Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What can I do in class to improve technique/anything?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline musicsdarkangel

• PS Silver Member
What can I do in class to improve technique/anything?
on: February 22, 2006, 05:17:14 PM
I know that I can mentally memorize.... but I can't focus in class because of all of the lecturing and I somewhat have to focus on that as well.

This other topic inspired me to make this one, regarding excersizes that one can do away from the piano to promote dexterity, or really, anything.

So far, I do finger independance excersizes from the Liszt book on my desk, and I do believe that this helps over time.  What else can I do?  is there a way to improve octaves?  Perhaps just using my wrist and hitting the desk over and over?

Offline lufia

• PS Silver Member
Re: What can I do in class to improve technique/anything?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 12:26:26 PM
im currently using a gripmaster now for independant fingers, its not a good idea to use it for at school if ur planning to practice when u go home because ur finger tendons get tired by using it. i use to do 4-5 trills on the desk all the time in class- very effective for independance and strenght,also try 34543 on ur left hand over and over again.

musicality

Offline rapmasterb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 06:04:30 PM
I think its a great idea and i do it myself im just wondering though would it be bad for your joints to be smacking your fingers off a wooden surface?

Offline lufia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 02:17:19 AM
the motion is important. if ur gonna smack ur fingers just don't let it bend backwards (flat fingers).
musicality

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 03:48:03 AM
I do this.

or

or reversed.

Then if I am really bored I will accent particular finger and try to listen to the tapping beat individually and loop around in different combinations of observation.
like: Emphasise 3
1(3)24(3)5(3)42(3)1(3)24 etc

The patterns get tricky sometimes when you emphaises more than 1 finger.

Yeah... life here can get boring sometimes.. lol
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert