Piano Forum logo
November 18, 2017, 11:31:50 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

No Great Music Without Great Tension

Anthony Tommassini, classical music critic for The New York Times, invites us all to a mini-lecture at the piano on dissonance. With a series of examples by well known composers, Tommassini elaborates on one of the most crucial components in Western music. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liszt Sonata - alternate ending  (Read 2200 times)
tompilk
PS Silver Member

« on: April 11, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »

I read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_(Liszt) that the liszt sonata had an alternate ending, although written, never really acknowledged or played - is there a recording with this ending? Does anyone else know of teh ending? Perhaps sheet music?
THanks,
Tom
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

piano sheet music of Sonata
donjuan
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:41:22 PM »

the line from the article is

The quiet ending of the sonata may have been an afterthought; the manuscript, the only copy of which is available in the Pierpont Morgan Library in New York City, contains a crossed-out ending section which would have ended the work in a loud flourish instead. (Alan Walker, Franz Liszt: The Weimar Years, 1848–1861, Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1989, page 156. This is in the middle of an extensive analysis of the sonata, pp. 149–157.)

the loud ending was written, but not published.  And I cant find any Leslie Howard recording of it.  Liszt obviously changed his mind really quickly and scratched it out before anyone would hear it.  It certainly doesnt seem like the revisions he made to his etudes, which has 3 versions spanning 50 years!  He sketched his B Minor sonata in 1851, composed it 52-53, and published in 54. He was a good composer by this time, and didn't need to go through with publishing a crap version that would have to be edited later, as he did in many of his works. 
tompilk
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:55:47 PM »

it still would be good if we could hear it - i get the impression that this ending was completed. However, on Liszt complete piano music, it's not played (95 cd set off torrent - www.pianosheets.org - highly recommended)
Why hasn't anyone played it? They obviously have the music... although i do like the quiet ending (dare i say a slight anticlimax especially for Liszt?)
Tom

Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas
liszt1022
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:03:25 AM »

The original ending is printed in the Dover book called "Sonata in B minor and other works for piano." I don't see that Leslie Howard has ever recorded it.
liszt1022
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 03:05:28 AM »

Why hasn't anyone played it? They obviously have the music... although i do like the quiet ending (dare i say a slight anticlimax especially for Liszt?)
Tom

The ending as it stands is genius. It
1. ties up the themes used throughout the work
2. doesn't leave the listener with "wow! what an ending!" Instead it leaves you with an impression of the work overall, which to me is much more effective.
tompilk
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 08:46:36 AM »

The ending as it stands is genius. It
1. ties up the themes used throughout the work
2. doesn't leave the listener with "wow! what an ending!" Instead it leaves you with an impression of the work overall, which to me is much more effective.
i agree, but id still like to hear it! i get the impression that im not going to now...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: