Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Piano Concerto No.4  (Read 5221 times)

Offline boygab90

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Piano Concerto No.4
on: January 25, 2006, 02:46:42 AM
but only first movement without cadenza part,2 piano, played when i was 13 i think
Read Piano Notes[/url]

Offline pianohopper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Piano Concerto No.4
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 04:12:40 AM
Out of curiousity, how old are you now?  If this was a long time ago recording, perhaps my comments are no longer applicable.   Anywho, my two cents:

Your beginning, I think, should be more legato.  Try a bit of pedal. 

The playing of this is of course a big technical achievement for a 13-year-old.  However, the question to be more concerned is: do you have the feel for the piece?  The emotion contained in here is very deep and pure; I will not pass judgment on that yet.  I might add, though, the dynamic range is constrained and not nearly as contrasting as might be desirable for Beethoven. 

The important thing about Beethoven, or any piece, for that matter, is the tone you put into every single note, make it count, sing...  I feel that more thought could have been given to specially lyrical/melodic parts. Some passages feel a bit too heavy.  Again, not knowing how long ago this was, I am not judging anything currently.

Some of the chords in the middle/end seem a bit shaky.

Obviously you have great skill and talent. 
"Today's dog in the alley is tomorrow's moo goo gai pan."  ~ Chinese proverb

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 04:14:29 AM
that's pretty good for 13!  maybe less staccato and more connected?  but, for that age, really great interpretation and sound.  chords played together.  very difficult concerto for such a young age!  i hear the voicing and think it's amazing for that age.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:58:36 PM
That's quite amazing for a 13 year old, congrats! :)

I would like to know how old you are now, too, but if you would like any suggestions, I tend to agree with the previous posters. 

I have played this concerto, which is my very favorite of all (I bought the score when I was maybe 20, and I didn't perform it for anyone until I was 37!  That was a 2-piano performance.) 

You need more clarity in some areas, but that comes with plain old practice on the technically tough passages.  Beethoven is about as tough as Mozart as far as imperfections being hard to hide! 

Mainly you need age and experience (which maybe you have by now??)--This is one of the most profound and beautiful pieces in the literature, and it takes a lot of emotional maturity to even begin to reach its potential depths.  Keep up the marvelous work, and you will get there!

All the best, Teresa

Offline davetlee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 08:36:41 PM
I once heard a 14 year old play the 1st mov't beautifully, so it can be done.  I think you have a good start on the piece.  I think the tempo is generally too slow (especially the first few pages), it really drags down the musical line.  Opening is too staccato for my taste.  Overall, the piece needs maturity in the use of expressive timing and tonal color.  But a great start and hope you keep it up! 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert