhile and then try putting it together and see if it helps.

Josh
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:04:47 AM
There's a very similar pattern to this in the LH part of Chopin's Etude Op.10 No.4 in C# minor, and it uses increasingly wider intervals (12th+) between the 5th finger bass note and the 1-2 fingers tone/semitone oscillation, and it is correspondingly harder.

Basically, you can't play these patterns with the hand rigidly in one place as if it was a Mozart Alberti-style bass figuration.

It has to be flexible and move up and down the keyboard.

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:58:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Seems to me that my "rigidity" is the problem, and thinking that I have to keep the thumb were it is while I reach for 5. I tend to be a "stiff" person, and learning to ride a horse went a long way toward undoing that, but I still have bad habits.

(See my "relax, relax" thread elsewhere)

I didn't get to play yesterday (Sunday) for I was at work, all day and night, so today is the day I try some new ideas. I'll let you all know how it goes.

George
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert