Piano Forum

Cremona Musica's 2021 Edition
The annual music exhibition Cremona Musica opened up again after its digital 2020 edition. A rich program utilizing the new worldwide digital reality to enhance the experience of the physical event. Clearly, the pandemic has not only led to thriving business for traditional instrument makers but also increased the music world's knowledge about technological solutions and its products. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu  (Read 2089 times)

Offline nridge

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu
on: November 16, 2003, 07:21:14 PM
I'm currently [slowly] working on Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu. My problem is that I can't put my hands together; it's very difficult for me to put the left hand triplets with the right hand sixteenth notes. I've been playing each hand separately with a metronome, and it works fine. But when I try to put them together, even slowly, I get off after the first three notes or so that the hands are together! Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

-Nicole
-Nicole

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 03:23:28 AM
Do a search here because there is a lot of discussion here about that piece, due to it's popularity.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Sherif_Gaafar

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 12:40:43 AM
Most things in the piano are like improving at tennis - you just gradually get better with practice. But mastering the 4/3 rhythm is more like juggling. It seems impossible, you keep trying, it still seems impossible, and then suddenly it clicks and it's very easy. I still remember the evening when this happened (and it was with this same piece). However, there is some ground-work you can do to make it easier:
Ok this is what I did. I used Octamed (an old Amiga music composing package) to play two notes a third a part with one voice playing triplets and the other playing quadruplets repeatedly. I could speed this up, slow it down, and generally get a feel for how the rhythm sounds. Then I tried it slowly at the keyboard, just with two notes. Then I tried it on the piece slowly. Then I sped it up...
If you don't have a computer, then split up the beat into 12ths on paper and slowly work out how the rhythm would sound, with just two notes, and continue as above. Trust me, I thought it was impossible as well, and I cracked it in just one evening!

Good luck!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert