Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Clipping your nails  (Read 2584 times)

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Clipping your nails
on: November 16, 2003, 12:06:30 AM
Have you ever played a fast and intricate piece and you caught a fingernail in a crack?  Ouch- worst feeling ever.  Ive found that clipping them before hand is a good idea- anyone else do this>?
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Clipping your nails
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 03:38:54 PM
Have you ever played a fast and intricate piece and you caught a fingernail in a crack?  Ouch- worst feeling ever.  Ive found that clipping them before hand is a good idea- anyone else do this>?

Not just cathching a fingernail in a crack - btw, that's far from the worst feeling in the world - keeping your nails short will keep them from clicking on the keys, which is very annoying.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Wired

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 06:14:02 PM
I have a horrible habit of chewing them, so they're pretty short most of the time  :-/

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 01:11:19 AM
I have a horrible habit of chewing them, so they're pretty short most of the time  :-/

Just don't chew them too short or you'll be playing through pain!
Ed

Offline Wired

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 02:01:55 AM

Just don't chew them too short or you'll be playing through pain!

Don't worry, after this much time, it's down to a science. They're always picture perfect :P

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 06:48:03 AM
hey my fingernails actually start 2 crack if i leave them for too long. that gets pretty annoying
rach on!

Offline erak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 01:59:51 PM
I have the same bad habit as Wired  :-/. But I'm not as evolved in the art of fingernail chewing as him, and I tend to bite in the flesh or pull out a piece of flesh. This hurts like a *** when I have to play. And, I'm too lazy to clip them... Oh well, I learned to live with it, and try to be more careful when chewing:D.

Offline rEdundant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 10:41:52 PM
From my point of view, I find the chewing method to be much more effective than the conventional clipping. Risky, but achieves a better finish if done correctly...
mmmmm......staccato.

Offline erak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 11:22:45 PM
And, you can do it right before a concert so no need to bring a clipper! tadaa, all your nail problems solved! :p

Offline rEdundant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 11:37:34 PM
Fantastic.
mmmmm......staccato.

Offline ylling

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 07:11:06 AM
Talk about nails, I have started to teach a friend piano. She is keen to learn but refuse to trim her nails, she keeps long nails. Should I persuade her on cutting her nails short, or should I just ignore the "rule" where nails should be short for piano playing ?

Offline erak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 11:47:30 PM
She has to cut her nails short! It can be SOOO very painful, and it messes up your hand stand. You start playing with flat fingers if you have long nails
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert