Piano Forum

Piano Streetís Top Picks of 2023
We wish you a Happy New Year with a list of recommended reading from Piano Street. These are the most read, discussed or shared articles of 2023. /The Piano Street Team Read more >>

Topic: What is the going rate for piano lessons?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline rain74

• PS Silver Member
What is the going rate for piano lessons?
on: September 28, 2003, 03:38:54 AM
Hi.  I just started trying to learn how to play the piano on my own, but after reading some posts on these boards, I'm really thinking about getting a teacher.  Can anyone tell me the going rate for piano lessons?  And, how can I get a good teacher?  I live in the Midwest (Milwaukee, to be exact).  I'll be 29 years old soon.  I just want to learn so that I can play pieces that I love.  I don't plan to compete or anything.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

rain

Offline ASBpiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: What is the going rate for piano lessons?
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 03:51:04 AM
Rain,
The rate really depends on the teacher.  I'm not being taught through the New England Conservatory and i believe the lessons are around $70 each (my dads the one paying, not me).  Thats a lot for a lesson, but I have a VERY good teacher (ond of the best in the area).  It really depends...  Before i had this teacher (before 2 years ago) i believe my lessons were between 30 - 40 dollars.  I'd suggest you look into some piano associations.  Here we have NEPTA, which is the New England Piano Teachers Association, and some other stuff.  Another thing you could do is call a conservatory.  Many of the teachers there also give private lessons.  Good luck!  :)

Offline aki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 10:02:07 AM
here in Canada, the on-going rate is $55 Canadian.  My teacher charges $75 an hour.  But I don't think you need to start off with a teacher who charges over $40.

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 05:43:58 AM
hey my teacher is really good and he charges $20 (US dollars)
rach on!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert