Piano Forum

Who's in Charge? - Masterclass in Conducting from the Piano
The list of renowned pianists who have also conducted is long; Barenboim, Schiff, Ushida, Pletnev, Kahane, Anda, Solti and Bernstein. Is conducting from the piano "real conducting”, and what training do you need to be able to do it? The new project ”Conducting from the Piano” by the Géza Anda Foundation in Zurich offers masterclasses and rehearsals with orchestra for pianists wanting to take on the double role of soloist and conductor. Read more >>

Topic: DVDs  (Read 1977 times)

JohnOgdon

DVDs
on: November 07, 2003, 05:02:39 PM
I have just been watching two amazing dvd's - one of berezovsky playing all the transcendentals, and one of Cziffra playing Liszt (inc. grand galop) Chopin and Franck (it also has Moiseiwitsch doing Wagner/Liszt Tannhauser). Has anyone seen these or anything else that's interesting?

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Re: DVDs
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 06:27:35 PM
The Art of Piano, Ashkenazy Observed and Kissin in Tokyo (at the age of 16),
Ed

Offline johnreef

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 06:50:02 PM
Theres a film David Dubal did called Golden Age of the Piano. On the DVD edition it is followed by a complete live performance of Beethoven's 4th concerto with Arrau and Ricardo Muti. Very good.

Offline bachopoven

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 12:03:08 AM
And where can I purchase these in VHS?
"In the beginning was rhythm." - Haydn.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 12:57:45 AM
I have just been watching two amazing dvd's - one of berezovsky playing all the transcendentals, and one of Cziffra playing Liszt (inc. grand galop) Chopin and Franck (it also has Moiseiwitsch doing Wagner/Liszt Tannhauser). Has anyone seen these or anything else that's interesting?

I have some pretty cool videos:

Cziffra playing a lot of things, including Schumann Toccata, and some improvising (which is amazing)

Bolet giving a masterclass on the Rach 3rd from London in the 80's with a very young Barry Douglas, among the students.

Kapell special from the MET (very short recital, unfortunately, the only video of Kapell).

Gavrilov playing a solo recital of Rachmaninoff and Scriabin (plus an amazing Campanella as an encore) from germany, early 80's.
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 01:05:33 AM
Wow, where did you get the Bolet video from ?
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel

Offline bobo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 05:51:44 AM
Hello,

I would very much appreciate a precise reference on the
Cziffra/Tocatta, Kapell, Bolet, and the original 2 DVD references.

It would be nice if a bibliography of piano videos could be put
up some place.

Thanks,
Bobo

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 04:32:58 PM
Wow, where did you get the Bolet video from ?

From a Bolet freak, I really doubt that it's a commercially available video (unfortunately).
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 04:34:09 PM
Hello,

I would very much appreciate a precise reference on the
Cziffra/Tocatta, Kapell, Bolet, and the original 2 DVD references.

It would be nice if a bibliography of piano videos could be put
up some place.

Thanks,
Bobo

Actually, I'm not supposed to have the Kapell video, so don't tell anyone. ;D
 I could get you in contact with president of the Cziffra society if you're interested in any Cziffra materials..just IM me.

Offline erik-

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2003, 06:12:30 PM
I have the following DVDs I enjoy a lot :

- The golden age of the piano, with as a bonus Claudio Arrau performing Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4 with Riccardo Muti and the Philadelphia Orchestra.

- Martha Argerich and Friends. Argerich plays among other pieces Rachmaninov's suite for 2 piano op17 n2 and Ravel's La Valse with Nelson Freire.

- Martha Argerich Plays Schumann Piano Concerto in A minor, Liszt Funerailles, Ravel Jeux d'Eau. The sound on this one is not very good though.

Offline bachopoven

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 11:48:32 PM
The bookstores or Amazon.com don't see to carry these, except for just a few, and if available in bookstores, only in DVD.

So where do you get all these videos in VHS?
"In the beginning was rhythm." - Haydn.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert