Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Fingering Question Bach 2part Invention 10  (Read 4913 times)

Offline tac-tics

• PS Silver Member
Fingering Question Bach 2part Invention 10
on: March 15, 2006, 08:56:23 PM
I'm off at Spring break, and I can't ask my teacher this week, but I have a fingering question in Bach's twp-part Invention no. 10.

At measure 26 in the LH, there's a D major arpeggio acending and descending, and immediately afterwards, it walks down the scale from C to A. My question is, what is an appropriate fingering to transition from the apeggio to the C?. Trying to cross my thumb under seems a bit difficult. Is there any better way?

Offline cosine

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering Question Bach 2part Invention 10
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:10:17 PM
I went to go play that measure, and also played the measure before it and the measure after (at tempo) it to see what fingering challenges would pop up.

What do you find difficult about crossing the thumb underneath? That's what I do, and I don't find it uncomfortable or feeling unusual.

Offline tac-tics

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:59:55 PM
It's just more of a stretch than in any other piece I've worked on. If that's the usual way to do it, I guess I'll just practice it more like that.

Offline cosine

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:30:37 PM
Are you more of a beginner? I cross my thumb under all the time, which is why I don't think it feels funny. Over time you become accustomed to certain movements, and just do them without closely analyzing how they feel. (Because by then they feel natural  ;))
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert