Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Advice On a Piano Regimen Requested  (Read 1957 times)

Offline tumababa

• PS Silver Member
Advice On a Piano Regimen Requested
on: October 25, 2003, 09:23:15 PM
Here's the deal.  I have a master plan to go to UBC and study composition(At which I humbly think I have talent).  The problem is, I'm not really proficient in any instrument I could use for composing(I became a drummer when I quit piano) and while I can play a number of other instruments with a small degree of proficency, none of them are up enough to get into a school like UBC.  I've decided to hit the piano.  Both because it's close proximity to the percussion family will help me out and I played it as a child for five years.  I'm trying to get a practice regimen together that will get my chops in to shape.

Scales don't seem to be too hard for me.  I can learn hands together four octaves without much trouble.  Arpeggios are another matter.  They will take some time.  I've been doing the Brahms method of accenting the first note, then the second, and so on.  It seems to help.  I've also bought a book by Dohnanyi(Spelling) called finger excercices which I plan to do 30 minutes of everyday.  I found a site detailing grade 8 expectations and have set the following goals for myself(Please feel free to add/change/subtract any of these).

Major/Natural+Melodic+Harmonic minor scales in all keys, four octaves, hands together and separate

Major/Minor/Dominant arpeggios, four octaves, hands together and separate

Any other stuff I should be picking up? How important is speed?

Offline PianoProfBonsWay

• PS Silver Member
Re: Advice On a Piano Regimen Requested
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 07:03:32 AM
Besides what you want to handle in that performance level, how is your theory? I teach that level of performance with theory understanding as you build your performance.  The piano is a wonderful instrument ~ gives one so much satisfaction.

PianoProfBonsWay
fastwaypianomethod@msn.com
Bonnie Woodruff
Prof. B.J. Woodruff
Bon's Way Fastrak Piano Educational System

Offline tumababa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 06:08:46 AM
I like to think I have a decent understanding of theory.  I've read Piston's books on Harmony, counterpoint, and orchestration.  I've been analyzing scores for a while now.  I'm currently working through Bach's chorales and when I get through that, it's on to Beethoven's 9th and I'll cap it with the rite of spring(I don't think I'll every actually FINISH the rite but I can at least analyze my favorite parts).  So in short, I'm more concerned with technical aspects.  

Offline PianoProfBonsWay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 07:15:22 AM
GREAT to hear that you are reading theory well!!  Do you understand the laws of theory-action and why?  Like, if you were in a Augmented 5th, what three options do you have in its resolution?

My European black key technique is ten chapters ~ wonderful study for technique (and theory).
Prof. B.J. Woodruff

Offline tumababa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 04:10:25 AM
That I would be a little shaky on but I think I could deduce where an aug 5 would want to resolve to(I assume you're talking about the interval and not the chord).

So with C and G# I would presume that the G# would want to go to A or the C would want to go to either D flat or B.  The reason I didn't say G# resolving to G is because if it were to resolve that way the interval would have to be considered a minor sixth.  

Offline PianoProfBonsWay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 05:38:46 AM
No, I was talking about Triad-form of Augmented 5th, sorry.  I have thirty chapters of all continued education of Musicianship Training, where one would know what the great masters knew.  It came from the Great Masters, unpublished work.  I love it!  You have applied some serious studying, keep it up ~ you will make it. European study also makes a difference.  If you have an opportunity to study in Europe or with someone from Europe makes a great difference in your performance and knowledge. I studied with an European Concert Artist for 6 years.   Best Regards.
Prof. B.J. Woodruff
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert