Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Emil Gilels  (Read 4825 times)

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Emil Gilels
on: January 28, 2006, 03:16:00 AM
Emil gilels plays with a sense of poetry combined with a formidable intellectual command and a mastery of keyboard control that has few rivals. As a Beethoven interpreter he is almost peerless. He has something of the same wisdom and vision that one finds with Solomon. So complete in his identification with Beethoven and so personal in his playing that it seems to bring to the listener into direct contact with the composer. 
Music soothes the savage breast.
Paul Naud

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Re: Emil Gilels
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:19:03 AM
he alzo had inzane octz

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 05:20:23 AM
and killer tone.

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:49:46 AM
And unsurpassable Brahms.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:53:28 AM
Are you guys talking about me again. 8)
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:05:01 AM
possibly the biggest eyebrows in pianistic history??
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:13:49 PM

That would be Mr Brendull.

Offline der wanderer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 03:45:25 PM
Emil Gilels knew how to play hard and gentle, yes definitively a poet, nowdays
extremely rare are the pianists whith these basic qualities.  :'(

My favorite Gilels is in Edvard GRIEG concerto in A minor, with Sir Colin Davis conducting (live at the proms - 1971?)...

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 07:15:08 PM
And the last recording of late Beethoven. Very special!!

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 02:42:19 AM
That would be Mr Brendull.

OMG

BREN"DULL"

YOU ARE A GENIUS BREW, YOU KNOW THAT???
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 09:47:42 AM
OMG

BREN"DULL"

YOU ARE A GENIUS BREW, YOU KNOW THAT???

Thanks.  8)

I doubt I'm the only one to think of that, it seems like quite an accurate description (apologies to any Brendel fans, this is my personal opinion).

Someone mentioned that Gilels was unsurpassable in Brahms, while I love his brahms, there are others who play this composer equally (or in certain pieces better) than Gilels, like Arrau and Katchen. Gilels Tchaikovsky first with Reiner is my equal favourite along with Horowitz (with Barbirolli) - listen to those octaves  :o, and what great tone!

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 12:32:32 PM

>:(
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 12:14:25 AM
Gilels playing of Brahms offers artistry of an order that silences criticism. In terms of imaginative vitality and musical insight  it would be difficult to surpass  these readings. It goes without saying that at no time is one's attention  drawn to Gilels's keyboard mastery, for so complete is his identification with the musical inspiration that one thinks only of Brahms.
Paul Naud

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 09:23:34 PM
Don't forget the recording of the "Appassionata" that must rank among the finest ever made. Gilels's art is so totally at the service of the composer  and his playing is so subtle and poetic that this familiar sonata emerges as fresh experience. With artistry of this power and eloquence criticism is silenced.
Paul Naud

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 11:34:17 PM
you should hear the recording where he takes the third movement in 4'13", I wonder if that one's "totally at the service of the composer". Regardless, it's a wikid rec fo sho.

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:46 AM
you should hear the recording where he takes the third movement in 4'13", I wonder if that one's "totally at the service of the composer". Regardless, it's a wikid rec fo sho.
WHAT A SHAME!................................................................................................... ...........................

REMEMBER When Emil Gilels,for example, approaches the Waldstein, elegance uniquely combined with tremendous dynamic force and energy is the hallmark of the great master's middle period. Just listen to the finale of the Fifth symphony, the Rondo of the Violinconcerto or the finale of the Waldstein and you'll see what I mean.
Emil gilels does so while keeping a certain distance to the music. This isn't the late Beethoven or even more so Schubert, where one can and must abandon artistic distance in order to uncover the deeperlayers. This is the heroic Beethoven; music which posseses the kind of Imperial greatness one has to admire from the outside. I have rarely heard pianoplaying matching that of Gilels' Waldstein when it comes to pure elegance and authority. The fastflowing notes of the first movement is presented with a stinging clarity making them sparkle and shine like beads of water under the morning sun. The short second movement is rahter gloomy and strangely distant compared to the two large outer movements, for which it almost works as an intermezzo.
Paul Naud

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 01:42:12 AM
thanks for the suggestion of great recordings.  will  listen.  i don't think i've heard him play the waldstein (or the grieg, for that matter).

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 04:45:34 AM
I strongly prefer his Waldstein to his Appassionata.

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 05:29:11 PM
hum a topic about Gilels...  funny, but I have some feeling that the creator of the current topic did not listen to Gilels craziest stuff!

Don't forget the recording of the "Appassionata" that must rank among the finest ever made. Gilels's art is so totally at the service of the composer and his playing is so subtle and poetic that this familiar sonata emerges as fresh experience. With artistry of this power and eloquence criticism is silenced.

sounds like the studio rec...  ;D

Gilels live recs will silence criticism in a much different way  8)

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 07:09:02 PM
WHAT A SHAME!................................................................................................... ...........................

REMEMBER When Emil Gilels,for example, approaches the Waldstein, elegance uniquely combined with tremendous dynamic force and energy is the hallmark of the great master's middle period. Just listen to the finale of the Fifth symphony, the Rondo of the Violinconcerto or the finale of the Waldstein and you'll see what I mean.
Emil gilels does so while keeping a certain distance to the music. This isn't the late Beethoven or even more so Schubert, where one can and must abandon artistic distance in order to uncover the deeperlayers. This is the heroic Beethoven; music which posseses the kind of Imperial greatness one has to admire from the outside. I have rarely heard pianoplaying matching that of Gilels' Waldstein when it comes to pure elegance and authority. The fastflowing notes of the first movement is presented with a stinging clarity making them sparkle and shine like beads of water under the morning sun. The short second movement is rahter gloomy and strangely distant compared to the two large outer movements, for which it almost works as an intermezzo.

that's very true

if u are able to get your hand on his old old video release which has the Waldstein on
you will freak out

that's the best Beethoven sonata (any beethoven sonata recording/video) ever.
bar none.
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 05:43:14 AM
Gilels is my favourite and the true messenger of Beethoven !!!!

I have just found out that he recorded the Rach3, two times actually, so someone who has listened to both please tell me wich one should I get.  :P
It's better to make your own mistakes than copy someone else's. - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 05:56:38 PM

I have just found out that he recorded the Rach3, two times actually, so someone who has listened to both please tell me wich one should I get.  :P

the one with Cluytens is best IMO.  And it comes with a very good Saint-Saens 2.

on the other hand, you might as well get the 10 cd set Brilliant classics, with the other Rach 3 version and a bunch of very good Gilels performances.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 06:42:34 PM

One is with Cluytens and another is live from Carnegy Hall (IIRC, with Reiner).
IMO, the life recording is by far superior. He plays it like a KING. This is one of the very best recordings of this concerto I ever heard.

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 07:13:00 PM
I think I will get both, Damnit I'll have to save a lot. Anyways thank you very much !  :P
It's better to make your own mistakes than copy someone else's. - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 12:05:39 AM
One is with Cluytens and another is live from Carnegy Hall (IIRC, with Reiner).
IMO, the life recording is by far superior. He plays it like a KING. This is one of the very best recordings of this concerto I ever heard.

interesting, that means there is a third version...

I only heard the Cluytens  and the  Kondrashin.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 05:34:44 PM
interesting, that means there is a third version...

I only heard the Cluytens  and the  Kondrashin.

I saw the Kondrashin version. Did not get it yet, though.

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 09:56:50 PM
there are three gilels rach 3 recs:
1. with Kondrashin
2. with Ormandy (1966)
3. with Cluytens

I haven't heard the kondrashin rec ..but both Ormandy and Cluytens are very good !
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 04, 2006, 03:59:30 AM
there are three gilels rach 3 recs:
1. with Kondrashin
2. with Ormandy (1966)
3. with Cluytens

Does someone have an Mp3 of them ?

Offline contrapunctus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 04, 2006, 04:53:38 AM
And unsurpassable Brahms.

Let's not forget Gould's Brahms. It is on a completely different eschelon.
Medtner, man.

Offline acha114

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 04:18:46 AM
Has Gilels recorded any Chopin? Is it any good? I have a couple of his recordings of Beethoven sonatas which I think are excellent.

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 07:18:39 AM
Has Gilels recorded any Chopin? Is it any good? I have a couple of his recordings of Beethoven sonatas which I think are excellent.

Of course he did recorded Chopin! Here is Gilels's discography:

https://www.doremi.com/DiscGilComp.html

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 10:42:52 PM

his Chopin is very good.  One of the best concerto 1 IMO.  Nice sonata 2 and sonata 3.  One of the craziest ballade 1.  All worth a listen, or more.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 03:12:05 AM
Kreso,

Many thanks for posting Gilels' discography!

Although I believe his Concerto No1 is a jewel, and Polonaises and Sonatas sets are tremendous, there are some of his Chopin recordings I don't like as much.

With all my greatest admiration, love, and respect to Gilels, I feel his set of complete Preludes is quite disappoiniting. I equally dislike his Mazurcas. It seems he was too serious of a musician for those miniatures, and the fact he played Preludes only ones, and recorded Mazurcas only live later in his life, confirms that the Great Maestro did not feel himself ready for that type of music.

Anyway, sometimes, just out of curiosity I listen back to those recordings wondering--how come I don't like them, but keep coming back again and again? It does not happen with Ashkenazy or Pollini recordings, when nothing seems to bother there, but once you heard their recordings you don't want to experience them again...

Let's not forget Gould's Brahms. It is on a completely different eschelon.

Contrapunctus,

I know you are not the most rational person on the board, and I am not going to argue with you.

Don't take me wrong, I admire Gould and consider him as one of the greatest minds of the 20th and very possibly of the 21st century, in piano, but common...

To compare Gould's and Gilels' Brahms is the same as to compare a mad scientist in his lab and a human being, who seems to understand in life everything.

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 09, 2006, 03:47:27 AM
To compare Gould's and Gilels' Brahms is the same as to compare a mad scientist in his lab and a human being, who seems to understand in life everything.
Gould always recreates every piece he's interpreting, he would have been much better a  great composer.
Gilels is one of the greatest pianist of the 20th century.
Paul Naud

Offline contrapunctus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006, 04:36:38 AM

Marik, I don't think you understand the fact that all music is is a certain combination of notes, dynamics, etc. You are trying to tell me I am irrational because I am comparing combinations or notes and how they are played? I think you are the one being irrational.
Medtner, man.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 09, 2006, 05:00:12 AM
Marik, I don't think you understand the fact that all music is is a certain combination of notes, dynamics, etc. You are trying to tell me I am irrational because I am comparing combinations or notes and how they are played? I think you are the one being irrational.

Dear Contrapunctus,

I certainly don't care what you think.

Likewise, I certainly agree that I don't understand the fact that all music is a certain combination of notes, dynamics, etc.

Furthermore, I am not trying to tell you that you are irrational because you are comparing combinations or notes and how they are played.

All am saying is that to compare Gould's and Gilels' Brahms is the same as to compare a mad scientist in his lab to a human being, who seems to understand in life everything.

Am I irrational? Maybe. But who cares on this particular board?

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: March 09, 2006, 06:43:14 PM
In 1932, Artur Rubinstein gave a concert in Odessa and was told of the young Gilels. Rubinstein auditioned young Emil at the Odessa conservatory the day after his recital and after hearing him made the now famous observation:
"After a few exchanges, the director introduced this talented pupil. A short red-haired boy shook hands rather timidly and went straight to the piano. With the first few bars of the Appassionata by Beethoven, I felt I was in the presence of a true God-given talent. I wanted to hear more and he played the still little-known Jeux d'eau by Ravel like a finished master. I kissed him on both cheeks and took his name, which was Emil Gilels."
Paul Naud

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 06:31:18 PM
finally heard the Ormandy!  It's awesome.  The Cluytens version has a very special 1st mvt but overall the Ormandy is the most intense.  I love it!

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: May 07, 2006, 06:46:47 PM
Gilels is pure class.
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline mandel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: May 07, 2006, 09:54:48 PM
there will never be another gilels. Three favourites:

Liszt Sonata - no other recording comes close
Chopin Ballad no.1 Live in Moscow - celestial energy
Prokofieff Sonata no.3 video - just amazing

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: May 07, 2006, 09:57:40 PM
That Prokofiev 3rd is some of the most electrifying playing i've ever seen.
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: May 07, 2006, 11:12:57 PM
That Prokofiev 3rd is some of the most electrifying playing i've ever seen.

True.

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 08:32:41 PM

With the first few bars of the Appassionata by Beethoven, I felt I was in the presence of a true God-given talent...
Artur Rubinstein

alejo_90

Gilels' record of the "APPASSIONATA" must rank among the finest ever made. His art is so totally at the service of the composer and his playing is so subtle and poetic that this familiar sonata emerges as fresh experience. With artistry of this power criticism is silenced.

Paul Naud

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 09:08:56 PM

Gilels' record of the "APPASSIONATA" must rank among the finest ever made. His art is so totally at the service of the composer and his playing is so subtle and poetic that this familiar sonata emerges as fresh experience. With artistry of this power criticism is silenced.

Have you heard his live rec?

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: February 27, 2007, 10:12:13 PM
There are at least a couple live Gilels performances of the piece.

Here's the super-fast Prague performance from the 50s. Its a rare recording, so I encoded it at a low bitrate.  ;D Enjoy.  :)

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 12:11:34 AM
Here's the super-fast Prague performance from the 50s. Its a rare recording, so I encoded it at a low bitrate.   Enjoy. 

It's a STUNNING performance!!!
MANY THANKS!!!!!!!
Paul Naud

Offline poorman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: March 02, 2007, 06:32:07 PM
We're totally new at "forums", so HOPE we're not doing anything "illegal"...

We want to THANK jakev 2.0 and paulsylviaenaud for ALL their Gilels commentary AND for the beautiful Appassionata "sample"!!

We saw/heard Gilels back in the 1980s at Hill Aud. in Ann Arbor, MI.  His performance was a re-velation and re-creation of something like an exquisite "audio-sculpture".  Moved to tears. Spell binding.  Revealed the "innards" of Beethoven's spirit that drove "out" this composition.

True, one becomes unaware of the performer and immersed] in the music (too small a word) to the exclusion of all else.  When it ended, WE were still "paralyzed" and "out there".

MANY thanks to each of you:  We'll be adding your recommendations to our woefully small collection by Gilels.

Offline dutch_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: March 03, 2007, 03:31:06 PM
and not to forget his Spanish Rhapsody of Liszt.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: March 03, 2007, 04:03:59 PM
and not to forget his Spanish Rhapsody of Liszt.

YES.

I find Gilels' Spanish Rhapsody to be amazingly brilliant. It's very much my favorite rec of that piece.

And that super-fast Appassionata is wikid in its own right, even if I don't like that mvt. played so quickly. It's still very cool.

Phil

Offline acha114

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: March 06, 2007, 06:49:07 PM
There's a site about Gilels, which must have only been running recently.

https://www.emilgilels.com/

Unfortunately most of it seems to be in German or Russian, no English  :(

But lots of good pictures.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert