Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Scriabin Etude in E Major Op. 8, No. 5  (Read 5119 times)

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Scriabin Etude in E Major Op. 8, No. 5
on: April 13, 2006, 04:52:25 AM
I decided to give my new digital camera a go and see how it records.  At the same time, I've JUST finished memorizing this etude and want to get comments and suggestions from all you pros out there on execution and interpretation.  I recorded it at my home and not at my studio, therefore it's on my digital piano and not my M&H grand. 

I need to save up some money and buy a good mic for my laptop, but in the meantime, there's this vid.

Comments/suggestions are requested and appreciated.  Thanks!!  Josh ;D

Here's the link:

https://media.putfile.com/Scriabin-Etude-in-E-Op-8-No-12
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Scriabin Etude in E Major Op. 8, No. 5
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:35:26 PM
I never heard that one before ???

But your playing made it one of my favorites ;D
the metranome is my enemy

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 05:48:44 AM
I don't seem to be able to get to the link. Is it necessary to register?
By the way, I play this etude too...definitely one of my favourites!

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 06:26:26 AM
It seems like mac users have been experiencing difficulty with this site.  :-\ I will try to put the video on google and see if that works.
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 09:37:33 PM
Here's a new URL for the video.  If the above link doesn't work for you, you can view the video on Google Video here:

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2643783458204068212

;D 8)
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 05:12:28 AM
Excellent! I used to play this piece myself - used to because I haven't practiced it in a long time, and can't play it now without a truckload of wrong notes, and I must say I like your interpretation, very musical, especially in your choice of tempo and rubato. I do take it at similar tempo, maybe slightly faster, but it seems more judicious to slow it down, thinking about it. You take care not to rush the tempo, even when there is a temptation to do so (e.g. in the last page, where the triplets come up). Great job!

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 05:21:40 AM
Just wanted to ask one thing. Which are your favourite recordings of this etude? Mine are Sofronitzky's, Richter's, Chitose Okashiro and Elena Kuschernova.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 08:28:26 AM
Excellent! I used to play this piece myself - used to because I haven't practiced it in a long time, and can't play it now without a truckload of wrong notes, and I must say I like your interpretation, very musical, especially in your choice of tempo and rubato. I do take it at similar tempo, maybe slightly faster, but it seems more judicious to slow it down, thinking about it. You take care not to rush the tempo, even when there is a temptation to do so (e.g. in the last page, where the triplets come up). Great job!

Part of the reason for the tempo I took is the fact that since I just memorized it, I'm still practically plunking out the notes.  I can't take it faster at the moment without sacrificing something.
Still, I think it works at this tempo as well...
Thanks! :)
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 10:45:31 AM
I think it works well at this tempo, don't play it any faster. This is not an etude where one has to be really fast - in fact, sometimes I think I play it too fast. More importantly is to phrase it lyrically and give it the impression of "flight", I think.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 07:58:22 AM
Just wanted to ask one thing. Which are your favourite recordings of this etude? Mine are Sofronitzky's, Richter's, Chitose Okashiro and Elena Kuschernova.

Of those, I've only heard Sofranitzky and Richter.  My personal favorite is Sofranitzky.  Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get his Scriabin recordings here in the US?

Another good recording I heard recently is by Alexander Paley.

I think my performance of this has improved since this recording.  I will try and post a new video in a few weeks, as well as possibly some other things I'm working on.
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 08:24:26 AM
I've never heard a digital piano played so beautifully. Don't do anything more to this, it's perfect as it is (but most probably far from perfect in your own mind, which is always the case with pianists: we always have something which - to us - makes it imperfect, but which listeners cannot hear or understand the imperfection.)

You say you could have recorded it in your studio. When might that be? I'd love to hear it on a grand acoustic.

^_^
Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hδssler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Gliθre- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline mwhite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 03:37:20 PM
Beautiful!  Thanks for sharing.
Mike White
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert