Piano Forum logo
November 20, 2017, 12:19:09 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Hollywood Greats Explore the Piano

Grammy-winning pianist Gloria Cheng invited some of the most prominent film composers of today to write new music for solo piano. Alexandre Desplat and John Williams were a few of the composers who took the bait and have now contributed to the contemporary piano repertoire. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liszt: Sonata in b minor  (Read 1324 times)
lisztisforkids
PS Silver Member

« on: November 28, 2005, 02:29:39 AM »

One of the most fascinating works for piano. Liszt at his best. Whats the story behind this piece? What do you think of it?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

we make God in mans image

piano sheet music of Sonata
stevie
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:35:44 AM »

one of the greatest pieces of music ever composed, true.
lisztisforkids
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 02:37:07 AM »

What I think is interestiong is how he builds much of the piece on the first motif.

we make God in mans image
brewtality
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 04:45:38 AM »

Parts of it remind me of the Alkan quasi faust. It's an amazing piece.

I Love Xenakis
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 06:58:16 AM »

Randomly I have to disagree with the "liszt at his best" comment.  The openning is really powerful but for me it just doesn't keep me enthralled throughout the whole piece.  It has great moments but I find large portions of it lacking.  The opening, along with most of the first movement, and the fugue are great but meh... I just feel there are too many better Liszt compositions to really get into this as much as a lot of people.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Lau is my new PF hero ^^
jas
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 06:44:37 PM »

I don't know much about the story behind it, but I can tell you that it's in double-function form, ie. it's simultaneously a single movement in sonata form and a whole four-movement sonata complete with 1st movement in sonata form. It's extremely clever the way it's worked out. It wasn't tried again until something Schoenberg wrote (can't remember what).
It's based on 5 (I think it's 5...) themes, or "thematic cells," which recur constantly and are meshed together and messed around with. It's really interesting to pick them all out.
Scholars thought for ages there was some kind of programme in it, because it was unlike Liszt to write such a long work without one. That and the fact that the title "Sonata" confused people.
Oh, and it's absolutely great!

Jas
superstition2
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 06:46:16 AM »

Randomly I have to disagree with the "liszt at his best" comment.  The openning is really powerful but for me it just doesn't keep me enthralled throughout the whole piece.  It has great moments but I find large portions of it lacking.  The opening, along with most of the first movement, and the fugue are great but meh... I just feel there are too many better Liszt compositions to really get into this as much as a lot of people.
Have you heard Horowitz'?
zheer
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:19:30 AM »

Have you heard Horowitz'?

Anything playd by Horowitz is amazing, the Liszt sonata depends largly on haw you play it.

" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -
phil13
PS Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 03:22:03 AM »

Randomly I have to agree with you. I find Liszt's Sonnettos del Petrarca, Hungarian Rhapsodies, and the Spanish Rhapsody more interesting than the B minor Sonata. However, it earns points for being an immortal piece of music and an amazing innovative work.

And I have heard Horowitz and also Pollini. That doesn't affect how I feel.

Phil
crazy for ivan moravec
PS Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 09:59:33 AM »

this is one of my very few dream pieces!!! try listening to Zimerman's recording of this, awesome!!! this is definitely the best among his works, IMO.

Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: