Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: liszt la leggierrezza  (Read 6603 times)

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
liszt la leggierrezza
on: December 05, 2005, 12:04:19 AM
my first recital. wasnt really happy with this one. i used to play lots of wrong notes... well, not that i don't struggle now. but in comparison, yes, it was dirty.

i thought hard before i decided to post this, hahaha.
but coments are most welcome!
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline palika dunno

• PS Silver Member
Re: liszt la leggierrezza
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:05:52 PM
a bit too slow for my taste and a bit too much pedal...but it was quite good!!!
Alfred Cortot's interpretation is my favourite...it's absolutely insane...
If you don't have it send me a personal message n i will send you...

palika

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 07:01:30 PM
how beautiful.  if i didn't know better - i'd say 'keep smokin'

do you want crit?  just a small one.  control on your trills.  but, since you say you're working it - sound really good anyway! i used to try to sort of shake my hand (quaver) to help myself with trills, but i think (i hope i am remembering right) my teacher suggested to just use a very minimal scissor kick with your fingers as though you are using them as legs of a swimmer and trying to get somewhere really fast.  the swimmer idea is mine.

for my own stability in practicing, sometimes i practice on a desk with my thumb down to hold the hand stable (trilling with 2 and 3).  this is purely my own wierdness coming out here.  i don't know what fingers you are trilling.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 02:24:34 AM
a bit too slow for my taste and a bit too much pedal...

you are definitely right about that. :) at that time, i also wanted it faster but technical limitations suck! i just cud not.

and it's not even light enough to say it's leggierrezza.

but thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys! :)

Offline asmailrabbit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:49:23 PM
I don't think it was too slow at all. Sheesh, how fash do you expect him to play this? Any faster would be killing so much of the natural wind-song grace of this piece. Perhaps a little pedal heavy but still, I would love to play this piece as well as you. Was the ossia near the end just too difficult to play or did you just choose to not take it?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:54:23 PM
interesting that you replied to a post of mine 5 years ago almost! but thanks for the comments. Now you make me wanna review it and play the ossia! At that time, it was difficult. Maybe now I can do it. :)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:59:43 PM
Hi crazy,

Somehow I missed this post when you put it up in 2005.  I would have been snowbound in December, so don't know how it happened.  ;D  Anyway, I like your performance very much, even though it's a bit slower tempo than customary.  You more than make up for that with the lyricism, drama, and accuracy you display in your interpretation.  You adhered to a cardinal rule of performance, and that is never to exceed one's own technical limitations (which we all have in one way or another).  Your fine recording attests to the fact that there are sometimes other avenues to successfully playing a difficult piece such as "La Leggierrezza".  Wonderful playing!  

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline asmailrabbit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:50:01 PM
crazy,

I actually could use some advice on this piece. I am having a lot of trouble with the delicatamente section on page three, synching the right chromatic runs with the left hand is giving me hell. any advice? Also, to reiterate, I think the tempo is fine and lends itself to your expression.

Offline arturfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 03:59:09 PM
interesting that you replied to a post of mine 5 years ago almost! but thanks for the comments. Now you make me wanna review it and play the ossia! At that time, it was difficult. Maybe now I can do it. :)

I didn't think it was too slow either with maybe the exception of a measure or two.  Maybe just too much rubato for me.  And I'm delighted that you didn't take the ossia (I'm assuming we're talking about those 3rds)  I don't think they fit as well musically and I'm tired of hearing them.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 02:03:22 AM
Hi crazy,

Somehow I missed this post when you put it up in 2005.  I would have been snowbound in December, so don't know how it happened.  ;D  Anyway, I like your performance very much, even though it's a bit slower tempo than customary.  You more than make up for that with the lyricism, drama, and accuracy you display in your interpretation.  You adhered to a cardinal rule of performance, and that is never to exceed one's own technical limitations (which we all have in one way or another).  Your fine recording attests to the fact that there are sometimes other avenues to successfully playing a difficult piece such as "La Leggierrezza".  Wonderful playing! 

thank you for your kind words!
wow! it's been years since the last time i was actively involved in this forum.. for some reason i just lost it.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 02:09:26 AM
crazy,

I actually could use some advice on this piece. I am having a lot of trouble with the delicatamente section on page three, synching the right chromatic runs with the left hand is giving me hell. any advice? Also, to reiterate, I think the tempo is fine and lends itself to your expression.

wish i could help in detail... this recording was in 2003! i suggest listening well to each hand, and try practicing it like a chopin nocturne, singing each note. then lighten up the sound and put tempo up a notch each time. the synching will come naturally. hope that helps.

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 02:33:22 AM
I think you trill better than most. Bravo. This one's in my collection...
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 02:00:43 AM
I have listened to this piece so many times as played by other artists and
frankly you played it very well.  (you must be a perfectionist not to like this...) ;D
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 05:39:48 AM
I have listened to this piece so many times as played by other artists and
frankly you played it very well.  (you must be a perfectionist not to like this...) ;D

Thanks. I think that would be a perfect piece for Enzo! How many chopin etudes has he studied now?

Offline peter_uk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:36 PM
A beautiful piece of music.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert