Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Schubert - Impromptu in E-Flat Major (op.90 no.2)  (Read 6772 times)

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Schubert - Impromptu in E-Flat Major (op.90 no.2)
on: January 19, 2006, 09:44:34 AM
I've just started this piece and would appreciate advice regarding it.

I am not too worried about most of this piece because I have already tried sections out and it's not that bad at all.

However the second section of the piece worries me a little (bars 25-50). The right hand part for these bars just seems awkward to me, it doesen't seem to lie under the hand that well. I can imagine it being difficult to play at top speed because so far I have only gone through it slow.

Can anyone help??

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert - Impromptu in E-Flat Major (op.90 no.2)
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 01:41:24 PM
Hmm...You may want to try separating out the melody, which is mostly played by the 4-5th fingers of the RH, and play that (with the appropriate fingers) alone, or with the LH accompaniment but not the RH triplets, until you get a legato, smooth melody.

Then all I could suggest is slow practice (what else is new?) until the awkwardness is overcome, with gradually increasing speed. 

The piece is "allegro", but I don't think it needs breakneck speed.  The runs just need a honey-like sweetness and clarity, and the middle section a contrasting sort of bravado.

Have fun!
Teresa

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert - Impromptu in E-Flat Major (op.90 no.2)
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:25:06 PM
Hmm...You may want to try separating out the melody, which is mostly played by the 4-5th fingers of the RH, and play that (with the appropriate fingers) alone, or with the LH accompaniment but not the RH triplets, until you get a legato, smooth melody.

Then all I could suggest is slow practice (what else is new?) until the awkwardness is overcome, with gradually increasing speed. 

The piece is "allegro", but I don't think it needs breakneck speed.  The runs just need a honey-like sweetness and clarity, and the middle section a contrasting sort of bravado.

Have fun!
Teresa

Thanks. I'll give that a try. The first section isn't half as demanding on the right hand, so i'm fine with that.
This is one hell of a show off piece!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert