Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Shine  (Read 2841 times)

Offline chsmike2345

• PS Silver Member
Shine
on: August 20, 2003, 04:33:47 AM
What do you all think about the piano quotes from shine like "Learn the notes first, then forget them" and "It must come from the soul"? I think they're marvelous...

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Re: Shine
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 05:13:46 AM
I find them cool,too,and I think that it's true what they express.I like that movie a lot, either.
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 08:30:34 AM
It's a great movie - especially as I know the Royal College of Music so well (I had choir where he had his lesson!),
Ed

Offline DaNiElLe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 03:20:13 PM
Shine is a great movie...but seeing David Helfgott live in concert is even better. its just mezmerizing watching his hands play so beautifully...

Danielle

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 04:00:50 PM
Helfgott is a mediocre pianist at best,
Ed

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 05:28:19 PM
why would you say that about helfgott?? are you talking before sickness, after, or in general?
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 05:42:20 PM
why would you say that about helfgott?? are you talking before sickness, after, or in general?

I'm sure he was a marvelous pianist before his malady, but now...well...eddie was actually kind in his assessment.  A real shame.
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 05:55:26 PM
ya im not sure.  never heard him recently.  the rach 3 recording he made there was a lot of mistakes:( and he doesnt stay quiet.
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 05:36:54 PM

Sorry, but Eddie got it right. He showed much promise, but did not live up to it, most likely due to his illness. I feel sad about his illness, but the unseemly manner in which he was trotted out in front of audiences in the '90s was more reminiscent of a circus act than a classical music concert.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Laurationg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 10:03:17 AM
If Helfgott wasn't suffering from his illness, do you think he'd be as well-known as he is today?  I know someone who had worked with him personally....

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2003, 11:52:22 AM
ahh... i regret i didn't watch the movie! i'm so bad. it was shown on a channel and i thought it was all junk.

is shine the story of david helfgott? or is it that david helffgot starred in the movie shine?? which is which?

really, eddie?? you had choir in the same room where david had classes?? that is sooo cool!!!

oh yes back to topic. those quotes are cool! i think they're true.  after you learn the notes, you just let your hands play for you..

"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2003, 01:51:49 PM
If Helfgott wasn't suffering from his illness, do you think he'd be as well-known as he is today?

Definitely not.

is shine the story of david helfgott? or is it that david helffgot starred in the movie shine?? which is which?

It is the story of David Helfgott.

really, eddie?? you had choir in the same room where david had classes?? that is sooo cool!!!

Thanks!

Ed

Offline GG

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2003, 05:47:11 PM
I agree with many of you, regarding the quotes and regarding his playing, and would like to add another aspect of the film. Apparently an injustice was done to the family in the film. According to the sisters, the father and the home life were portrayed in a manner which were very far from the truth.

Offline meiting

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2003, 07:47:57 PM
bah. i never watched it, and i never will.

the quotes sound cool, but that's all there is to it.

Helfgott's performance (was it of the flight of the bumblebee?) was crap. period.

mt
Living for music is a sad state. Living to play music is not.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2003, 07:59:25 PM
It was actually a very good film,
Ed

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2003, 12:30:10 PM
yes, i think it was nice too. how's the movie, THE PIANIST?? has anybody here watched it?
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2003, 05:42:11 PM
I tend to agree with Meiting. The quotes are nice, but that's all. They are the usual nonsense you hear a lot, but never seems to have helped any musician play better. "Music must come from the soul" - OK, care to tell me how to do that?

I've seen clips of the film, but not the whole thing. Since Ed thinks it's  good, and we agree on everything else ;) , I may as well check it out.

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2003, 07:52:02 PM
Well, it was good the first time. The Pianist is good but don't go into it thinking it is a film about the piano,
Ed

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2003, 12:27:42 PM
yes, i've heard. the pianist is about war... anyway, i'd like to see the performing. do you think he was playing the nocturne a bit fast or with a lot of force??

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 01:36:25 AM
There was something very strange happening on the trills! The first ballade was good though,
Ed

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 06:06:15 AM
About Shine and the quotes... thos quotes are nice but i agree they are useless.
But what about the other things the teacher said?
"Performing is dangerous, dont make a mistake its dangerous..."
"Tame the piano or it will swallow you whole"
"Dont you love those big FAT chords??!"

How ridiculous!
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2003, 11:29:27 PM
Of course... Helfgott is pretty bad... although I never heard him before his illness. On the other hand, the pianist portrayed on THE PIANIST movie. Plays expetionally well Chopin. Oh man! polish I guess....
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 31, 2003, 12:48:50 AM
On the other hand, the pianist portrayed on THE PIANIST movie

Wladyslaw Szpilman's recordings are not used in "The Pianist",
Ed

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 03, 2003, 10:11:42 PM
I know. I said the pianist portrayed. Not the music on the movie. In the soundtrack there is one track played by him. Or, you can download him of the internet.

Listen to his nocturnes...
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 01:14:36 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood  :),
Ed

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 13, 2003, 04:44:42 PM
You 'misunderestimated' his knowledge of music.
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 13, 2003, 08:42:39 PM
You 'misunderestimated' his knowledge of music.

Mr Bush, is that you?!
Ed  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert