Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What pianists/conducters/composers have you met?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
What pianists/conducters/composers have you met?
on: September 28, 2003, 12:18:44 AM
Who have you met and what were they like?

I have met Vladimir Ashkenazy, Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Pierre Laurent Aimard, Daniel Barenboim, Charles Dutoit and John Tavener (and HRH The Queen - does this count - is she a musician?  :-/) :D.

Ed

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Re: What pianists/conducters/composers have you me
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 12:40:18 AM
Argerich, Ashkenzhy. Zuckerman... and thats about it.

I met Barenboim and he is an absolute jackass!
He was insulting every single person that came for an autograph... after each one left, he would turn towards some woman he had with him and tell her horrible things about them in Spanish... that guy looks so poor, hes so lucky to be able to afford seeing me play, look at the fat girl.... stuff like that.
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 02:40:53 AM
Yes, I got his autograph but he just sat there speaking to Fanny Waterman. The other people I met were much friendlier but they were backstage...
Ed

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 07:40:45 PM
Lupu (fortunate enough to have an amazing 2 hour lesson on the Symphonic Etudes with him)
Rudolf Serkin
Claudio Arrau
Hamelin
Horzowski (fortunate enough to play the Ravel Sonatine for him, and during the lesson he kept referring to "Maurice" this and "Maurice" that...it finally dawned on me that he KNEW Ravel)
Ohlsson
Zimmerman
...and the biggest thrill of my life, meeting Scriabin's granddaughter (daugher of Vladimir Sofronitsky) this past summer.  
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline ASBpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 08:12:10 PM
Just Daniel Barenboim.  A family friend of ours organized this reception after his performance at Symphony Hall in Boston.  It was pretty cool to speak to him in spanish (he's from Argentina, so am i  ;D), my dad brought like 5 cd's and he signed them all.  Cool guy  :)

I went to an Argerich concert while i was living in Argentina, and we were supposed to meet her as my dads sister organized the concert, but unfortunately it didn't work out  ???

Offline thetiniestspark

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 05:09:01 AM
I met Lang Lang when he came to Omaha this year. It was *amazing*. I think he played 6 encores before the concert was over!

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 10:09:48 AM
The only well-known pianist I've met was Angela Hewitt, and that was for a Baroque masterclass at the U of M.  She is very friendly, besides being a master of Bach interpretation.  She also autographed a CD for me.  It was amazing, she spelt my name correctly.  :)
You can't spell "Bach" without "ach"
-Xenon

Offline tph

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 03:41:48 PM
Being from Canada, I've met a fair number of Canadian performing pianists and musicians:

- Dang Thai Son (had lessons with him, a phenomenal pedagogue and artist)
- Anton Kuerti (nice guy, he once offered me free tickets to one of his concerts)
- Marc-Andre Hamelin
- Louis Lortie (I interviewed him when I was 11!)
- Angela Cheng
- Angela Hewitt (what a classy lady!)
- Andre Laplante
- Janina Fialkowska
- Richard Raymond
- Jon Kimura Parker (real charming guy)
- Georg Tintner (played under him before he passed away tragically in 1998; a consumate gentleman and a great human being)

And the only non-Canadian that I've met in recent memory is Alfred Brendel (a bit inept socially, if I remember well).

tph

Offline Laurationg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2003, 09:56:03 AM
I've played in a number of masterclasses conducted by great pianists and pedagogues (to name a few)- Menahem Pressler, Rebecca Penneys, Ann Schein,  Gyorgy Sebok (shortly before he passed away) - he was improvising on the second piano while I was playing my Schubert sonata in D major!.

I have heard these pianists' live performances: Helene Grimaud, Constance Keene (turned page for her and received a free CD!), Andras Schiff (later asked for his autograph on his Bartok concerti recording), Chick Corea, Emmanuel Ax, Hamelin (took photos with him afterwards!).

I remember meeting the cellist, Yo-yo Ma, after his concert and asking him to sign an autograph.  And he signed it upside down while standing face to face with me, but his writing appeared right side up to me!  Amazing!!

Offline Laurationg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2003, 10:01:09 AM
Helene Grimaud was truly unique.  She had her head shaved completely off, and she was wearing this pyjamas-like outfit when I saw her live for the first time.  Totally contrasting to what she appeared in the program!

Anyone know much about Helene??

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2003, 02:27:16 PM
She's hot even without the hair.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2003, 11:29:52 PM
Quite,
Ed

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2003, 05:02:23 PM
I met Peter Donohoe after he gave a (very disappointing) recital at my school last night. We had a drink together though and he was a very nice man...
Ed

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 03:56:04 AM
Robert D. Levin in a Bach seminar in Leipzig, very nice guy
Dimitri Bashkiroff in the Kiew's Philarmonia after his recital
Joao Carlos Martins(very friendly), Angela Hewitt (these two were juries in a competition I participated. That Angela can be a lady, but she was very pedantic when I talked with her, didn't like at all...)

Listened live performances but didn't talk with them:
Ivo Pogorelich
Lazar Berman
Vladimir Krainev
Roger Muraro
Gidon Kremer
Didn't ask for autographs, I don't have that tradition...
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline piglet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 07:18:00 PM
Thracozaag, you met Scriabin's granddaughter? Great.
How did it happen? What was it like?

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2003, 08:05:34 PM
Thracozaag, you met Scriabin's granddaughter? Great.
How did it happen? What was it like?

She lives in San Francisco, of all places.  I was playing out in Berkley and a friend of a friend knew her and since Scriabin was on the program, invited her out.  Needless to say, I was tongue-tied the entire time talking to her; very gracious, sweet person.  She was kind enough to give some very rare Sofronitsky performances that weren't ever released in the west.
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline Chopins_Fantaisie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2003, 09:36:32 PM
This past September I had the opportunity to hear Olga Kern perfom Tchaikovsky's Piano concerto, no. 2. Afterwards I had gone up stage and she signed my program. Very impressive young pianist and quite kind.
Music is my refuge. I could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert