Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt - Transcendental Etude No. 10 in F Minor  (Read 9215 times)

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Liszt - Transcendental Etude No. 10 in F Minor
on: January 10, 2006, 05:09:16 AM
This is still a work in progress.

Offline danyal

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt - Transcendental Etude no. 10 in F Minor
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:18:40 AM
WAKE UP!! Where's the life?? The excitement?!?!? This is a truly passionate and wonderul piece and you play it as if you are either half asleep, or bored to death, or both.

Yes it is a work in progress, I understand and its obvious that you will be able to play it up to speed in time, because you are obviously practising correctly, but maaaan, dont play it as if you are on your deathbed!! You dont want your audience falling asleep.

Technically you need more dynamics, its a little bit monotonous. And watch the pedal in the coda, not too much. Also, keep your time steady, you tend to get slightly faster in the passages you know better. And vice versa.

Your voice distribution is not bad, you know which notes you want to bring out and which not to, you have a good understanding of that... you're playing on a digital right? It might help to play on an accoustic to get the notes to truly "sing". Call me old fashioned. I cant STAND digital.

You have to experience the piece! Feel the piece! Explore it, experiment with it, get to know it! Figure out what it means to YOU (I'm really not talking about what the composer felt, or what the audience should feel, but what you feel whle playing it) I strongly believe that no human is completely devoid of emotion or soul... it just needs to be brought out!!

Its not about the right notes (thats the easy part), its about the MUSIC!! The soul! If you disagree, please tell me what you then think the point of music is...

Good luck,
Danyal
I dont play an instrument, I play the piano.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:03:05 AM
Am sorry danyal i had to find out for myself if what you said was true, and no thats not a fair thing to say, Tempo was good expression was good dynamic was good it was well playd, and am sure it will be better in time.
        What you said about the pedal was wrong, it was fine, he also sounded fully awake to me. He also clearly feels the music, he knows what it means to him. It was not deviod of all human emotions. Sure its not playd like Kissin, but danyal you made it as though it was the worst performance ever.
         Well all i can say is dont be upset with that comment cherub.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline lisztisforkids

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 05:58:19 PM
Well... Hmm....   :-\

Just kidding, I think that this is going to be really good! Ofcourse there is some things wrong, but this is still in progress. Be sure to post it when its finished!
we make God in mans image

Offline I Love Xenakis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:11:26 PM
What fingering are you using for the opening?  I highly advise finding a more comfortable one that would allow you to play it faster.  Actually, what fingering are you using for the entire piece...?  Lacks speed and ferocity.  Did you accidently leave your feet on the damper and soft pedals throughout the entire piece?

MORE POWER
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Lau is my new PF hero ^^

Offline xire

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 08:38:16 PM
Speed up and more power, that's what you need to add. The rest is good imo, nice playing!

Maybe watch this video by Boris Berezovsky playing Etude No. 10 in F minor:

https://rapidshare.de/files/10182964/Berezovsky_-_Liszt_-_Transcendental_Etude_No_10__Appassionata.avi.html

Maybe you see some nice fingering he uses, that you can use if you like to.  :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 03:49:31 AM
Thanks guys for your comments.  I want to learn the notes first so that it can be very solid.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 04:14:59 AM
Speed up and more power, that's what you need to add. The rest is good imo, nice playing!

Maybe watch this video by Boris Berezovsky playing Etude No. 10 in F minor:

https://rapidshare.de/files/10182964/Berezovsky_-_Liszt_-_Transcendental_Etude_No_10__Appassionata.avi.html

Maybe you see some nice fingering he uses, that you can use if you like to.  :)

I already have this video, but thanks anyway.  I really like how he plays it.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:32:09 PM
What fingering are you using?

I am using the fingering that is provided in the Dover edition.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert