Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Countdown to Piano Fantasies  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Countdown to Piano Fantasies
on: October 01, 2003, 08:37:09 PM
Seeing that the "Countdown to Best Grands" thread was warping into a "Piano Fantasy" thread since RachFan started posting about his dream for a house with a recital hall complete with an SF-10 and box seats and balconies and all, let's do this right -- with this "Countdown to Piano Fantasies" thread instead. ;D

Feel free to one-up each other's Piano Fantasies.

Fire away!

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Re: Countdown to Piano Fantasies
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 01:11:09 AM
I would have a theater-type recital hall, terraced seating around 500, plus a circle and boxes. In the middle of the stage there would be two Fazioli F 308s, one black and one in a custom design (such as the one I have a poster of above my headboard - it can be seen at https://www.piano-world.co.il/cover.gif  ;D). The stage would be like the Barbican in London, where the middle section can be lowered to bring up a new piano from the basement (where every model of piano in the world would be held). Adjacent to the recital hall would be a recording studio, so positioned so any piano could be brought in to be recorded. Oh, and Martha Argerich would sit on my Faz' all day and night playing whatever I requested. Did I get carried away?
Ed

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 04:46:20 AM
Good grief!  I thought nothing could top my home recital hall, but eddie moved it into a more fanciful level yet!   :D

Added thought: Here's the lighting effect you need there--around the perimeter of the elevator section of the stage you would have permanent  in-stage recessed lighting.  When you are bringing up a piano (i.e., a Baldwin SD10) from the basement, the house lights would dim, and the perimeter lighting would shoot up vertical beams around the elevator like etherial columns to add to the drama of the instrument's arrival on stage.  Perfect, eh?  People would troop over from Proms at the Royal Albert and from the middle act of Aida at Covent Garden just to see this marvel.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 11:26:26 PM
Of course I would have a workshop and a library. One full of 1st editions and manuscripts of piano works. The workshop would be full of pianos with a team of expert technitians always there to customize my piano to my whims. Id have a recording studio and Brendel, Argerich and Perahia on speed dial ready to play private recitals for me.
Since were going over board, Id have a medium so I could contact Liszt, Rachmaninoff and Hoffman and listen to their expert opinions.
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 08:34:15 AM
Well, I don't have quite the vivid imagination of you two, but I do harbor some piano fantasies of my own, some attainable, and a couple nowhere near, but fun anyway.

The attainable one involves using the empty spot behind my house to build a studio outbuilding, with room for a chamber group plus small audience.  The piano would be a Faz 228.  Because it would be separate from the house I could practice all night if I wanted and not have to quit because it was Jim's bedtime.  All my music stuff would be there so I could practice the clarinet, too and not bug anybody.

The unattainable ones involve ridiculously large studios, and recital halls where I could have one of each - Bluthner model 2, Grotrian 7'4", Faz 228, and maybe a Stewart and Sons, and a Steinway for kicks.  I'd have to decide what the recital *hall* would be like.  After all, in this fantasy I play stuff like Liszt and Chopin and Rach all the time, so I would get invites to play at famous halls, and probably wouldn't need my own.
So much music, so little time........
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert